Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #826
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
I have been eyeballing that sky raider for the longest time! I was pretty happy with my airfield skytrainer up until Saturdays incident that ended it. At first I really didn't like the 800mm series due to the lack of retracts, then I figured they did look pretty cool.

Has anybody seen the Durafly series from hobbyking? They have some really good scale 6 channel warbirds that are 1100mm size. They just released a vampire EDF jet with retracts. They are all around $130 or so. Pretty cool planes. I think I want me one soon!
I saw that vampire just last night....been a long time so I am going to have to do some reading before I go with a HK plane. I have bought servos and batts from them in the past (about 2yrs ago) and never a problem. They have a darn nice looking corsair as well. SE5a is pretty nice too.....at least they look nice in the photos.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #827
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post
I have no clue to be honest. I know nothing about electric rc stuff, or really rc stuff in general. All I've been able to find online is that the truck is the same as the Mini T and most parts will work, but even that is over my head

I bought the thing on a whim and kinda regret it since it's really pokey and small, but I can't resist modding stuff. Are there any good resources for a total noob?
I would go with the Elite Nimh packs as I am pretty sure teh Tazer ESC does not have a lipo cut off. You could upgrade it to a brushless system which would alomost certianly have lipo cut off and run lipo pack. It would be pretty quick too.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #828
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I saw that vampire just last night....been a long time so I am going to have to do some reading before I go with a HK plane. I have bought servos and batts from them in the past (about 2yrs ago) and never a problem. They have a darn nice looking corsair as well. SE5a is pretty nice too.....at least they look nice in the photos.
I really like the 1100 series. They are just the right size, use 3S lipos, and are very affordable. They also look great! I'll order one for my next plane. Probably the corsair or the mustang.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #829
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Was cleaning out the closet today... Came across this. Been a while since it saw daylight.

Tamiya Lancia Rally car. Same chassis as the Frog. Right out of the '80s.

Too bad I didn't keep the original box. There's one still in kit form going for $1100 on ebay.
Nice Lancia. That was one of the early cars from Tamiya, known as the first 100. Has the white plastic body which are nicely detailed unlike the poly you get on most today.

My first Tamiya was a Midnight Pumpkin. Then I got a Hot Shot II. After that an Astute. Then I bought a used Bruiser that I rebuilt to almost perfect from a box of misc. parts. Should never have sold that thing. Bought a Grasshopper II sometime in there was well. My last Tamiya was a FWD JTCC Opel Vectra. Now I'm just waiting for Tamiya to re-introduce the Super Champ. It's been my favorite since the beginning. NIB can fetch a couple thousand in Ebay. Even built, and in decent condition, they're several hundred.

Luckily, with that Lancia, you could rebuild the chassis if you need to as, it lived on for a LONG time. The Frog was retired and then re-released and I think it's still available. The BRAT was also re-released which also uses the same chassis. The Black Foot and the Monster Beetle used the same from all through the 80's and well into the 90's. The Monster Beetle was discontinued and the Black Foot took on a new frame as was renamed the Black Foot II.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #830
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

[QUOTE=Jeffy;17773873]My first Tamiya was a Midnight Pumpkin. QUOTE]

Same here. Picked up a Wild WIlly and after that it gets fuzzy as I have had a few. Current stable is a Losi MRC, Axial AX-10, Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL, Stampede 2wd w/ Turnigy/tacon BL system, Bandit with same, Mini E-Revo VXL and a Kyosho Blizzard. No plans for another land vehicle in the near future.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #831
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
I would go with the Elite Nimh packs as I am pretty sure teh Tazer ESC does not have a lipo cut off. You could upgrade it to a brushless system which would alomost certianly have lipo cut off and run lipo pack. It would be pretty quick too.
Great, thanks. Any chance you could point me to a good brushless system? Or tell me what to look for as far as compatibility? Could I just grab any system made for a Mini T?
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #832
Jeffy
Hmm...

[QUOTE=02TAC;17773969]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
My first Tamiya was a Midnight Pumpkin. QUOTE]

Same here. Picked up a Wild WIlly and after that it gets fuzzy as I have had a few. Current stable is a Losi MRC, Axial AX-10, Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL, Stampede 2wd w/ Turnigy/tacon BL system, Bandit with same, Mini E-Revo VXL and a Kyosho Blizzard. No plans for another land vehicle in the near future.
I have a chromed chassis with wheels for mine. This was bought after buying the kit. I think Tamiya has a chrome version as well later on. I need to patch some holes I cut into the hood when I lowed it and needed room for the shocks to pass through. My first real RC truck was a Kyosho Montaro .010 Gas. It was super fast for it's time but the engine was finicky and after it quit on me, I ended up selling it. Kept the Futaba Attack 2 radio though.

Looked like this but not the coloring. Actually I bought a parts car off ebay years ago that had maybe 80% there in the hopes of rebuilding it. That never happened though. They're hard to get parts for as they were never offered in the US for long. The one I got was missing the clutch parts. Those parts are probably the hardest to find too. I've seen a 70% on ebay now, but it was missing the clutch as well.

I also want to fix my Concept 30 SR. I broke the tail controls and can't get teh parts anymore. Supposedly, I can adapt some from another kit but I kinda want kyosho parts. I'll probably just shelve the chopper and not fly it since it is so complete and new. Never flew it and it's been kept inside all it's life. I've fired up the engine a few times which is how I got the tail strike. The gyro was set in reverse so the heli swung into me and I have a scar on my hand form the rear rotor. (no blades on at the time)
Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #833
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I also want to fix my Concept 30 SR. I broke the tail controls and can't get teh parts anymore. Supposedly, I can adapt some from another kit but I kinda want kyosho parts. I'll probably just shelve the chopper and not fly it since it is so complete and new. Never flew it and it's been kept inside all it's life. I've fired up the engine a few times which is how I got the tail strike. The gyro was set in reverse so the heli swung into me and I have a scar on my hand form the rear rotor. (no blades on at the time)
Hey Jeffy, a buddy of mine had a Concept 30 SR that he learned to hover with; as far as I know he's still got it. He might want to unload it since he's in the middle of a house move. I could ask if he's still got it. Any interest?
Buzzbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #834
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber View Post
Hey Jeffy, a buddy of mine had a Concept 30 SR that he learned to hover with; as far as I know he's still got it. He might want to unload it since he's in the middle of a house move. I could ask if he's still got it. Any interest?
Well, I don't have room for another heli. I just need the tail controls at the end of the boom.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #835
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,240
I took some pics tonight...and as we are on Tamiya here are a few of mine.

F103

TA-05 Trans Am Car

I will post some others up a little later....no need to bomb the thread.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #836
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I took some pics tonight...and as we are on Tamiya here are a few of mine.

F103

TA-05 Trans Am Car

I will post some others up a little later....no need to bomb the thread.
It's always cool to see old RC stuff. A TA-05 isn't even that old! Mine is a TA03F, IIRC.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #837
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,414
I wishI had all the original Tamiya kits that I built through the years . I built and ran more than half of the ones avalible Through the years , but being poor and having to trade one for another here and there , you can't keep them all.
I love that F103 , if it ever needs a new home , contact me.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #838
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,846
I think I have an old catalog with the f103 in it. Nice car. I just don't see me using mine anytime in the future. Should probably sell it.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #839
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post
Great, thanks. Any chance you could point me to a good brushless system? Or tell me what to look for as far as compatibility? Could I just grab any system made for a Mini T?
A recomendation for a brushless requiresd the following question;
What is your budget?

Additionally, there is the battery question. For a mild BL system the Nimh packs will work, but in the long run Lipo is hte way to go not matter what BL system you run. That means you need a Lipo compatable chager, balancing type prefered, a lipo sack for charging/storing and most likely a bit of re-gearing if you go with a high KV system.

I have not used this system, but have HW systems in three of my RCs and am quite happy with them
http://www.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing-...r-rc-cars.html

Keep in mind that if you go with this or any other power system that you will need a receiver or possibly a radio and receiver as the stock unit is a combined ESC/receiver.

RC Pilot screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 11:42 AM
RC Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #840
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,501
on a Tamiya theme....
I am building up a Bigwig as a project, buy parts from e-bay gradually.
don't need many parts to complete and not going 100% original, Hotshot wheels and some other brand of shocks as well.

any recommendations on a motor?
I don't want flat out performance, just for fun in the street and dirt in the yard

will be my first tamiya RC, wanted it when it came out, never got it, now catching up with my days from a while back

thanks

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: