Old 10-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #2146
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
I bet it flies better without the 3 pounds of tape on it

Looks like fun!
More weight invested in LED's than tape...

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #2147
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
More weight invested in LED's than tape...
True, but the LEDs help more than tape/vinyl does!
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #2148
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Pilot View Post
Both are very good planes (I have both), but definitely get some time in on the Apprentice first. The Beaver is not a hard plane to fly but being pretty scale it does take a little more attention and likes coordinated turns.
I soloed the Apprentice at my local flying field Saturday, two batteries and two 15 minute flights, both with good take offs and landings, repeated on Sunday. The plain Apprentice I ordered showed up at my door masquerading as a mini super cub. I got a refund and then the SAFE version showed up at Horizon Hobby so I ordered it. Just love the way it flys. I started out on intermediate mode and it's a snap. Four flights so far, all very relaxed and anxiety free. I'm charging my batteries with a Duratrax Onyx 235 charger. I'm flying 15 minute runs and my batteries are taking less than 1500 mah to top off. Is that in the ball park?
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #2149
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,073
It really depends on your amp draw. It sounds to me like your amp draw is fairly low. Just ensure your ESC's low voltage cutoff is set correctly for your cell count, and you'll be fine.

Congratulations on your successfull flights!

Now don't get cocky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I soloed the Apprentice at my local flying field Saturday, two batteries and two 15 minute flights, both with good take offs and landings, repeated on Sunday. The plain Apprentice I ordered showed up at my door masquerading as a mini super cub. I got a refund and then the SAFE version showed up at Horizon Hobby so I ordered it. Just love the way it flys. I started out on intermediate mode and it's a snap. Four flights so far, all very relaxed and anxiety free. I'm charging my batteries with a Duratrax Onyx 235 charger. I'm flying 15 minute runs and my batteries are taking less than 1500 mah to top off. Is that in the ball park?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #2150
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post

What size batteries are they?

Congrats on the flights! It's addictive. Fly in the wind as much as possible....makes you a better pilot in short order and makes you awesome in the calm. Fall/winter flying are some of my faves as the cold dense air makes the planes fly better and keeps motors cool.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #2151
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 565
Got a spektrum RX in the nightwing and got it set up on my DX8. Ready to fly!!

Come on.. Gotta admit it looks sick all lit up despite the crazy stickers! hahaaa

The wing is sick in the dark. Fuckin bright. Now I know why he put the crazy design on the top - you can really tell which side you're looking at. It doesn't look like it in the pics, but the front half of the wing is lit white, the rear half is lit blue.

Sick. I am so tempted to go maiden it right now. haha
Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #2152
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,515
Ok, yeah, it looks pretty sweet like that! Go maiden it! You know you want to.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #2153
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Be prepared for some UFO reportings when you fly that thing in the night
- FB: www.facebook.com/peter.perdaen
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/1150GSPEP/videos
GSPeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:36 AM   #2154
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
What size batteries are they?

Congrats on the flights! It's addictive. Fly in the wind as much as possible....makes you a better pilot in short order and makes you awesome in the calm. Fall/winter flying are some of my faves as the cold dense air makes the planes fly better and keeps motors cool.
Batteries are 3s 3200 mAh 20c LiPo and I'm charging them at a 3.2 amp rate on the Onyx. I could not find a recommended charge rate for them but they are 1c batteries so 3.2 should be about right.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 AM   #2155
andoulli
CAJUN

Safety with Electrics

No doubt this has been discussed before here but a recent incident at my flying field, a lapse of focus of sorts, makes me want to remind everyone about prop safety. Remember propeller BLADES are called that for a reason. An experienced pilot powers up his electric plane and picks it up along with the Tx at the bench to carry it out to the field. The Tx slips a little in his hand and his thumb slides the left stick to full throttle. The plane rotates in his right hand and the prop catches him in the right forearm, 14 stitches. My Apprentice has an ESC switch that I power up with the plane on level ground at the field, which helps prevent such accidents. My Beaver does not so I made this simple addition to my Tx to add an extra safety margin. Yes, I'm open to a better way to do this, but this should work for now.

andoulli screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 05:43 AM
Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 AM   #2156
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Good point^^ I have gotten in to the habit of setting my TX down on the ground while I'm plugging in batteries or moving the airplanes to the flight line. I don't want anything to touch that throttle by accident! A 13" prop being spun by 16v wouldn't feel good.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:00 AM   #2157
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,250
If you fly sooner or later you will get bitten by a prop.

For your batteries you really need something like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Checker.html

Some bit of kit like this is the only real way to know just what your batteries have left in them....I use it after every...every flight. Just last night I flew my Starmax Cub, came down after 7 minutes and still had 3.9v in the gas tank....I am adjusting my flight times.

Something like this is really a great tool.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #2158
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Damn that shit is fancy!! What's that go for? I have a couple of these cheapies, use them every time!!

I resisted the urge to maiden the wing at noght!! Bit i have it here with me and aupposed to be 5mph wind this afternoon so I shall maiden it today.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #2159
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

For your batteries you really need something like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Checker.html

Some bit of kit like this is the only real way to know just what your batteries have left in them....I use it after every...every flight. Just last night I flew my Starmax Cub, came down after 7 minutes and still had 3.9v in the gas tank....I am adjusting my flight times.

Something like this is really a great tool.
Yours looks cooler than mine, but the one I have tells me what I need to know, volts left in each cell, and combined volts left for all cells, and it has enough pins for an 8 cell battery. My Duratrax Onyx tells me charge capacity needed to charge battery, and that combined with my flight time for that battery allows me to calculate total battery flight time. About 22 minutes for my Apprentice by my calculations.

This one I carry on board and it beeps loudly when battery drops below 75%. It can be heard from a distance.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #2160
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

I have no idea what you're talking about.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: