Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #586
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMike View Post
Pro-Line has some great accessories. Upgraded my shocks, wheels/tires and just got the Flo-Tek Body!
Loads of fun, Traxxas 2wd Slash.

Nice looking truck.....I am torn between the SC trucks (there is no local race track , would just be a basher ) and building a rock crawler kit , why not both ?!
I am drawn to the Traxxas Slayer 4x4 nitro , the truck is just badass .....
Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #587
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,135
If you have never done nitro before you might want to check it out quite a bit first...they are not for everyone and truth be known I have not touched my nitro cars in years. You might want to check out one of the HPI Baja clones, there are some pretty good cars out there for the same price you can get a nitro car for. If you can run a weed wacker you have all the skill to make one of those engines run. You need space but they are SO much fun.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 AM   #588
banshee8989
AKA: Fartman

Oddometer: 803
Cars myself:

Got my son into it as well:

I also picked up a micro RC helicopter after watching my freind fly one around his house. If your an old schooler RCer like myself and you see one fly, you WILL want one. Its amazing how far they have come from the ones in the 80s. The electric micros are just like flying the big boys from the 80s and 90s. I fly mine around my basement all the time. If you like RC... trust me.... you need one.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #589
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
If you have never done nitro before you might want to check it out quite a bit first...they are not for everyone and truth be known I have not touched my nitro cars in years. You might want to check out one of the HPI Baja clones, there are some pretty good cars out there for the same price you can get a nitro car for. If you can run a weed wacker you have all the skill to make one of those engines run. You need space but they are SO much fun.
I have actuallt been running r/c cars for about 30 years , raced nitro 8th scale for about ten of those. I like both nitro and electric , nitro because of the noise I guess , electric is just more convienant I guess. I got out for a few years because all the crap that was going at the local tracks , which lead to them closing , funny how a little compition can become a pissing match between grown men and toy cars.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #590
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
I have actuallt been running r/c cars for about 30 years , raced nitro 8th scale for about ten of those. I like both nitro and electric , nitro because of the noise I guess , electric is just more convienant I guess. I got out for a few years because all the crap that was going at the local tracks , which lead to them closing , funny how a little compition can become a pissing match between grown men and toy cars.
I know just what you are talking about...and the reason I quit racing years ago. I tried to pick it up again but the fun factor was just not there.

Good news is that I live on 13a and the neighbor just bought a skid loader....I think I smell an off road track in my future
Old 08-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #591
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I know just what you are talking about...and the reason I quit racing years ago. I tried to pick it up again but the fun factor was just not there.

Good news is that I live on 13a and the neighbor just bought a skid loader....I think I smell an off road track in my future
I would love to have a track on my property , but the wife won't let me build one in the back yard !
Old 08-16-2011, 04:51 AM   #592
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

One thing I would do if I had a way-back machine would be to enjoy and race RC more back in the late 80's early 90's...it was so much fun.

I did take the RC10 to a practice night at the local dirt track....oh I guess two years ago now....everyone and I mean everyone was intrested. I had a problem with some brittle plastic parts (ball cups) but the car was darn fast with a lipo, brushed stock motor and geared to the moon....did not have to worry about dumping...and the motor was not that hot after the run...shocked the heck out of me. I think if the rust was knocked off me it would still be a top 5-10 car easy...and I was never that good. It seemed that the extra weight just made it soak up the bumps where the newer lighter cars would get skitty over them. It also seemed that the brushed motor made more torque then the brushless motors do....all I know it it almost got me going back.

They are up dating the local track here...perhaps I will stop back by this winter....it is an indoor off road and indoor on road, with an large outdoor on road track....it is a nice setup...just people too crazy with toy cars.

http://www.heartlandrc.com/attachmen...9&d=1313341493

http://www.heartlandrc.com/attachmen...5&d=1313341414

Yes we have wheel chair access to the drivers stand...it is a very nice place to race...it is just some of the people get too wrapped up in it...heck when I was racing REAL cars people where not that rabid about everything.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #593
Rafiki
Some Dude

Oddometer: 1,740
well,I think the time has come to sell the boat and truck.

anyone interested in a 36 inch tunnel hull boat with a 13cc outboard? it needs some work,would be a decent project.

or interested in a heavily modified savage with radio?(just needs a body and good rollcage)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=70
^^^ pic of savage.

offering good deals on both.

"Monkey killing Monkey over pieces of ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs.
They make a club, And beat their brother down."

Rafiki screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 07:59 AM
Rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #594
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 663
This is my HPI Baja 5T. 1/5th scale. . I painted and did the graphics myself. 29.5cc 2 stroke motor, tuned pipe, and all kinds of other stuff that has drained my wallet. Weighs in at aprox 35# and hauls ass.! Takes jumps and offroads like a true baja style trophy truck.
Also in my arsenal is an HPI Blitz, Losi XXX-SCB, and a Traxxas Slash.. All brushless motors. This hobby is a blast.!
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #595
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

I have a clone 5B and the thing has been a rock. So much fun.

This is the only pic I have of it a few years ago when I pulled it from the box. Best $300 I ever spent...and I have yet to find a HPI part that will not fit.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #596
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,498
I just picked up a Parkzone Ultra Micro T-28 Trojan. Full 4-channel and it's only 1.5 ounces.

Very fun.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #597
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,126
Cool2 Great Pics!

I got into the hobby after following my younger brother around the tracks here in NC. When Short Course Trucks came out I knew that was for me. Now I'm racing a 2wd Traxxas Slash, my brother's borrowed Speedway Oval Truck and a 4wd 1/18th Dirt Late Model on short clay ovals. Going racing this Saturday in King, NC with the DLM.
Wife wants to move to Port Angeles, WA... guess I'm opening an R/C track when we get there next year.
Thanks for the pics everyone, keep 'em coming!

SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #598
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
On my birthday this month I'm going to buy myself an RC truck. I've been spending a lot of time up at my buddies hobby shop and they caught my eye. I'm specifically looking at buying a Traxxas Stampede VXL 4x4. Any one have one that would comment. I'm newb to this, but I have a pretty big backyard now and I can see having RC fun back there. I have hills and woods. Eitherway, here's some picture from google.

It looks like there's an excellent aftermarket for this truck. All the reviews i've been looking at online have good things to say about it. It sounds like you can get serious speed out of it by changing the gearing and plopping a new battery in it. Anything I should be wary of?

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #599
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Mitchell,
The stampede is probably the single most popular r/c truck out there. They have been around for years , have a huge following , huge aftermarket support , and are great fun.
The 4x4 is new , I believe it is built on the slash chassis.
Buy it, bash it , you will not regret it.
Look for R/C forums on the web, there some really good ones and you will find that the world of r/c is huge , and addicting.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #600
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,344
I have a 4x4 Pede ( far right in photo ) and find it to a be a fantastic all around truck. It is not perfect at any one thing, but great for general use. If I were to have only one RC truck the 4x4 Pede would be it. You get the durability of Traxxas, the fun of the 2wd Pede and ease of maintenance the Slash chassis offers (no tranny!). You also get the go anywhere abitily of the E-Maxx in a slightly smaller and less complex package.

The truck comes with a 7 cell Nimh battery and charger, but If I might make a suggestion. Pick up a decent Lipo balancing charger ( I use these - http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=ORI30126 - but you need a car battery or 12V power supply) and a few of these batteries - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14976

Some peple will tell you that you need a higher C rating battery, but I have found these work just fine and have plenty of power, Run time is great too. I feel that while a top line battery from say MaxAmps is a better battery, the average user will never see the difference and for the cost of a MaxAmps battery you can get 4 or 5 of these. This translates into more time running and less waiting for a battery to charge,

I, and others, feel the body sits to high. Here is a simple way to drop it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZehwvVe9gQ

RC Pilot screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 01:31 PM
RC Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: