User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #2491
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,488
For the SHIT HAPPENS files, the Mini Telemaster is no longer with us.

Still not quite sure what happened. Had everything rough trimmed (all surfaces faired) yet on the first flight she wanted to hard over to the right. Got her back on the ground safely. Make a few tweaks and on the second flight she went hard over to the left and I could not save that one.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #2492
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 474
Awww, sorry man. The only thing worse than a crash is a crash where you don't know what went wrong.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #2493
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saget View Post
Awww, sorry man. The only thing worse than a crash is a crash where you don't know what went wrong.
Thanks man. At least I did not have much $$ or time invested in it. I think a secondary factor was that it might have been a bit windy for an initial flight. But, shit happens and we press on and try not to crash the next one!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #2494
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

You can't finish the day with a crash so;

I corrected that problem this evening by lighting up my slow stick and doing some 0-dark-30 flying with no crashes. Neighbors probably thought it was a UFO! :eek:

Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #2495
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Vid?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #2496
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Sadly, no. I did not have someone to shoot the vid and it was my first time ever flying at night with only lights on the bird for reference so I really did not want vid proof of what might happen. In the end it was actually easier than I though, but I think I might add a couple reference point lights. Most likely something on each wing tip and one on the tip of the tail.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #2497
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,161
Ouch Sucks losing an airplane, especially on the maiden.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #2498
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,085
Ouch...unless the winds were severe I'd be looking at radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Pilot View Post
For the SHIT HAPPENS files, the Mini Telemaster is no longer with us.

Still not quite sure what happened. Had everything rough trimmed (all surfaces faired) yet on the first flight she wanted to hard over to the right. Got her back on the ground safely. Make a few tweaks and on the second flight she went hard over to the left and I could not save that one.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #2499
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
I'm not an R/C guy but a friend of mine has quite a few planes. He brought his Multiplex Funcub out to my place last week to try out the floats on a (frozen) pond. The floats work very well on the snow.

vspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #2500
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Ouch...unless the winds were severe I'd be looking at radio.
Pretty sure it was a control surface issue with the plane that I missed when I inspected it. It was a used bird I picked up for $25. The winds were a bit higher than I should have been doing a first flight in.

As to the radio, it is a DX6i that I use for all my planes and have had no issues with it before this crash or with flights I have made since with other birds.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #2501
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

The 48" Extra 330 is going back together

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
Old 02-19-2014, 05:11 AM   #2502
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Nothing makes me more pissed in losing a plane to an unknown failure. I really should find another hobby.

Lost my Me110 to a bad BEC....yup the thing that was to save me ended up costing me. One of the electric bits not soldered in....I was going to say well, but lets change that to AT ALL.

How the thing worked as long as it did is a real who the heck knows.

It was odd, did one flight...landed...a bit of a bouncer but nothing harsh, no nose over....as I am walking up to the plane I hear the esc's re arm....WTF? I check over the plane move wires everything seems a good...Plane stays hot.

I toss in another battery and right after takeoff....ke-runch. I was pissed....and just tearing into them on the rcgroups site.

HK did right by me however, sent me a new plane, Thanks stewart. Still building the new one and already cut the shrink wrap off the BEC....just not sure if I should fly with it again. It looks perfect.

All this toy airplane shit is REALLY CHEAP now a-days. Even the good stuff is cheap. I guess this falls into a category of shit happens as well, but at least I knew.

Losing a plane in a hear hold my beer and watch this moment will upset me but that is me, doing a nice circle and having it eat it is another.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #2503
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Wink

Feels good to get back in the air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdVXMpgomPg

This thing is stupidly overpowered and floats like a feather, no bad habits that I've discovered. I stopped flying it because I had a bad servo in the tail.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:01 AM   #2504
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,296
Glad to hear HK did right by you. Their customer service can be, well, spotty sometimes.

About that chinese stuff... on the bottom end, you take some chances. I've rolled the dice with a few chicom esc's and batteries, the batteries you just have to accept that they're gonna start to get puffy after a few flights. The electronics.. well, some work, some don't. I have a SU-26 that flew fine two or three times, then one of the fans just quit running. Dual fans, one ESC, the dead fan runs on the other leads. Go figure... but that's the chance you take, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Nothing makes me more pissed in losing a plane to an unknown failure. I really should find another hobby.

Lost my Me110 to a bad BEC....yup the thing that was to save me ended up costing me. One of the electric bits not soldered in....I was going to say well, but lets change that to AT ALL.

How the thing worked as long as it did is a real who the heck knows.

It was odd, did one flight...landed...a bit of a bouncer but nothing harsh, no nose over....as I am walking up to the plane I hear the esc's re arm....WTF? I check over the plane move wires everything seems a good...Plane stays hot.

I toss in another battery and right after takeoff....ke-runch. I was pissed....and just tearing into them on the rcgroups site.

HK did right by me however, sent me a new plane, Thanks stewart. Still building the new one and already cut the shrink wrap off the BEC....just not sure if I should fly with it again. It looks perfect.

All this toy airplane shit is REALLY CHEAP now a-days. Even the good stuff is cheap. I guess this falls into a category of shit happens as well, but at least I knew.

Losing a plane in a hear hold my beer and watch this moment will upset me but that is me, doing a nice circle and having it eat it is another.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #2505
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Pilot View Post
Pretty sure it was a control surface issue with the plane that I missed when I inspected it. It was a used bird I picked up for $25. The winds were a bit higher than I should have been doing a first flight in.

As to the radio, it is a DX6i that I use for all my planes and have had no issues with it before this crash or with flights I have made since with other birds.
Radio (system) to include the in-flight stuff.

I'm sure you'll figure it out and get her back in the air.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: