Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #316
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC
Sounds kind of like an RC version of a Harley person asking you "when are you going to get a real bike?".

You may consider a coax a toy, but I enjoy playing with it. Is that not the purpose?
Sure is...but....if you want to move on to a CP heli a coax is doing nothing to get you ready. I have seen in many times. People can fly the coax all day long and think they can just jump into a TRex or build a Trex clone on the cheap from HC or Xheli...they end up way over their heads in so many ways.

If you don't want to move up to a larger more complex heli then enjoy all you want....and most people that get started in this hobby always want something else.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #317
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Sounds kind of like an RC version of a Harley person asking you "when are you going to get a real bike?".

You may consider a coax a toy, but I enjoy playing with it. Is that not the purpose?
Maybe, but I know exactly what he means. I can hand my wife the transmitter for my MCX and she can keep it from crashing. Not something you'd do with that Honeybee or my Blade 400. It's a whole other level of maneuverability and capability. It's more like a Harley person asking you when you're going to get a real bike when you're riding a moped, IMO. Nothing wrong with mopeds or coaxials, I've owned both, but they're just very performance limited......and a good gateway drug.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #318
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76
I know. I just got an mSR and want to get a new one already.
Have you seen eFlite's newest offering? The Blade SR.
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #319
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber
Maybe, but I know exactly what he means. I can hand my wife the transmitter for my MCX and she can keep it from crashing. Not something you'd do with that Honeybee or my Blade 400. It's a whole other level of maneuverability and capability. It's more like a Harley person asking you when you're going to get a real bike when you're riding a moped, IMO. Nothing wrong with mopeds or coaxials, I've owned both, but they're just very performance limited......and a good gateway drug.
Bicycle to unicycle is another good way to look at it. Coax helis are so stable, that is a plus and a minus at the same time.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #320
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72
Sure is...but....if you want to move on to a CP heli a coax is doing nothing to get you ready. I have seen in many times. People can fly the coax all day long and think they can just jump into a TRex or build a Trex clone on the cheap from HC or Xheli...they end up way over their heads in so many ways.

If you don't want to move up to a larger more complex heli then enjoy all you want....and most people that get started in this hobby always want something else.
If and when I decide to go with a CP heli I will do what I believe is the only way to fly anything outside a park flier or something like the Balde CX. I will join the AMA and the local club and learn from an experienced pilot to include the use of a buddy box.

I see similar statements in the RC car world. It is almost always from "experienced" folks or the "self informed" person with 0 experience. I have watched people trash talk good beginer RC cars just because they believe a given type to be the one you should start with. For example, I watched a local shop owner (now out of buisness) telling a young mom that a VXl (brushless) Traxxas Rustler would be a perfect 1st car for her 6 year old son with 0 experience. DUMB!

I am sure the CP helis are much more responsive and ultimately more fun to fly, but if CP - being easier to fly - get more folks in to the hobby then I say encourage their use.

Airborne RC should always be approached in steps. Just fullsize piloting you start with something slow and stable and build from there. WOuld I like to be able to do helibatics someday? YEP!, but for now a coax heli is a blast. have fun and always land gear first!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #321
Dan R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Can someone recommend a small electric plane that meets the following criteria?

Small (ie 12-16" wingspan)
Electric
For outdoor use
Can take off/land in hand
Can do some loops/hoops or other tricks
Not too $$$

Thanks...

Dan R screwed with this post 03-03-2010 at 12:10 PM
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #322
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,462
vapor?

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #323
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie
vapor?

cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #324
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If and when I decide to go with a CP heli I will do what I believe is the only way to fly anything outside a park flier or something like the Balde CX. I will join the AMA and the local club and learn from an experienced pilot to include the use of a buddy box.
IMHO....and again this is just me...but the AMA needs to get its act together. A great many electric flyers (the largest growing segment) are put off by the good ole boy network of local flying clubs and the AMA. I personally was told to get a "real" plane and know of several with foamy parkzone and other planes get the cold shoulder at flying fields, not just here in Kansas City but by reading rcgroups it is pretty common....not all clubs are like this but many are. And I don't want to turn this into a slimmer vs elect argument.

I am lucky enough to have enough land to fly everything from the little planes I talked about above to my largest a 5S VQ P-39, this is a 7lb 60" wing span bird a convertion from gas power...not a park flyer.

I am also self tought, started with a GWS Tiger Moth, then an Easy* then parkzone F4U, and ME109 on and on. Was the TM held together by epoxy...yep...but from there I have been free of crashes....execpt when I do something stupid like forget to change models on the trans.

I guess the point I am trying to make is this hobby is large enough for anyone, and has planes and hellies of all sizes and types for anyones intrest. Have fun and get yourself a good Sim, start with the right plane or heli and you don't need anyone. That will go a long way to helping you with getting the plane pointed in the direction you want it to go.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #325
Dan R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Cool video...

I have a big back yard (the cleared area is ~1.5ac), so something fast would be a plus. I don't need the ability to fly indoors.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Dan
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #326
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDave
Have you seen eFlite's newest offering? The Blade SR.
Great. Piss me off. I read on the net that that was going to come out alot later then it actually did. Or I would have waited. I was looking for a tailrotor motor Monday and there sits the SR. Only $40 more than a MSR. Now granted most don't think that starting with a CP heli is good. But if you read RADD's method of learning it can be done. That's what you did back in the day before electric helis and simulators. I do believe the MSR will have saved me some cash by the time I move up. Alot of th eguys that fly in the club I saw last week said the Blade SR's and 400's have alot of slop in the head that makes them harder to fly. The concinsus there was to get a Trex clone and learn with that after I'm totally board with the MSR. But all these guys have an MSR sitting next to thier 450's.

merickk, the biggest they allow in the gym is 450 so I will stick to those for now.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #327
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRAsH

I could not watch that helicopter video the other day (the one spinning and shit) for more than about a minute, they just don't do anything for me

But I never get tired of watching your Vapor vids
Old 03-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #328
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan R
Cool video...

I have a big back yard (the cleared area is ~1.5ac), so something fast would be a plus. I don't need the ability to fly indoors.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Dan
If you have that much space you might look into an easy* or clone, I think the clones are going for around $120 RTF now. They also do very well at many things, they make a pretty good powered glider and a great camera platform. I have a nice video that I shot the other day, as soon as I get it converted to .FLV I will post it up for all to see.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #329
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72
Sure is...but....if you want to move on to a CP heli a coax is doing nothing to get you ready.
A coax will teach you controls vs position .. ie nose in vs nose out. VERY important to learn as the controls are backwards when nose in. A coax makes great basic training skills to go up a level to a FP or CP heli.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #330
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan R
Can someone recommend a small electric plane that meets the following criteria?

Small (ie 12-16" wingspan)
Electric
For outdoor use
Can take off/land in hand
Can do some loops/hoops or other tricks
Not too $$$

Thanks...
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ3580

fun plane to fly. can get either BnF or one with a tx included.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: