Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #2041
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
First I think it would be how you define "do ok"....if that means up and down with no drama that is one thing, if it means I just can't get the hang of a knife edge at 6" of the ground that is another.

If you are getting up and down can do fig. 8's and just about every basic thing out there I would say you are going to be ok...but be ready for a mishap. When you train someone you take over right when the other person lost it....that means you have to recover it, or recover it as they said back in the day. You need a realistic look at your abilities and then go from there...and only you know what that is. If you still are ready to give it a go then I would say step up to better transmitters....where that is would be a personal choice, but Spektrum is not a bad way to go. If you are going to stay in the hobby a "good" radio will take you a long way.

Ah yes, "Do ok" is open to interpretation. With my Champ I can do figure 8's easy, loops, fly in a pretty tight space, land with almost no bounce on the wheels. I have intentionally put myself in a strange attitude and gotten out of it on almost every occasion. I would say I'm confident beginner/low intermediate.

I also was talking to a friend on RC Groups and he happened to have a TTX 404 Tactic transmitter that he pulled out of a RTF that he is going to send me, for free He didn't have any use for it. Just luck on that one

So that takes care of the buddy box issue, now I just need to find a Flyzone plane that would be a good beginner. Their micro cub would have similar flight characteristics as the Champ, or maybe the Playmate. I don't think I could go wrong either way.

Some don't like micros for learning but the Champ taught me well and I think I stick with that. Just wish I could fly it on SLT instead of DSM. Oh well, a Playmate is only $70 and that is a pretty small investment for a trainer plane.

Thanks all for your ideas and I will certainly try to get video!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #2042
S3bird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191

This would be my mini ERevo. My wife bought it for me three years ago for my birthday and its proved to be pretty durable other than occasionally spitting out u-joints. Other than running lipo's and some RPM rear a arms its stock or stock replacement parts. I just put a another beetle body on, but the new one is more of a lime green.

I got a quad copter this year for my birthday but I have yet to really play with it much as its seems to be always too windy.
S3bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #2043
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Once the stock tires wear out try an aftermarket set from Pro Line that suits your main driving surface. You'll be amazed at how much more traction you have.

And is that brushed or brushless?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #2044
i_4ce
wants a WeeStrom

Oddometer: 237
The brushed motors in my old E-Revo went kaput. Atleast I think so. I hooked up a voltmeter to the leads off of the speed control and when I throttle up it just goes from 0 to 19 volts. I just found it strange that both motors were dead. One must have died a long time ago and I though the lack of performance were old batteries.

So I need some replacements. I would like to keep it cheap. I want at least the same performance. Pretty much everything is stock on the car. I'm using two 8.4v NiMH batteries.

Can someone send me a link of what motors I need to buy. I'm hoping I can use the original pinions. And I guess I'll also need capacitors to solder to the motor. Never understood what the capacitors were for...

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #2045
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,442
One thing to remember is the bigger the plane GENERALLY the better it will fly.

IIRC the champ is a 3 channel plane. Nothing wrong with that, and it would likely be a good plane to start her out on. I would generally like to see someone have a good mastery of a full 4ch plane before trying to start someone else out.

Also don't limit yourself to just flyzone, check out some other planes as well. Personally I think that Park Zone make some darn good planes....not starter planes, but just planes. You also should take a look at one of the EasyStar clones that are out there....about the same price as the champ...and a plane that can be used for other things. Easy* make great trainers, as well as a basic glider, and camera platform. Radion's are also fun, but a little faster but still 3 channel...both of these are a little like the foam planes we had as a kid that you would toss and they would glide a long way.

It is great when your girl wants to share your hobby with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Ah yes, "Do ok" is open to interpretation. With my Champ I can do figure 8's easy, loops, fly in a pretty tight space, land with almost no bounce on the wheels. I have intentionally put myself in a strange attitude and gotten out of it on almost every occasion. I would say I'm confident beginner/low intermediate.

I also was talking to a friend on RC Groups and he happened to have a TTX 404 Tactic transmitter that he pulled out of a RTF that he is going to send me, for free He didn't have any use for it. Just luck on that one

So that takes care of the buddy box issue, now I just need to find a Flyzone plane that would be a good beginner. Their micro cub would have similar flight characteristics as the Champ, or maybe the Playmate. I don't think I could go wrong either way.

Some don't like micros for learning but the Champ taught me well and I think I stick with that. Just wish I could fly it on SLT instead of DSM. Oh well, a Playmate is only $70 and that is a pretty small investment for a trainer plane.

Thanks all for your ideas and I will certainly try to get video!
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #2046
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3bird View Post
I got a quad copter this year for my birthday but I have yet to really play with it much as its seems to be always too windy.
If you can back the cars out of the garage close the doors and give it a go. Good place.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #2047
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4ce View Post
The brushed motors in my old E-Revo went kaput. Atleast I think so. I hooked up a voltmeter to the leads off of the speed control and when I throttle up it just goes from 0 to 19 volts. I just found it strange that both motors were dead. One must have died a long time ago and I though the lack of performance were old batteries.

So I need some replacements. I would like to keep it cheap. I want at least the same performance. Pretty much everything is stock on the car. I'm using two 8.4v NiMH batteries.

Can someone send me a link of what motors I need to buy. I'm hoping I can use the original pinions. And I guess I'll also need capacitors to solder to the motor. Never understood what the capacitors were for...

Thanks.
I'm gonna open a can of worms here and feel free to take this advice and throw it out the window.

But since your brushed motors are both done for now would be a great time to go brushless. A Tacon 4074 http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m801-4074-2000kv.html would fit right in there and HW 80a ESC http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezescfor1scr.html will be just a lil over $100 and be a HUGE upgrade in power for you. I might go with a 100a ESC just to give yourself some breathing room but the 80 will work. That will also get you ready to move to LiPo when you want to and really wake that system up.

I recently swiched my Rustler VXL to Lipo and on 2s it was a good difference vs NiMh...But then I went to 3s. Holy Hell! Now this is fast!!!! If you do it, you won't regret it if you're looking for speed.

If you absolutely must stay brushed then I would go with the DeWalt 14.4 volt conversion. The motor is rebuildable unlike the stock Traxxas and you only use 1 motor. Top speed will drop a little but you will have a ton more torque and reliability.
DeWalt motor p/n # 396505-20
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #2048
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 590
Was playing with my buddy's FPV rigs at lunch time today.. It was pretty awesome!!!

Barely flew the two I brought because I was having so much fun with his! haha

Old 08-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #2049
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

I'm kinda locked into Flyzone because of my TTX 650 Tactic transmitter, and now the TTX 404 that I have coming. Although I could buy a Horizon PnP plane and just drop a Tactic Rx in there. That is certainly an option and exactly what I did with my Radian.

Or does everybody run more than one 2.4 Protocol? Say SLT for Flyzone and DSM* for all the Horizon offerings? I'm trying to keep things simple by sticking with one company...Is that a mistake?

The new DX9 ... That is a seriously good bit of kit and would work great for connecting to the stock transmitter than comes with the Champ...it is however $400....still might be worth it in the long run

I just don't think the Radian is a good first plane even with a buddy box. Here is my admittedly noob take on it. The Radian is big, slow, stable and 3 channel....all very good things to a newbie. However, when flying it, it's like you are suggesting the plane where to fly. Sometimes it goes the way you want it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it flys just fine on newbie friendly low rates, other times you need high rates to muscle it around.

This unpredictability makes it a bit more of a handful than I want her to deal with. The Champ just goes where you point it every time, no surprises, no drama, no fuss (as long as it's calm out, the kicker for a micro)

Now I will freely admit that my Radian might fly like that because I suck or don't know how to set it up. And I certainly bow to those with more knowledge in this area....Is my observation about the Radian totally off base? And I wish I was a better qualified instructor for her....but it's what we got to work with.

Quote:
One thing to remember is the bigger the plane GENERALLY the better it will fly.

IIRC the champ is a 3 channel plane. Nothing wrong with that, and it would likely be a good plane to start her out on. I would generally like to see someone have a good mastery of a full 4ch plane before trying to start someone else out.

Also don't limit yourself to just flyzone, check out some other planes as well. Personally I think that Park Zone make some darn good planes....not starter planes, but just planes. You also should take a look at one of the EasyStar clones that are out there....about the same price as the champ...and a plane that can be used for other things. Easy* make great trainers, as well as a basic glider, and camera platform. Radion's are also fun, but a little faster but still 3 channel...both of these are a little like the foam planes we had as a kid that you would toss and they would glide a long way.

It is great when your girl wants to share your hobby with you.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #2050
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 590
I was flying a new field at lunch today and decided to do some hover practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hb2OQJvFtY&hd=1
Old 08-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #2051
S3bird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Once the stock tires wear out try an aftermarket set from Pro Line that suits your main driving surface. You'll be amazed at how much more traction you have.

And is that brushed or brushless?
It's the VXL brushless version...the last time I was running it sounds like I'll be replacing the steering servo again.

BTW I just terrorize the neighborhood with it. My driveway is gravel which is good for shooting rocks and kicking up a bunch of dust
S3bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #2052
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Well in that case the Hitec HS- 85MG is almost a direct drop in and metal geared for much better life.

In other RC news it was a happy RC day for me. Picked up a UM T-28 for my first aileron bird and a Heli Max 1SQ Vcam came in the mail as well!

Of course the winds are blowing at 16mph right now....Gurrrrrrr
Old 08-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #2053
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,433
Ordered a Novus FP200 yesterday!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #2054
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Nice! Let us know how she flies
Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #2055
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,633
Quote:
Cooling fins on the motor will not help you...if the ESC is getting hot has nothing to do with the temp of the motor. I would first try to get the speedo some air....any air. There is a reason that you see many new speed controllers come with a little fan, not unlike a CPU fan...they do get quite warm.

You are going to have to change the gearing with the setup you have....IIRC Tamiya used metric gears but that should not be a real problem for you living in the land of Oz. Go down a few teeth is going to be the most inexpensive thing for you to do.
I got to tinker on the weekend end and run it last night.
I moved the ESC to out side the car (see photo) and run it up and down the street. As the ESC was outside I could see what the lights on it were doing. I still need to look at the instructions for that though.

The battery was fully charged and I got 7 mins of good running time and then it started to slow down. by 9min 30 seconds it was pretty much done. bit disappointed with that but now I know what I am working with. I shall be getting a smaller pinion some time soon.

The ESC didn't get hot nor did the motor. The battery got warmer then both of them. Whilst it is not aestheticaly pleasing, i think the ESC will stay there for a while... I have a cunning plan.

He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: