ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #856
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!
 
RC Pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: The garage
Oddometer: 5,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
So if I had around $100 to spend on a flying toy, what would y'all recommend? I'd prefer a heli, but that Airmaster looks pretty sweet... Pretty much open to anything that requires more skill than what I have, which means pretty much anything. Suggestions?
What is the most advanced thing you have?
__________________
Yea, whatever.
RC Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #857
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer
 
I_FLY_LOW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 2,590


I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #858
dorkpunch
Oops...
 
dorkpunch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Blackfoot, ID
Oddometer: 5,028
Currently just an Airhogs Blue Sky, which is very simple and flies great... but I'd like to be able to do a little more. Definitely looking for something still a little more introductory as far as airplanes go. I've played with a few small-ish heli's in the past and have really enjoyed them, wouldn't mind getting one of my own. I would like something that I can fly outside in a bit of wind though, cause there's usually a bit of wind around here. Other option is something about the same size as the Airhog but with more control that can be flown in a large gym...
__________________
http://www.mobilemrt.com http://www.dorkpunch.com

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #859
dorkpunch
Oops...
 
dorkpunch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Blackfoot, ID
Oddometer: 5,028
And...

Eventually I would *love* to build a plane- that has always been a goal of mine, but I just don't have the time right now. I've built tons of rubber powered free fliers back in the day, and just got done building 20 of these:







But for now, I'd like to stick to an RTF or ARF.
__________________
http://www.mobilemrt.com http://www.dorkpunch.com

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #860
dorkpunch
Oops...
 
dorkpunch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Blackfoot, ID
Oddometer: 5,028
While we're on the subject... I guess another option would be to get a radio for this thing and fix it up...



No idea what it is, other than its HUGE. Pretty rough shape- holes poked in the covering all over, missing the vertical stabilizer and ruder, wing struts, and wheels(?). Has a weed eater engine in it though, and other than the damage to the tail appears to be in decent shape. Any idea what it is?!
__________________
http://www.mobilemrt.com http://www.dorkpunch.com

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #861
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,438
dorkpunch,

I would recommend spending some time at nitroplanes.com. I would get the airfield J-3 cub. I started off with a cessna 182 4 channel foamy with a 55" wingspan. Foam is cheap and easy to rebuild compared to balsa. I also started off with, and continue to use a simulator for practice. Do not try flying the real thing until you get some sim time. i bought the controller from nitroplanes, but the sim that comes with it is crap. I use clearview. If I had to start over with the hobby the only thing I would do different is get the J-3 instead of the cessna. Taildraggers are easier to land in the RC world. I ended up converting my cessna to a taildragger because the nosegear was weak, and the plane couldn't do a proper flare before landing.

Also, consider where you want to go with it. If you want to get into the warbirds, or more advanced planes get an ARF kit and a 6CH radio that you will be able to use in the future. I have only been flying a couple months and am already shopping for a new radio. I think I will be ordering one this coming week.
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #862
Robert Ford
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Robert Ford's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Danville VA
Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
While we're on the subject... I guess another option would be to get a radio for this thing and fix it up...



No idea what it is, other than its HUGE. Pretty rough shape- holes poked in the covering all over, missing the vertical stabilizer and ruder, wing struts, and wheels(?). Has a weed eater engine in it though, and other than the damage to the tail appears to be in decent shape. Any idea what it is?!
An old Telemaster?


http://www.hobby-lobby.com/12_foot_t..._medium=Google

I think they come in 8' and 12' versions.
Robert Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #863
Jeffy
Hmm...
 
Jeffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF - East Bay
Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
dorkpunch,

I would recommend spending some time at nitroplanes.com. I would get the airfield J-3 cub. I started off with a cessna 182 4 channel foamy with a 55" wingspan. Foam is cheap and easy to rebuild compared to balsa. I also started off with, and continue to use a simulator for practice. Do not try flying the real thing until you get some sim time. i bought the controller from nitroplanes, but the sim that comes with it is crap. I use clearview. If I had to start over with the hobby the only thing I would do different is get the J-3 instead of the cessna. Taildraggers are easier to land in the RC world. I ended up converting my cessna to a taildragger because the nosegear was weak, and the plane couldn't do a proper flare before landing.

Also, consider where you want to go with it. If you want to get into the warbirds, or more advanced planes get an ARF kit and a 6CH radio that you will be able to use in the future. I have only been flying a couple months and am already shopping for a new radio. I think I will be ordering one this coming week.
They have some nice planes as well as www.bananahobby.com. Those RTF kits have everything and the radios are pretty cheap. Although a lot of these shops sell Bind N Fly so he's be able to buy a DX6 or similar and then use that with whatever plane he wanted.
__________________
"I'm going to shift gears now.... This will involve man touching." - Jeremy Clarkson

Jeffy screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 05:18 PM
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #864
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
They have some nice planes as well at www.bananahobby.com. Those RTF kits have everything and the radios are pretty cheap. Although a lot of these shops sell Bind N Fly so he's be able to buy a DX6 or similar and then use that with whatever plane he wanted.
Fixed the link for ya.

BH is ok, but some of their stuff is a bit spendy, and I don't think its as good as Nitro. I think both sites have their good and bad. For 4 ch trainers, I would stick with nitro. For scale warbirds, either one is good. For EDF jets, BH all the way.

I am getting ready to place an order for a DX6i this week. I would do that if I was starting off, or maybe the DX5.
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #865
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,311
I am not going to say good or bad things about online places to buy stuff....just do some reading of reviews of what people think of different outlets.

Try Nitroplanes.com, hobby lobby, even the hobby king planes seem to be getting good reviews.

Not the best time to be flying around here....freezing cold windy...now thunderstorms....in January?!?!? just crazy weather.

I have the Sky Raider ready to go, but the weather is just not helping.....Also got an Alfa P39. Nice little plane....working on getting the gear....by the time the weather gets nice I will have a few planes to fly.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #866
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer
 
I_FLY_LOW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 2,590
Getting closer...

Hopefully the rest of the final bits and peices for this one will be in, today.
Having something made up to go on the back sides of the fuse, between the wing and stab. Will get those this afternoon.
I should be able to wrap this one up, if all goes well, this evening.


I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #867
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer
 
I_FLY_LOW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saget View Post
Nice!! Have you used those OrangeRX receivers before? I just ordered a couple from Hobby King to try out. $19 for a 6-channel with a sattelite receiver. Way better than $90 for a Spektrum, if it works ok. Worth a try.
UPDATE: Maidened the RV-9 this weekend.
Power system was strong, Orange receiver bound up quick, (I went ahead and triple bound it, as a precaution) upon initial install and setup. Of the two three packs of Turnigy servo's, 1 servo would bounce off the end points. (there's a term for this, but can't recall it right now) It works, but doesn't give me the warm fuzzy, so since I only needed 5 servos for the RV, I set this one aside, for now. First flight, plane lifted off at half throttle, and cruised around smoothly, and only needed 2 clicks of right aileron trim. bird flew great. full throttle, it's decently quick, for what it is.
It'll slow down nicely with full flaps.
Landings are straightforward so far as tail draggers go, with no flaps, it seems to like to float in ground effect, a smidge.
I learned the hard way, it'll drop like a rock with flaps, s in the future, probably carry a tad bit of power on landing.
I forgot the fact that I hadn't charged any of the brand new nano packs, and the one I was flying on was the one I used to set the plane up with.
So when I came in for what would be my last landing, with full flaps, I leveled out a tad too high, and went to drop the nose, well, it dropped all right. it stalled..
The batt had dropped into the bec territory, and I was too low to recover from the stall, and it smacked nose down from about 2 feet up.
Knocked the gear/mounging plate out from under it, and one of the wheel pants popped a hole in the under side wing covering.
Took it home, and beefed up the front end, recovered affected areas, and is good to go again.
Back to the nano packs, i had ordered 8 2200 3s packs originally.
7 of them balanced charged up perfectly fine. #8 appeared to have an open, as the chargers, and volt meter read 0 volts...
My bud opened the end of the covering, to find the negative pole was broken between the cells on the battery lead end. He soldered it back together, and was able to salvage the pack. It charged up fine, after that.
So, all in all, Tutnigy motor/ecs, thumbs up... nano packs, thumbs up, hopefully my 1 battery is an isolated incedent. orange receiver seems to work well, so far, Turnigy servos, I think I'm going to spring for some Hitec servos next go round, for the Rhapsody project... I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, so far.
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #868
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I am not going to say good or bad things about online places to buy stuff....just do some reading of reviews of what people think of different outlets.

Try Nitroplanes.com, hobby lobby, even the hobby king planes seem to be getting good reviews.

Not the best time to be flying around here....freezing cold windy...now thunderstorms....in January?!?!? just crazy weather.

I have the Sky Raider ready to go, but the weather is just not helping.....Also got an Alfa P39. Nice little plane....working on getting the gear....by the time the weather gets nice I will have a few planes to fly.
The facebook pages for Nitro and BH are pretty funny sometimes. It seems to be that BH gets slammed more frequently than Nitro. Neither one of them is in good standing with the BBB, but I think Nitro is doing more to improve customer service. Hobby king is also a good source. I have ordered from them many times, but never a plane. I have been very tempted lately to get a Durafly warbird from them, but haven't yet.
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #869
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
The facebook pages for Nitro and BH are pretty funny sometimes. It seems to be that BH gets slammed more frequently than Nitro. Neither one of them is in good standing with the BBB, but I think Nitro is doing more to improve customer service. Hobby king is also a good source. I have ordered from them many times, but never a plane. I have been very tempted lately to get a Durafly warbird from them, but haven't yet.
Same here, Hobby King is looking very good, I have done batts, ESC, Motors, servos......but never a plane.

Thinking very hard about the durafly corsair.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #870
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

Thinking very hard about the durafly corsair.
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014