User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #646
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,417
the old stuff was always the most fun ! I used to buy older cars and trucks from Ebay , yard sales ( I once bought a Tamiya Blackfoot , the original one , still wrapped in plastic in the box ) I have found several deals that I turned around a profit on and funded my other projects.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #647
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
didn't realize that all models were equipt with that ESC. Brushed motors are outdated , but great for beginner vehicles , they last along time with a little oil , plus they are pretty hard to kill. Either way you are getting a great vehicle to have tons of fun with.
Did you guys see the Traxxas X that was announced today ? 4WD sedan......100 mph right out of the box . I will be buying one of these , as soon as I figure out where the hell I would run it !
The ESCs are different betweem teh brushed and brushless (BL) vehicles, but all have 3 modes. Training (50% throttle), Race (fwd/brake only) and normal (fwd/brake/reverse) BL motor are far more long lived than their brushed brethern.

100mph is neat, where can really run that speed safely. Not exactly something that you want to give little Johnny torun up and down the street. At those kinds of speeds, serious injury to bystanders is a real concern.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #648
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 682
Cant go wrong with a traxxas electric setup. Their Velineon esc and motors are waterproof. Very nice feature to have with kids. !!!!!! my 5yr old has not killed his brushless slash and has beat that thing to hell and back. Very impressed with the durability of the traxxas products. Everyone I run with has ditched the nitros. Too much tuning, mess, and the price of fuel.
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #649
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Brushed motors can still run with the brushless motors.....I had tons of stock brushed motors left and just geared it to the moon, stuck in a 5000 batt and no trouble keeping up with the new guys in an old buggy with old stuff.

I ran the old gold tub RC10, brushed with a vintage AM radio....it was so much fun and a top 5 car.

Just cause it is old does not mean it is worthless.
They can, but $ for $ they do not hold up as well. BL motors require very little maintenance (great for beginners) and geared properly are not to fast for new drivers. They are also more efficient so you get longer run times all other things being equal.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #650
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewop View Post
Cant go wrong with a traxxas electric setup. Their Velineon esc and motors are waterproof. Very nice feature to have with kids. !!!!!! my 5yr old has not killed his brushless slash and has beat that thing to hell and back. Very impressed with the durability of the traxxas products. Everyone I run with has ditched the nitros. Too much tuning, mess, and the price of fuel.
+1 my Stampedes (2wd and 4wd) can take a real beating and just keep on going.

The 2wd Stampede VXL is probably the best back yard basher on the market today.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #651
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

My SCX10 Honcho Kit :
Novak Rooster Crawler w/ Terra Crawler 55t motor , have'nt gotten a radio yet , probably a 4 channel unit from RC4WD , switched channels that can run lights and a winch if you like. I plan on doing some accesorizing to make it look like a trail ready truck....Like the dog ?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #652
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
They can, but $ for $ they do not hold up as well. BL motors require very little maintenance (great for beginners) and geared properly are not to fast for new drivers. They are also more efficient so you get longer run times all other things being equal.
Oh yes I do agree, I won't even get into low voltage cutoffs on old speed controls and such. But with so many good older cars out there for not a lot of money it is something to think about.

If you know he will take to it, or is going to be racing then get something new....known quanity there. If you are not so sure get a good HOBBY GRADE car/truck for him used and you may be money ahead.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #653
difuser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
My SCX10 Honcho Kit :
Novak Rooster Crawler w/ Terra Crawler 55t motor , have'nt gotten a radio yet , probably a 4 channel unit from RC4WD , switched channels that can run lights and a winch if you like. I plan on doing some accesorizing to make it look like a trail ready truck....Like the dog ?
The Rc4wd radio is ok Personally I'd tell you to spend a few more $$$ and go with the 4PL you should be able to find them for $189-$209. I've seen locals have issues with the RC4WD radio it's a great price for 4ch though.
If you are running just a winch then go with the DX3R but againa bout the same price. I use the 4PK myself. I have heard the Airtronics new 4ch is a good radio but I have not seen one in the wild yet.
difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #654
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,300
You guys are making me want to start racing again.....I may just go out and fly tonight.

Rc is an itch that will just not go away.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #655
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
+1 on traxxass new 100mph car, check their website got a video, thing is awesome, Id have no place no run it but sure is cool, wannabe like your honcho I got the dingo wasnt sure if I would like scale crawling, but is a lot of fun very relaxing. I agree traxxas make the best rtr for the money. great customer service and support. I blew a rod on a 3.3 nitro, manifold crack and it leaned out. they sent me a brand new engine no questions asked. If your budget allows you better pick one up for yourself as well, they are alot of fun.. I bought a rustler on a whim, the none brushlees one $200. I wasnt impressed with the speed until I put a lipo from my dingo in it. goes pretty good. I can see a brushless upgrade in its future.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #656
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

I always suggest the VXL trucks, if budget permits, because upgrading to the BL set up is not uncommon. A lot of people are concerned with the speeds a vehicle can reach. Honestly, doing speed runs gets old fast. I have mine geared to run speeds that suit the places I run and provide good run tims.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #657
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
First and most important question - What is your budget?

Can you post pics of the planned runnign area?

I would recommend electric over nitro because it is easier to deal with, cleaner and quieter.

I would recommend the Traxxas Stampede VXL in either 2wd or 4wd. If your budget can swing it the 4wd is a bit more versatile.

Lipo batteries are the way to go; this is what I run in my Traxxas trucks- http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000...-hardcase.html

There are a large number of options for chargers, but make sure you get a balance charger.
Main running area:

Don't really have a budget yet, the one we looked at was $200 but the Hobby guy said he wouldn't recommend it for grass.

I think it was this one?
http://hobbytown.com/Shop/1/16-Slash...-Radio-System/

The other issue with electric is our trailer is at the top of the mountain. Recharging would be a pita.Nitro would be a simple refueling. I also think we would both enjoy the sound. Nobody else around that would care.

I could cut the grass a bit shorter in a big oval or something and let him build some jumps or something bur for the most part it is what it is.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #658
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Most good chargers are AC/DC , you can charge them off your car/truck battery. The 1/16 slash is a cool truck , but think you would be happier with a 1/10th scale truck such as the Stampede (see a pattern here ? Everyone keeps going tback to the Stampede) I highly suggest you stay away from nitro , the learning curve is steep , and there are alot of things that can and will go wrong with them. Most Brushless Trucks such as the stampede are more powerful and faster than a nitro anyway , its all in the battery. My buddies brushless HPI SAVAGE will do a backflip from a dead stop and with the right battery , has the power to rip its own tires off the rims.
I still vote for the Stampede , they have brought plenty of smiles to people over the years , they are availible in 2WD or 4WD (get the 4WD) and the parts availibilty is off the charts , you will never worry about getting a part for it.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #659
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
I don't see how it would be too bad in that if you mowed a course, or track relatively short.

I gave up on the nitro's a loooong time ago.
Got tired of all the finiky tuning, and having to walk a mile when they decide to quit running...
I got this to satisfy my need for speed.

Greg Adler edition:
http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...vxl4x4-details
(They're all the same, just endorsed by different drivers/graphics packages.)
I run it in the grass, ditches, and asphault around my neighborhood, and it runs fine.
It wasn't really cheap, but it has everything in it you'd want, if you would want to upgrade it later, including a 2.4 Ghz radio set (meaning no one else around you would cross frequencies, if you had company to join you, or at a race), a brushless motor, and esc.
This will last you a long time, in regards to durability and longevity, compared to the non-hobby grade r/c cars, therefore money well spent, imo..
Start him with the NiMh pack, in that field, to get over the learning curve, then when y'all are comfortable, kick it up a notch by going to a 2 or 3 cell LiPo pack.
The run time for my amusement is fairly decent, in comparison to the nitro run times.

So far as canned vs. brushless, I have an old Traxxas 4-Tec, that has a modded can motor in it, that ran circles around some of the earlier brushless setups. It still runs well, but obviously can't hang with what's out there now.
But for it's time/technology, it's still a good car.

Man, that's a beautiful place to do any kind of r/cing... Can you say jealous???
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #660
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
I had a nitro stampede many years ago, and other than the finiky engine, it was a fun truck to drive.
Handled well, and tough.
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: