Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #631
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Need some x-mas advice.

My son really wants some kind of killer rc truck or jeep.

The problem is the only place he will have to run it is in our field. Hobby store guy said that would quickly kill an electric and our best bet is Nitro.

The grass in our field is usually kind of tall but it isn't thick like a lawn.

Will a Nitro truck work well here?

Also is used okay?
From what I've seen recently, I would avoid Nitro if you don't have much experience with RC. My buddy own a hobby store and works on lots of them. He says they need constant tuning to an extent. The electric motors run strong and fast and just require regularly cleaning. The electric motor should pull just as hard as the nitro.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #632
difuser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Wannabee here's an SCX I built for last years series and Scale Nats.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-s...ll-truggy.html

B.E
Used electric is not bad depending on who used it. Most of the equip is pretty hard to kill unless they like to submerge it or packed up with snow.
Used Nitro run don't walk away from it. Nitro best of times is always a pain in the ass and it has come along way. I always raced and drove electric. I have owned 1 nitro in all my years of RC and it was a pain to keep it running. I've raced gas but always someone elses car and I didn't have to tune or maintain it.
difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #633
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,126
Cooper's R/C Raceway

Raced the famous Cooper's indoor dirt oval a couple weeks ago.
The 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion has multiple wins there, he even invested in the place and held numerous events.

My 1/16th Traxxas Dirt Late Model

Replacing the body for next year along with a few upgrades.
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #634
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,126
Great facility

Could use some updates, a few changes to bring it into the modern age....

but it has character, a real down home feel, still run by the original owners widow.

My bro' races a Custom Works Dominator.

SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #635
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Dont be afraid of nitro, I have 2 and an electric rock crawler and electric short course, nitros more fun. The sound of nitro really adds to the fun 2 stroke spinning at 40,000rpm. If you buy nitro make sure to buy a temp gauge, duratraxx makes a nice one. It really helps with tuning, temps are important. Iam a engine guy and take good care of my rcs my friends never tune or do maintence and surprisingly theirs run pretty good. Do not buy used I repeat do not buy used, rcs are run hard youll spend more in the long run. Take a look at the traxxas tmaxx 3.3 or hpi savage. Fuel costs alot but a quart goes along way. Also they run good on grass if its short, long theyll get really hot.
tommyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #636
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMike View Post

My bro' races a Custom Works Dominator.

Custom Works is still around? Awesome. I have a couple of the original chain drive chassis and 1.5" wheels, a big bag of parts and some old bodies still in the bag but it wasn't enough to put together a full car. I think the bulkheads were brittle and I am missing at least one.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #637
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,038
Cool2

Some guy named Tony Stewart owns custom Works now, you may have heard of him.
B.E.Coyote : my advice is go with electric also and make a track.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #638
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,402
difuser....that truck is pretty badass ! Mine is the kit from the box , nothing fancy. I have always been into the racing end , mostly 1/8th scale buggies and stadium trucks , some carpet . Never had the experience to build a truck like yours , although it would be fun as hell. This is my first rock crawler/scaler , having fun just slowly building it and adding accesories to make it look more realistic.
as far as a first RC truck , nitro is fun , but will not hold the attention of your son due to the higher maintinance involved in them. They can be a handful. Look at Traxxas , the Stampede is a great truck , and the Monster Jam ones have a setting on the ESC for beginners , because even they will do 30mph on a cheap battery . Get yourself some decent Lipo batteries , paly with the gearing as he gets better at controlling it , and you can make these into ballistic missles ! lol
Have fun with it , I bought a Losi Micro T when they first came out , slow , but had a friggin' blast running them around a small little track in the corner of my yard. It becomes addicting to , I am 41 years old and still wanna build and run RC cars , the wife thinks I am nuts !
I bought a Venom Beacon , did not hold up and was built very cheaply , actually a handful to fly for something that was supposed to be a beginner heli. Kinda turned em away for now , I am gonna get back to building a few kits , RTR has taken over the market.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #639
difuser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I was a racer once too... Lol got tired of the travel and had a business to run it left little time to stay National level ready.

The scale bug bit as a way to build and have fun which led to Regional and then Nationals see a trend here? If you have any questions on the Scx feel free to pm or ask. It's a great platform to build just about anything. I have a TJ jeep I am building after selling the truggy and something that will be Wraith based.
difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #640
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

never went to that level....
I am gonna get my feet wet with the SCX , I am gonna build a GMade R1 next , something fast and agile . I really wanna scratch build a UniMog Trails truck like you see in Europe. We will see how far I get back into it .
Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #641
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,324
First and most important question - What is your budget?

Can you post pics of the planned runnign area?

I would recommend electric over nitro because it is easier to deal with, cleaner and quieter.

I would recommend the Traxxas Stampede VXL in either 2wd or 4wd. If your budget can swing it the 4wd is a bit more versatile.

Lipo batteries are the way to go; this is what I run in my Traxxas trucks- http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000...-hardcase.html

There are a large number of options for chargers, but make sure you get a balance charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Need some x-mas advice.

My son really wants some kind of killer rc truck or jeep.

The problem is the only place he will have to run it is in our field. Hobby store guy said that would quickly kill an electric and our best bet is Nitro.

The grass in our field is usually kind of tall but it isn't thick like a lawn.

Will a Nitro truck work well here?

Also is used okay?

RC Pilot screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 07:34 AM
RC Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #642
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Having had both nitro and electric, I can tell you first hand that with decent batteries, the current crop of brushless motors will out pull a nitro motor. A nice benefit of the brushless motors is that there are no brushes to wear out and unless you submerge them frequently or run in areas with fine dust, they need almost no maintenance or cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57 View Post
From what I've seen recently, I would avoid Nitro if you don't have much experience with RC. My buddy own a hobby store and works on lots of them. He says they need constant tuning to an extent. The electric motors run strong and fast and just require regularly cleaning. The electric motor should pull just as hard as the nitro.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #643
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
and the Monster Jam ones have a setting on the ESC for beginners
All Traxxas ESC have a "training" mode that limits throttle to 50%.

The only problem with the Monster Jam trucks is that they all use the Titan 550 brushed motor. If you really must have a Monster Jam body, Buy a VXL Stampede and a Monster Jam body seperately.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #644
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

didn't realize that all models were equipt with that ESC. Brushed motors are outdated , but great for beginner vehicles , they last along time with a little oil , plus they are pretty hard to kill. Either way you are getting a great vehicle to have tons of fun with.
Did you guys see the Traxxas X that was announced today ? 4WD sedan......100 mph right out of the box . I will be buying one of these , as soon as I figure out where the hell I would run it !
Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #645
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
Brushed motors can still run with the brushless motors.....I had tons of stock brushed motors left and just geared it to the moon, stuck in a 5000 batt and no trouble keeping up with the new guys in an old buggy with old stuff.

I ran the old gold tub RC10, brushed with a vintage AM radio....it was so much fun and a top 5 car.

Just cause it is old does not mean it is worthless.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: