User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #1966
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,606
I also wanted to say had a bad maiden with the Storch....I lost my Panther with this old FM radio and now this with the Durafly Storch....so I have grounded my entire FM fleet and ordered in 7 new orange receivers.

I am going to try to imbed the video of the maiden...careful there is an F-bomb in there, but the radio just went nutz. After "set" down the trans and walked to the plane and the control surfaces are just going crazy....plane went down with very little damage, broke prop and a small crack in the plastic window....that is it.

While I had the plane in the air it flew very nice....need to mess with the expo a bit for my taste but a very nice stable scale looking plane.

on to the video....I hope....don't laugh at my white legs.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #1967
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
That was quite the strange crash...good that the plane came out of it with minimal damage though.

Tower Hobbies and HeadsupRC orders came in today! Tactic 650 radio and my motor and esc are getting put in the FT Flyer. Hopefully the maiden will be in a few days!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #1968
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
You need to measure the inside diameter of the female side- which you may not have, and you may not have calipers.

Head to your local hobby shop, they'll be so glad to see someone they'll let you ease the staple out and try a few. If you have one, I have a couple I can reach, I'm lucky.
I was having a brain fart...had my Mitutoyo dial calipers which are SAE and kept thinking they were metric....1/3" looked way too big for 3mm! Turns out I was measuring .135" which just happens to be around 3.5mm

I ordered 100 connectors from HK USA...should be here tomorrow.

Thanks

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #1969
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Looks like you had a ton more throw than needed, but managed it nicely after take off.

Is this a Futaba FM radio? My Super 9 was doing weird stuff, wouldn't pass a range check. I found the male pins that the RF module plugs into all had bad solder joints. Open up your radio and touch a soldering iron to every solder pad you see that looks dull. Might just fix you right up!

After using my new Spektrum 8 I'm going to cash all my Futaba gear. No reason to keep it around, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I also wanted to say had a bad maiden with the Storch....I lost my Panther with this old FM radio and now this with the Durafly Storch....so I have grounded my entire FM fleet and ordered in 7 new orange receivers.

I am going to try to imbed the video of the maiden...careful there is an F-bomb in there, but the radio just went nutz. After "set" down the trans and walked to the plane and the control surfaces are just going crazy....plane went down with very little damage, broke prop and a small crack in the plastic window....that is it.

While I had the plane in the air it flew very nice....need to mess with the expo a bit for my taste but a very nice stable scale looking plane.

on to the video....I hope....don't laugh at my white legs.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 07-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #1970
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

It was bound to happen....24' pool in my backyard, little RC things flying around...

I dumped the Crack Yak Mini in the pool. Was doing knife edge spins to a flat spin and got too low. Plunk. Pulled the motor/esc (all one unit on this plane) and blew it out with compressed air, then a shot of WD40. Same for the receiver and blew the whole plane off with air. 10 minutes later....back in the air with renewed powah! I guess the motor needed a little cleaning!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #1971
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
It was bound to happen....24' pool in my backyard, little RC things flying around...

I dumped the Crack Yak Mini in the pool. Was doing knife edge spins to a flat spin and got too low. Plunk. Pulled the motor/esc (all one unit on this plane) and blew it out with compressed air, then a shot of WD40. Same for the receiver and blew the whole plane off with air. 10 minutes later....back in the air with renewed powah! I guess the motor needed a little cleaning!

Nice save! I would have thought it would have shorted the second it hit water and fried something.

On other news, finally maidened my FT Flyer. And, well it flew
No video I'm afraid as I was solo. It wasn't pretty but I managed to keep it in the air. Flys a lil bit faster than I was expecting for something with such a large wing area and I had my CG a lil far forward so I was fighting a nosedive constantly. But here is a post flight pic to show it survived.

Now I just need to set in some dual rate and expo on my Tactic 650 to tame it down a lil. Was pretty twitchy. 2nd flight tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #1972
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Looks like you had a ton more throw than needed, but managed it nicely after take off.

Is this a Futaba FM radio? My Super 9 was doing weird stuff, wouldn't pass a range check. I found the male pins that the RF module plugs into all had bad solder joints. Open up your radio and touch a soldering iron to every solder pad you see that looks dull. Might just fix you right up!

After using my new Spektrum 8 I'm going to cash all my Futaba gear. No reason to keep it around, IMO.
Yes...TONS too much throw. Those Chinese manuals are only manuals in that they have some words and pictures on them....nothing real useful.

Yes it is a Futaba t7chp...old as the hills but always a good radio. I may open it up, but like you I have a DX7 spektrum and I think that is the way I will go. So far I have had real good luck with the orange Rec. so I ordered about 7 of those. I was thinking about selling it and all my Rec, but don't want anyone to lose a plane because of the radio I sold them.

I may open up the Futaba and look, but after losing my Panther, and now this....plus I go back to think of some of the other strange stuff...perhaps it was on its way out and I have just been lucky.

On a side note the motor for my 1400mm P40 came in yesterday, and I got it mounted, plus I worked on the flaps a bit. I am waiting for so many parts, Bonanza, P40, B25 all waiting for motors, speedos, then half the stuff I have is getting new Rec.....so I am going to be busy. I also bought a 1000mm hurricane and a Ju-52 that is going to be a 3 motor project, that are still on the way.

Right now I need stuff to keep my mind busy....Got my best bud back from the vet yesterday....they give him 6-8 months....he has cancer....I can't look at him without balling....so like always he will lay under the table and I will work on planes....and scratch him with my feet.

FUCK.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #1973
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,685
It RUNS!
The original Tamiya Supershot that I have restored / rebuilt turned a motor for the first time this evening.
no pics at the moment but will follow soon - and some details!

kinda happy, never built an RC car before and its been a long project. Bigwig is near completion too and then there is a Rallye Lancer still in the box - soon!

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #1974
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
It RUNS!
The original Tamiya Supershot that I have restored / rebuilt turned a motor for the first time this evening.

kinda happy, never built an RC car before and its been a long project. Bigwig is near completion too and then there is a Rallye Lancer still in the box - soon!

Hay Ewe
Nice! That is a great feeling isn't it
Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #1975
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,122
Quote:
It RUNS!

Hay Ewe
Congrats.

One of these days I need to get a BB kit for my Hotshot II. Basically the same as the Hotshot 1 but with dual shocks in the rear. The Supershot had independent shocks all around so it was pretty much the same as well. I have a Sassy Chassis for my Hotshot which is an aluminum chassis. They really lighten up the car and give you access to the internals instead of having them buried inside where you can't get to them. Back then you'd seal everything inside and put a balloon over the motor.

The other thing I remember well is that the tires for the Hotshot series were really tough and didn't wear much at all even on asphalt.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #1976
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Congrats.

One of these days I need to get a BB kit for my Hotshot II. Basically the same as the Hotshot 1 but with dual shocks in the rear. The Supershot had independent shocks all around so it was pretty much the same as well. I have a Sassy Chassis for my Hotshot which is an aluminum chassis. They really lighten up the car and give you access to the internals instead of having them buried inside where you can't get to them. Back then you'd seal everything inside and put a balloon over the motor.

The other thing I remember well is that the tires for the Hotshot series were really tough and didn't wear much at all even on asphalt.
Tinkering and tidying up the radio kit. The on / off switch is driving this, its original place is in the top part of the chassis. That hole is too big so looking at a new location. Also, looks like I am going to mount the radio kit to the underside of the top chassis and the tub underneath will only have the steering servo in it, I think this way it will make it easier and tidier to access. will pick up some double sided tape tomorrow and some loom string.

hmmm, sassy chassis.... will google

will be pics and a decent write up some time soon

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Old 07-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #1977
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Nice! That is a great feeling isn't it
Yep, thanks
still got a fair bit to do, see my post above about install / tidy the radio kit. away this weekend and the next weekend and so just evening tinkering time - which will be ok, might get it finished for the following weekend!

thanks
Hay Ewe
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #1978
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,824
My first "real" RC was an original Hotshot. Wish I still had it.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #1979
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,122
Quote:
Tinkering and tidying up the radio kit. The on / off switch is driving this, its original place is in the top part of the chassis. That hole is too big so looking at a new location. Also, looks like I am going to mount the radio kit to the underside of the top chassis and the tub underneath will only have the steering servo in it, I think this way it will make it easier and tidier to access. will pick up some double sided tape tomorrow and some loom string.

hmmm, sassy chassis.... will google

will be pics and a decent write up some time soon

Hay Ewe
Not mine but a Sassy Chassis Hotshot converted to 4 shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
My first "real" RC was an original Hotshot. Wish I still had it.

Sean
They still make it... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRXV8&P=FR

Jeffy screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 02:48 PM
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #1980
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

When looking at Tamiya stuff give Tamiya USA a look....a while back they had the silver edition of the Rough Rider on sale for around $170...tower wanted quite a bit more. It is still sitting in the box....I am working on a Sand Scorcher....I also have another source for Tamiya.....much cheaper again....I will see if I can find it...it may be out of date, I was racing a 417 at the time....around 2009 or so.

I really loved road racing....but kinda fell out of it a few years ago. I may get back into it....If I do off road it will be with my old gold tub RC10.....they are re-making that again as well.

FPGT72 screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 03:19 PM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: