User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #2026
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,132
Flew my DW Yak today. This one has probably 30 flights on it at the most, and it's already time for a new one. Gotten pretty beat up from sitting in the hangar, might get a new one sometime soon..

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #2027
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Flew my DW Yak today. This one has probably 30 flights on it at the most, and it's already time for a new one. Gotten pretty beat up from sitting in the hangar, might get a new one sometime soon..
How does it get beat up sitting in the hanger?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #2028
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 600
A video from today - me flying the camera ship - a VisionAire.. And I was chasing a buddy with an Apprentice 15e.

It's tough to stay on someone's 6' without having a first person perspective!!

Had one near head-on collision that would have been pretty spectacular. hahaa

Watch in full screen/HD

Old 08-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #2029
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,679
Hi all

Some help please.
Recently I got a Tamiya Supershot running, but using all new / modern radio equipment. (pics here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2023 )

I have a :-
radio - Flysky FS-GT2B ( http://www.flysky-cn.com/eShowProducts.asp?id=51 )
receiver - Flysky FSGR3E (3channel 2.4G) ( http://www.flysky-cn.com/eShowProducts.asp?id=51 )
steering servo - Hi-tec HS-325HB
ESC - Novatech 84222 Brushed ESC ( http://www.novatech-tw.com/products/...&language=_eng )
battery - LRP Wild Pack NiMH 7.2V 1600 ( http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/vtec-b...kpack/details/ )
motor - Dynamite DYN1172 15-Turn Brushed motor
am running a 19t pinion - because thats what it had.

I was on bit of a budget and not looking for super high system, just for running around the yard.

What happens is two things:-
1) after a few minutes the car will stop running, just slow down and stop. Then after a moment, it will drive again, for a few moments and then the same, slow and stop.

What I think is happening is the ESC is overheating and has a thermal cut out (it does, instructions say so). The ESC is in the radio box on the Supershot so there is no where for the heat to go.
When it starts doing this, it takes longer for the same to happen when there is no load on it i.e. when I am holding it off the ground.

What can I do to improve the duration? move the ESC? go with the original speed control set up? cooling fins on the motor?

2) with the above set up, how long a battery / run time should I expect? after not very long, it starts juddering and running slower. this after maybe 5 minutes up and down the street. I defiantly expected longer run time than this.

thanks

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #2030
River
Gee

Oddometer: 170
I have a few toys

some of my cars

sometimes they hit things...ok, lots of times

I just got into to crawling and have a Losi nightcrawler. no pics yet
Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #2031
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Cooling fins on the motor will not help you...if the ESC is getting hot has nothing to do with the temp of the motor. I would first try to get the speedo some air....any air. There is a reason that you see many new speed controllers come with a little fan, not unlike a CPU fan...they do get quite warm.

You are going to have to change the gearing with the setup you have....IIRC Tamiya used metric gears but that should not be a real problem for you living in the land of Oz. Go down a few teeth is going to be the most inexpensive thing for you to do.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #2032
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

thanks FPGT72

so if i go smaller pinion, there will be less load on the motor, there fore less current draw and there fore the ESC wont get so warm?

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #2033
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Ewe,

Couple of suggestions. Instead of just guessing if the ESC is going into thermal shutdown, check it with a temp gun or your finger. Is it really getting hot? I'm not totally familiar with the Supershot, but can you run it without the box that the ESC is in just to make access easier?

I really have a hard time seeing an ESC overheat on a 15t brushed setup if everything is working normally. They just don't pull that much power.

Here is what I would check as well if the ESC is not overheating.

Any binding in the driveline. Take the motor loose and start spinning things, make sure that there is no binding anywhere. Are you using bearings in the driveline or bushings?

With the motor out make sure that it isn't bound up as well. Can you check the brushes on that motor to see if they are running with full contact to the comm?

Is the ESC set up to LiPo mode? If that is the case when the voltage of the NiMh drops the ESC thinks that the battery is dead when it really isn't. When you charge the battery after this happens how many MAh are you putting back in? The full 1600 or less?

One other thought. The Supershot is a pretty heavy 4x4 kit and it's not going to be terribly efficient to run. Back in the day when these were new my buddy would get about 5 min run time out of a 1200 MAh battery (all we had at the time) That battery you have does seem awfully small for that size rig. Will a larger capacity battery fit in there? I run 3000 NiMh in my Traxxas rigs and get about 15-20 min. Or I have a 6500 Lipo that I can get almost an hour out of.

Sorry if that is long winded, just wanted to give you several avenues to explore.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #2034
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
thanks FPGT72

so if i go smaller pinion, there will be less load on the motor, there fore less current draw and there fore the ESC wont get so warm?

Hay Ewe

Yes, all things being equal a smaller pinion will give you less heat and longer run time at the expense of top end speed.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #2035
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Pilot View Post
How does it get beat up sitting in the hanger?
Moved all over the place often, bumped into things, stuff bumps into it, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
Hi all

Some help please.
Recently I got a Tamiya Supershot running, but using all new / modern radio equipment. (pics here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2023 )

I have a :-
radio - Flysky FS-GT2B ( http://www.flysky-cn.com/eShowProducts.asp?id=51 )
receiver - Flysky FSGR3E (3channel 2.4G) ( http://www.flysky-cn.com/eShowProducts.asp?id=51 )
steering servo - Hi-tec HS-325HB
ESC - Novatech 84222 Brushed ESC ( http://www.novatech-tw.com/products/...&language=_eng )
battery - LRP Wild Pack NiMH 7.2V 1600 ( http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/vtec-b...kpack/details/ )
motor - Dynamite DYN1172 15-Turn Brushed motor
am running a 19t pinion - because thats what it had.

I was on bit of a budget and not looking for super high system, just for running around the yard.

What happens is two things:-
1) after a few minutes the car will stop running, just slow down and stop. Then after a moment, it will drive again, for a few moments and then the same, slow and stop.

What I think is happening is the ESC is overheating and has a thermal cut out (it does, instructions say so). The ESC is in the radio box on the Supershot so there is no where for the heat to go.
When it starts doing this, it takes longer for the same to happen when there is no load on it i.e. when I am holding it off the ground.

What can I do to improve the duration? move the ESC? go with the original speed control set up? cooling fins on the motor?

2) with the above set up, how long a battery / run time should I expect? after not very long, it starts juddering and running slower. this after maybe 5 minutes up and down the street. I defiantly expected longer run time than this.

thanks

Hay Ewe
Sounds like either thermal shutdown (you need to verify this via temp gun or some kind of temp sensor, anything above 165*F is too hot), or you haven't cycled the battery enough. Takes some 10-15 full charge/discharges with a Nickel cell battery before its full capacity will be achieved.

Typically you will get up to about 8 minutes of run time. Make sure your ESC is set for NiCD mode, it will shut off power flow once the battery reaches about 7.2v. Either that or upgrade to a lithium pack, a 2S 3300 pack will give you somewhere around half an hour of run time.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #2036
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Thanks for your input and responses.
I moved the ESC last night to outside the car
I brought the batteries to work to test them but haven't got to it yet
am going to order up some smaller pinions

I said to the guy in the shop that I was not going to pay big $ but did expect better run time. Interesting about cycling the batteries.

I have a mulitmeter but don't actually know how to use it, that's why i brought them to work, to get help.

will know more in the next few days

thanks again

Hay Ewe
Old 08-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #2037
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

The Buddy Box Conundrum

I come seeking more advice from those wiser than I.

The setup- My girlfriend surprised the heck out of me this evening when I was talking about flying and seemed unusually interested. I asked her if she wanted to learn how to fly and her response was "Absofrikkinloutly!" Well ok then!

Here is the Conundrum. I'm not an experienced flyer. I self taught on a Champ and do OK. However I would still like to be able to teach her how to fly with a buddy box to remove the stress and some of the crashes that I went through when I was learning. To do that I'm considering multiple options.

1. Get 2 new Spektrum radios for the Champ and learn on it. (I only have the stock radio for the Champ, with no buddy box capability on the Spektrum side)

2. Use my Tactic 650 as master, buy a TTX 404 or 600 as slave and a different beginner suitable plane.

3. Some unknown option

Each has it's pro's and cons
If I go with Tactic, I have wireless training and a radio I'm already familiar with. But then I have to find a suitable plane.

If I go with Spektrum I have to buy 2 new radios $$ But then I could use my Champ which is an excellent trainer plane.

Which way would ya'all go?
Old 08-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #2038
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
First I think it would be how you define "do ok"....if that means up and down with no drama that is one thing, if it means I just can't get the hang of a knife edge at 6" of the ground that is another.

If you are getting up and down can do fig. 8's and just about every basic thing out there I would say you are going to be ok...but be ready for a mishap. When you train someone you take over right when the other person lost it....that means you have to recover it, or recover it as they said back in the day. You need a realistic look at your abilities and then go from there...and only you know what that is. If you still are ready to give it a go then I would say step up to better transmitters....where that is would be a personal choice, but Spektrum is not a bad way to go. If you are going to stay in the hobby a "good" radio will take you a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
The Buddy Box Conundrum

The setup- My girlfriend surprised the heck out of me this evening when I was talking about flying and seemed unusually interested. I asked her if she wanted to learn how to fly and her response was "Absofrikkinloutly!" Well ok then!

Here is the Conundrum. I'm not an experienced flyer. I self taught on a Champ and do OK. However I would still like to be able to teach her how to fly with a buddy box to remove the stress and some of the crashes that I went through when I was learning. To do that I'm considering multiple options.

1. Get 2 new Spektrum radios for the Champ and learn on it. (I only have the stock radio for the Champ, with no buddy box capability on the Spektrum side)

2. Use my Tactic 650 as master, buy a TTX 404 or 600 as slave and a different beginner suitable plane.

3. Some unknown option

If I go with Tactic, I have wireless training and a radio I'm already familiar with. But then I have to find a suitable plane.

If I go with Spektrum I have to buy 2 new radios $$ But then I could use my Champ which is an excellent trainer plane.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #2039
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,001
I don't know about the wiser part, but I'm certainly full of opinion...

I'd buy a couple used DX6 radios and a cable and fly. If she gets bored or wants to upgrade you can sell the 6s for nearly what you paid for them. You should be able to buy these for around $60-$75 each. They'll do everything you need.

You have a plane you're familiar with so use it.

Oh ya...get video...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
The Buddy Box Conundrum

3. Some unknown option

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #2040
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,450
If any of you inmates are in / near the Delaware area, I have a few planes for sale. PM me.

I have a few to many for the amount of room I have store them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: