Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #2386
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 562
i'm going dome flying tonight!

Big sports dome about 35 mins away. I'll be bringing my 4Site, AS3Xtra, Gaui X2, UMX Sbach, and maybe my vtail quad if I can get it fixed today.

Should be a good time!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #2387
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Stumbled across this while looking for Top Gear vids. James May and crew build a glider to fly 22 miles "freeflight." They do cheat and put an autopilot on it with RC backup but in all it was a good watch.
Wow, I just watched it, that was GREAT to watch!!!!

Reminded me of "TAM-5".

Years ago (2003) an old man named Maynard Hill had a goal of flying a powered RC plane across the Atlantic Ocean and after several attempts he did just that. The flight was documented and updated live on a web site and I followed along on the web site all day as the little plane flew across the Atlantic from Newfoundland to Ireland.

TAM-5 PHOTO ALBUM
BillsR100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #2388
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryadam View Post
What are you thinking for radios? You have anything usable? I go back to the mid-70s for my original flying. Got a nice Futaba system about 5 years ago and just now getting some air time. Really enjoying re-educating my thumbs with an EZ Glider electric. Having a blast with a little DUET trainer - builds confidence very fast. Old skills still there, just slower. Maybe bring out the old nitro stuff later after some progress on motorcycle projects.
Good luck.

Barry
I have radios that go back to the 70's, although I started in the mid-80's.
Remember the "Tower Hobbies Gold 500"? I've got one, somewhere - although "usable" isn't probable.

In that same area I have some AM Airtronics 4 channels (I actually liked Airtronics more than Futaba), Airtronics "Vanguard" 6 channel FM (maybe usable), a Futaba Conquest FM 4 channel (1991 narrow band!) and the best is a Futaba FP-T7UAF PCM FM radio that I barely used before I quit in 1994. It was more complicated than I liked, I sort of preferred the simple "no frills" radios.
Of course all the TX and RX batteries are deader than Dixieland, and I did buy a dry cell conversion that would work with the Airtronics (which I can't find).

If I can work with RC again, I might get something like the Tactic TTX-650.

I hope your "re-education" goes well!

HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #2389
JanB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Made another little video of thy Fury Flyer 54". Not much action... just bumbling around a little...

54" Depron Fury Flyer - second flights from demjansein on Vimeo.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #2390
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,359
http://tam.plannet21.com/
Old 01-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #2391
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
Actually had a short bit of good weather and got to fly my Christmas gift to myself....a PZ Archer.

Small little plane, but what a nice flying little plane....got it on sale for 120 bind and fly.

I would say this would be a good first 4ch plane for someone...flies on a 2s 1300 and that thing will just motor around all day on the stock battery.

I am currently at 13min on my timer and the silly thing still has battery left when it lands....I think I may cap it at 15min.

It will fly at 1/2 throttle nice and even a little tick below...that is where I fly mine most of the time.

Reminds me of the Raidon.....a it will just fly, you don't really have to think about it. Lands real nice and scale as well....and for as light as it is takes the wind pretty darn well.

If you know anyone wanting to step up to a 4ch, I would put this plane on their radar...nice fun that will do anything you ask it to....and on sale it is not bad for a HH plane.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #2392
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Actually had a short bit of good weather and got to fly my Christmas gift to myself....a PZ Archer.

Small little plane, but what a nice flying little plane....got it on sale for 120 bind and fly.

I would say this would be a good first 4ch plane for someone...flies on a 2s 1300 and that thing will just motor around all day on the stock battery.

I am currently at 13min on my timer and the silly thing still has battery left when it lands....I think I may cap it at 15min.

It will fly at 1/2 throttle nice and even a little tick below...that is where I fly mine most of the time.

Reminds me of the Raidon.....a it will just fly, you don't really have to think about it. Lands real nice and scale as well....and for as light as it is takes the wind pretty darn well.

If you know anyone wanting to step up to a 4ch, I would put this plane on their radar...nice fun that will do anything you ask it to....and on sale it is not bad for a HH plane.

This sounds like something I need to look into. I always prefer scale models when it comes to planes. I've been out of flying for almost two years. I have a 1800mm balsa cub that I'm afraid to fly since I've been out of it for awhile and have been looking for something to refresh my skills on.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #2393
NCGS
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Stumbled across this while looking for Top Gear vids. James May and crew build a glider to fly 22 miles "freeflight." They do cheat and put an autopilot on it with RC backup but in all it was a good watch.

Best hour I've spent on the internet in a long time. Great post.. thanks.

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.
NCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:25 AM   #2394
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
This sounds like something I need to look into. I always prefer scale models when it comes to planes. I've been out of flying for almost two years. I have a 1800mm balsa cub that I'm afraid to fly since I've been out of it for awhile and have been looking for something to refresh my skills on.
Same here I just have zero interest in a plane that does not look like a plane, or that will fly like a plane. I don't care for 3D or any of that other noise...if I want to hover I have a heli for that.

I think this would be a good choice to knock the rust off.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #2395
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 562
Totally rebuilt my Gaui X2 last night. I picked it up lightly used and have had bad luck the first few fights.

I downloaded the schematics off the website and I went over the whole machine. I found some things the PO did wrong. It was missing half the head dampers, the spindle bushings were installed incorrectly, was missing loctite where it needed it, and other little things.

Finished up last night at midnight:

Had to stop before work and put a battery through it. It was 40 degrees and no wind..

I spooled it up and it was smoother than it ever has been. It flew so damn good. Not even a hint of tail blow out and man it's FAST.

Sweet baby jesus, it flew! I guess a rebuild helps!

I can't wait for my lunch break, I got a handful of packs to put through it.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #2396
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
I'm waiting on some XT-60's and that's about it at the moment.

Of course it will snow/hail/sleet/rain freeze tighter than an incontinent penguins ass as soon as I get it all in.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #2397
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,359
I am in the process of selling some of my planes to help fund a Carbon Z Cub.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #2398
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,508
I REALLY want one of these:

Videos at the bottom of the link.
http://www.minihquad.com/frames/mini...hex-arf-bundle
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #2399
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Just flipping through the internet and saw that they have the archer back in stock....both in bind and fly (you need a spectrum radio only) and PnP (you have to have a rec and radio)

They also have their WWI Albatross biplane.....both are VERY nice planes, the albatross is a little bigger, and because its a biplane I would say a little more fragile.....but I would say both are very easy to fly....I do own both.

If I had to pick I would say I like the Albatross better, it is a little larger, a war bird, and to do a slow pass with the pilots little scarf fluttering in the wind is just so cool.

You will get much more flight time with the Archer however....and the batteries will be more inexpensive. 1300 2s vs a 2200 3s, but if you get into electric flight the 2200 is more popular.

You could not pick a better company to knock the rust off you flying skills then ParkZone....they make great stuff that will just flat fly....a little more expensive but you get more quality and customer support that will stand behind you like few others will.

I like the below photos as they really show the size of the plane, could not find the one with the guy holding the bi plane, but it is bigger.

FPGT72 screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 04:56 AM
Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #2400
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,066
A buddy of mine has the Albi. He hasn't been flying very long, and the plane does take a little abuse. Its held up very well, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it being fragile.. and anyway, repair parts are cheap and plentifull...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Just flipping through the internet and saw that they have the archer back in stock....both in bind and fly (you need a spectrum radio only) and PnP (you have to have a rec and radio)

They also have their WWI Albatross biplane.....both are VERY nice planes, the albatross is a little bigger, and because its a biplane I would say a little more fragile.....but I would say both are very easy to fly....I do own both.

If I had to pick I would say I like the Albatross better, it is a little larger, a war bird, and to do a slow pass with the pilots little scarf fluttering in the wind is just so cool.

You will get much more flight time with the Archer however....and the batteries will be more inexpensive. 1300 2s vs a 2200 3s, but if you get into electric flight the 2200 is more popular.

You could not pick a better company to knock the rust off you flying skills then ParkZone....they make great stuff that will just flat fly....a little more expensive but you get more quality and customer support that will stand behind you like few others will.

I like the below photos as they really show the size of the plane, could not find the one with the guy holding the bi plane, but it is bigger.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: