User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #2056
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Well if the esc and motor are not getting hot that means you are not overgeared. You could leave the pinion alone if you wanted however gearing lower will get you a slight increase in run time. And by that I'm guessing a minute maybe 2 but nothing more than that.

Keep in mind that you have a pretty small MaH battery and it's only going to give you so much run time. Get something in the 3000 Mah range for NiMh or above and you'll really start to see your run time go up

Also did you check for any binding in the drivetrain?
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #2057
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,605
The thing you have to remember about those Tamiya cars are they are really models that are RC as well. Does not matter if you are talking about the original SRB cars or this....there is just no air moving around the ESC, and that alone could make it hot.

I do not remember if your buggy had an internal shell, but if it does you might think about removing that and see how it does.

I would also suggest a different battery connector, even the gold Tamiya plugs are not that great, look for some deans, or deans knock offs. Even the Chinese XT series of connectors are better over the original Tamiya connectors.

And I don't know if you are running lipo or a different battery but please for the sake of your house don't run a lipo down till the car starts to slow down....very bad on batteries, Google lipo fire and see....most of the videos you see are the result of an over charge but there are monster amounts of power in those little batteries....all mine are charged in a 20mm ammo box.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #2058
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,135
In the time I've been using Lipos (since they're major introduction to the hobby), I've never had a fire. Not even close, you just gotta know how to handle them. Most never do have a fire.

And if you did, your only hope is sand, because you need a Class D fire extinguisher ($$) to put it out, the standard ABC you can pickup at an outdoorsman store won't cut it. The Lithium makes its own oxygen supply when it burns.

Also, over-discharging won't cause a fire, infact that's how you kill the battery and make it completely inert in the event the battery gets damaged. Do NOT put the battery in salt water to discharge it. The salt water solution eats the small tabs off of the cell before the cells discharge fully. Once the tabs are gone, the battery will no longer discharge, leaving you a piece of hazardous waste. Best way to kill a lipo is with a discharger of some sort that can bring the pack to 0.00v.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #2059
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
In the time I've been using Lipos (since they're major introduction to the hobby), I've never had a fire. Not even close, you just gotta know how to handle them. Most never do have a fire.

And if you did, your only hope is sand, because you need a Class D fire extinguisher ($$) to put it out, the standard ABC you can pickup at an outdoorsman store won't cut it. The Lithium makes its own oxygen supply when it burns.

Also, over-discharging won't cause a fire, infact that's how you kill the battery and make it completely inert in the event the battery gets damaged. Do NOT put the battery in salt water to discharge it. The salt water solution eats the small tabs off of the cell before the cells discharge fully. Once the tabs are gone, the battery will no longer discharge, leaving you a piece of hazardous waste. Best way to kill a lipo is with a discharger of some sort that can bring the pack to 0.00v.
The question is.....do you want to take the chance.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #2060
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
The thing you have to remember about those Tamiya cars are they are really models that are RC as well. Does not matter if you are talking about the original SRB cars or this....there is just no air moving around the ESC, and that alone could make it hot.

I do not remember if your buggy had an internal shell, but if it does you might think about removing that and see how it does.

I would also suggest a different battery connector, even the gold Tamiya plugs are not that great, look for some deans, or deans knock offs. Even the Chinese XT series of connectors are better over the original Tamiya connectors.

And I don't know if you are running lipo or a different battery but please for the sake of your house don't run a lipo down till the car starts to slow down....very bad on batteries, Google lipo fire and see....most of the videos you see are the result of an over charge but there are monster amounts of power in those little batteries....all mine are charged in a 20mm ammo box.
There's no way to have the ESC mounted in the stock location and have it get air really. The Super Hotshot is based on the Hotshot which was designed in the late 70's early 80's. Back then they used to seal off everything. They even recommended putting a balloon over the motor to keep water out. The electronics are in a two piece shell. The rear suspension hangs off the bottom half while the front suspension hangs off the top. There is a hatch to access the ESC but it's small. IIRC, it also had one of the mounts for the body attacked to it. You can see the chassis clearly in this pic. Also notice next to the spoiler supports are two round heatsinks for the analog ESC. They used to get really hot after a few runs.

The only way to get air to the ESC is to either chop up the body or make a new frame. That's one of the reason's I got the Sassy Chassis. If you have metal brake or even if you don't you could still probably make a new chassis.

As for LiPo's, I use them and have no issues at all. I ended up getting an expensive CellPro Multi4 charger since I wasn't sure about all those cheap knockoff chargers most places sell. Works great. I highly recommend any getting into lipo's not to skimp on the charger. It can charge all types of batteries so that's a bit plus. Not to mention being able to connect a PC to the charger to monitor things as well as flash the unit. You can buy a battery alarm for $4 that will sound when the battery is close to it's low limit. They are highly recommended for LiPo's.

This guy is selling what looks like a Hotshot II with the Sassy Chassis optional dual front shocks. This was before the Supershot came out. There are a lot of nice clear pictures of the chassis to give you an idea of how to make one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TAMI.../360701249023?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #2061
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

That is what I was thinking, I have a sand scorcher and rough rider and they are all very closed up.....not the originals but the Re-Re's. Sand scorcher is half built and the rough rider (or whatever they called it) is still in the box.

I just can't decide on how to paint the body.

If you are into this older Tamiya stuff you should check out Tamiya's site, I bought the rough rider silver ed. for under $200 direct from Tamiya....while the LHS wanted over $400 for the same car....but then it is a horizon shop like most LHS are anymore so don't expect a deal there.

I really need to get back to work on that thing....I really want to do something like this for some reason

Old 08-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #2062
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Well I'm sure that was painful.

And this looked very expensive

09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L

gots_a_sol screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 11:38 AM
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #2063
Zoul
No Comment

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
And this looked very expensive

Kind of reminds me of this:

Zoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #2064
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,455
If you look at other vids from sccmas, it is not surprising they have collisions like this. I may be wrong, but from what I have seen, they have very little field control.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #2065
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
The question is.....do you want to take the chance.
What "chance" do you speak of??

I have dozens of Lipo packs sitting in my basement right now.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #2066
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,202
So... been working on this for just over a year now. It's technically a rebuild, but not really, as I used a single square frame from the original plane and built the rest new. I'm trying to have it ready for our Mid Atlantic Dawn Patrol comning up in October... but school starts tomorrow and that's gonna put a major crimp in my work schedule... Anyway, pics show the fuse sitting on its gear for the first time, the wing on the fuse prior to building the wing struts, the wing on its struts, the sheeted wings and the completed landing gear assembly... The last two are the first one on the day of it's maiden, and then about 15 seconds after the maiden takeoff. You can see the frame I reused lying undamaged in the middle of the wreckage.

BTW, it's a Fokker D8, 1/3 scale, built from Ron Weiss plans and a kit cut by Camden Kit Cutters. Been fun but I had to clear out the garage in order to have room to lay it out on the table...

Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #2067
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Another happy RC day. The friend on RC Groups that was going to send me a Tactic TTX404 for buddy boxing surprised the hell out of me and sent me a brand new TTX650!

Between my friends that I've met through motorcycles and now the new ones I've met because of RC, I feel damn lucky

Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #2068
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
What "chance" do you speak of??

I have dozens of Lipo packs sitting in my basement right now.
I have packs sitting in the basement as well....but none are charging.

The chance is letting a pack get low and then recharging it....the chance is charging in anything that might let the magic smoke out. The chance is trusting your chargers.

Personally I have had no problems at all....and I started with lipos before they got popular...taking apart scanners to get the batteries out then building 2 cell packs and flying my GWS tiger moth on them....but I do respect what they can do. I have on the other hand blown up 1400 packs in days gone by....as in kaboom....remember everything ran on sanyo batteries....then Panasonic brought some in....1700 I think. that was about the time I quit racing....battery wars.

FPGT72 screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 05:49 AM
Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #2069
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

I keep mine at a storage charge of 3.85V/cell. My chargers have never failed me yet...

Old 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #2070
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by a65l View Post
... about 15 seconds after the maiden takeoff. You can see the frame I reused lying undamaged in the middle of the wreckage.

15 seconds??? WTF happened? Hoping you have better luck the second time.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: