Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #751
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57 View Post
Geez, I'm just getting comfy with my 2 channel. I couldn't imagine a 9 channel.
Flaps, gear, lights.....it all adds up. I have one plane that is like that....truth be known I find it more FUN to just toss a foamy in the air and go.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #752
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Flaps, gear, lights.....it all adds up. I have one plane that is like that....truth be known I find it more FUN to just toss a foamy in the air and go.
That is why, no matter how fancy my planes get, I will always have a Slow Stick in the hanger for pure simple fun.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #753
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,617
I was bored this morning, and was poking around RCUniverse.com, when I came across this:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=809793
Great Planes/Harold Wagner Piper J-3 twin Cub (RTF)

I was like

So, I fired up my Google Fu, and ran across this:
http://johnlinde.ca/Early_Designs.html

A tad more at the bottom of the page, along with some other aviation oddities...
http://www.twinnavion.com/oddballs.htm

There's been some interesting stuff attempted in the evolution of avation, to say the least...
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #754
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
So i got my new 9 channel radio and hooked it up to the AT-6 and took it out for taxi tests. I mistakenly reversed the throttle setting instead of the elevator servo and when it took off, I panicked and ran it into the curb. One of the mains bent, but other than that the plane is fine. Ready for its maiden flight tomorrow.
What 9-channel radio did you get?

I have an old school, but recently updated (not up to dsmx) Spektrum DX7.
I was eyeballing the Aurora 9, as a possible upgrade/replacement, compared to the simularly priced dx8 or slightly higher JR 9503.

I_FLY_LOW screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 02:41 PM
Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #755
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,242
I'm gonna hazard a guess it's a Turnigy 9X.

Just remember you'll have to start over with receivers for the Aurora, not that it'll matter if you only have a few for the DX7. It'd be nice if there was a standard for cross compatibility on 2.4ghz so that issue would go away.

I'm actually looking at the DX8 and Aurora myself. I have an Eclipse 7 with the 72 mhz spectra module, a DX6i, and a 6EX FASST I just won in a raffle at the moment, and I want to sell the 6EX and the Eclipse so I can get of of 72 mhz and have a good 2.4 ghz radio for the few planes and helis I have that actually ned 7 channels. I played with the Aurora, the DX8, and a Futaba 8FG last week, and the Aurora was the most impressive and comfortable of the three, followed by the DX8, and sadly, the Futaba just didn't feel "right" to me at all. I'll probably wind up with the DX8 just because I already have a bunch of DSM2 receivers...

I remember seeing that twin cub on RCU a few years ago, very interesting indeed!
Buzzbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #756
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber View Post
I'm gonna hazard a guess it's a Turnigy 9X.
Very close, its the flysky, which is the same thing with a different name on it. I have been pretty happy with it. Once I get more into the hobby and out of school I will be able to dump some more money into the hobby, but for now its a really good setup.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #757
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

I read a bit about those.
On the fence...
I think I'm going to go for one of the name brands.
I'm in no hurry, and certainly don't NEED it, so I'll save up, and who knows maybe the price may go down a tad, in the meantime.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #758
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
On the fence...
I'm in no hurry, and certainly don't NEED it, so I'll save up, and who knows maybe the price may go down a tad, in the meantime.
It has its good and bad. Its better than the 4 channel that came with the cessna, but worse than others. When the Turnigys come back in stock at HK I might order one to see how the new firmware works. Tonight I was flying the T-6 with it. The first flight was perfect except for the canopy falling off the plane. Then the second flight I took off and the plane went nose up stalled, and spun into the ground ripping the landing gear out of it...again. I will work on rebuilding it again and hopefully have it flying in a couple days. Good thing about foam is that a little glue goes a long way when it comes to rebuilding planes. I am wondering if it was a bad takeoff, or the TX sending wrong signals. I will try flying the cessna on it, and see if I have any problems with it since I have proven that its a good platform. Of course it could also be interference with the telemetry system I have. I will have to re route the antennae differently to separate it a little more from the RX.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #759
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
On the fence...
When I needed to upgrade to another radio I looked high and low and ended up buying a used FM Futaba. Did not matter that it was FM to me...came with a hand full of Rec. and cost me like $150. Think I bought it off of a guy on rcgroups.

Don't overlook good ole FM, the freq. are always clear now that everyone HAS to have a 2.4 radio. The high end radios are usually very well taken care of as they are used on some pretty expensive planes.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #760
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

No doubt... I started with a good ole Futaba 6 channel FM...
Honestly, I had little issues with it, minus the occasional minor glitch here or there...
Never lost a plane because of it, though.
I'm just in the mood for something new...

I do stil have my 72 mhz 9303, just wanting something current.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #761
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Balloon tires came in today. Will post pics later. They are heavy, and CG moved forward a little, but I still think it will fly alright. Will post results later. I am currently trying to paint it. I had bought some airbrush paint for my airbrush that I really am not liking. I might just get good old Krylon and do it with that.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #762
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,242
You guys that actually can fly on 72mhz no worries are lucky. The club I fly with has two fields about 20 miles apart, both on properties bordered by railroad tracks, and one with an active quarry (used to be 2) within a 1/2 mile. Care to guess what frequency band is licensed to radio operated RR crossing gates and industrial cranes, among other things? Theoretically, they shouldn't step on the R/C channels, but there is enough bleed over that when a train goes by or the quarry is active, some channels are pretty much unusable. It's been documented with a high end scanner more than once, unfortunately it's not a fluke. Maybe that's why the club got such a good deal on the land leases?

BTW, I have an old Conquest on 75mhz from one of my old cars, looks just like the one pictured above.
Buzzbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #763
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Got a little burned out on flying after I nosed my electrifly Spad XIII into a tree....not much damage, but I am just not in the mood to fix it...just bummed me out a little. I have lost most of my electrifly WW I planes to trees. I fly at home on 13ac, but there are trees everywhere....and I have a problem telling where I am in relation to the trees with these small planes.

Just this week I took out my old parkzone corsair....I got it when they first came out...that tells you how old it is, and flew for the first time in about a year. After doing a pretty messy loop, elevator went very soft and I could hear a fluttering sound. On a slow pass I could see half of the elevator flapping...it broke. I made a no other damage landing and it just had a clean break right in the middle. I guess the foam got hard or something.

I then flew the parkzone F4F and had a nice little flight...came in and ordered replacement parts for the planes and went wow...they have a Hurricane, spitfire, and SE5a...when did that happen.....that SE5 may have to come home.

I think I may be finished with wood planes....they fly so nice but I like to be able to put the thing back together in 15min with a little epoxy. I will just leave the bonanza and P39 hanging from the rafters in the bacement.

Anyone else getting too lazy to mess with wood planes anymore....guess I just want to fly and not build anymore.

Years ago I had a fleet of GWS planes...going to have to see if they are still around, I liked my Zero quite a bit.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #764
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

I prefer the wooden ones over foam, any day...
I like what e-flight's putting out...
So much so, I just had to get one of these...
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #765
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

I do as well, the little Neiuport 11 was such a sweet flying plane....I may just have to get another.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: