User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #901
Bobonli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Please recommend a Mac-based RC plane simulator. I'm looking to learn and practice plane handling skills, particularly using the remote. The only one I've seen, at my local hobby shop, is exclusively Windoze based.

Yes, I know I can buy software including Windoze and boot my mac as a PC, but I'd prefer not to do that since I have no other reason to use the Windows OS.

Thanks
Bob
Bobonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #902
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
Please recommend a Mac-based RC plane simulator. I'm looking to learn and practice plane handling skills, particularly using the remote. The only one I've seen, at my local hobby shop, is exclusively Windoze based.

Yes, I know I can buy software including Windoze and boot my mac as a PC, but I'd prefer not to do that since I have no other reason to use the Windows OS.

Thanks
Bob

Realflight is usually thought of as the best sim out there....But IIRC they are only a PC product...pretty pricy as well, but you do get something that looks like a real trans that you plug into your PC. IMHO I would not look at anything that would not hook up to something that looks like or is your actual trans....if it does not it is pointless.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #903
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
You might be stuck with just aerofly. It costs $200+ but looks good at least. I use clearview. It was $40. The controller I use is similar, but not the same as my real world one. It would be best if I could use the same one. I am hoping I can adapt my Spektrum.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #904
Bobonli
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow. Not inexpensive. It looks like Aerofly is the only Mac simulator. Didn't think it would be 3 times the price of my Hobby Zone Champ.

Let me ask this, will Aerofly help me learn basic controls? The description on their website shows it as very sophisticated but for now I just need to get a better grip on the controls.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #905
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow. Not inexpensive. It looks like Aerofly is the only Mac simulator. Didn't think it would be 3 times the price of my Hobby Zone Champ.

Let me ask this, will Aerofly help me learn basic controls? The description on their website shows it as very sophisticated but for now I just need to get a better grip on the controls.

Your best and cheapest bet to learn SOME basic orientation would be pickup an old PC, shop ebay for an older version of RealFlight. You are done for lest then the cost of the mac software.

Years ago I picked up an old (this was in the XP days) copy and while the graphics are not fantast....they do not have to be off of Epay for like $25.

Heck you payed way to much for the Mac...should not be a shock that the software is going to be spendy as well
Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #906
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a blast from the past...all part of the great RC clean up.

Anyone know what it is....the front susp should be a tip off as well as some bits of the rear susp..

And here is how I raced it....it was not an roundy round car

Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #907
Bobonli
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Your best and cheapest bet to learn SOME basic orientation would be pickup an old PC, shop ebay for an older version of RealFlight. You are done for lest then the cost of the mac software.

Years ago I picked up an old (this was in the XP days) copy and while the graphics are not fantast....they do not have to be off of Epay for like $25.

Heck you payed way to much for the Mac...should not be a shock that the software is going to be spendy as well
The price by itself doesn't worry me so long as I will benefit from it. Is it suitable for learning the controls from a beginner standpoint? I'm sure there is plenty of room to grow into it.

I have a beater XP Dell but the power supply and USB are shot, so I'd rather invest in something that will work with what I have and they are macs.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #908
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,447
Is that a Bolink car ? Looks like one I ran years ago , great fun they were.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #909
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The price by itself doesn't worry me so long as I will benefit from it. Is it suitable for learning the controls from a beginner standpoint? I'm sure there is plenty of room to grow into it.

I have a beater XP Dell but the power supply and USB are shot, so I'd rather invest in something that will work with what I have and they are macs.

Everyone is different, but I can just tell you from my experence. I got next to nothing out of the software. I had real flight, with a futaba controller....pretty close to what I fly with. It really did not help me at all.

What I did....and this was years ago was to get GWS Pico Tiger moth, and just go fly the thing. It is light enough and slow enough that you could second guess yourself. Plus it actually looks cool flying.

From that I went to an Easy* and still fly the easy to this day as my camera platform. It is a little faster and it could catch a total newb out, but the foam is easy to repair....but I would still go with something like the little tiger moth.

This is just me and some people say they learned so much with the software....it was just not me.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #910
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
Is that a Bolink car ? Looks like one I ran years ago , great fun they were.
It is a Trinity Revolver 22j....that thing was very skitty to get setup...but once you got it dialed in it was on rails....it was one heck of a 1/12 scale car....I also have the TA car, but always liked this one better. Wind is blowing at about 20mph today, so I may take some more pics, or work on the Alfa P-39....still waiting on parts for the sky raider...going to take that one to the ball field for her first flight....this spring I will carve out a nice dirt strip so I can fly from home.

Here is a video from the easy*

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ent=flying.mp4
Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #911
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
If you already have the Champ, just fly it. Tape and hot glue will repair it quick and easy. I gave one to my friend's 10 year old son 2 Christmas's ago and the only damage it has sustained was folding the wing in half when we landed in the basketball net. Packing tape and 5 minute epoxy had it going again.

The Champ will give you the basic flight controls of throttle, elevator, and rudder. When you are proficient with the Champ you can move on to larger 3 or 4 channel planes or stick with the Ultra Micro line and get something like the T-28 Trojan. It is a full 4 channel setup with ailerons and comes either as Bind and Fly (needs a radio, might be able to pair it with your existing Champ radio, not positive) or as a Ready to Fly with a radio that appears identical to your Champ radio.

I have the Trojan and have flown the Champ. The Champ can be a bit harder to fly if there is any breeze since you have no control over roll aside from the rudder whereas the Trojan you can keep it flying level even in a cross breeze.....mostly. They are only 1 ounce planes after all.

I have the free FMS flight simulator but it looks like MAC support is not available unless you run a Windows emulator, or actual Windows. It will give you the basic flight controls up to and including using ailerons and rudder combined but the flight physics aren't that great and you will think you are a much better pilot than you are but it is good practice. It requires very little for PC performance as my 2004 Compaq laptop with a 1.3GHZ Celeron processor with onboard graphics runs it very well.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #912
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

That is the great things about EPO planes, they repair very easy.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #913
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,488
When it comes to sims, I find Phoenix RC to be very good.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #914
Radu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Has anybody seen this yet ? http://youtu.be/dcDN409ZBv4

sorry if this was already posted .
Radu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #915
crashman44b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216

heres mine. 2 SC10's, Stampede and rocky