User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #946
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,479
I made the mistake of going to the local indor track to watch a big race in town.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #947
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,389
Congrats, you will not be disapointed. Like I said, I love mine. One mod you might want to consider is lowering the body a bit as it sits a bit to high. The mod is very easy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZehwvVe9gQ
two of these are needed - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJK73&P=ML plus 4 nyloc nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Thanks for all the input guys!

While the brushless E Maxx is a very nice kit, it's a little more than I'd like to spend on something I'm not sure how much it will be used, so I've decided on the brushless Stampede 4X4.

HERE for $385, with the ability to add lipo batteries in the future.

I did stop at our local shop yesterday 02TAC, but unfortunately it is set up 90% for planes and trains.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #948
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsman76 View Post
i made the mistake of going to the local indor track to watch a big race in town.
and....................
Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #949
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
My first shot at doing a movie from the plane....I had the camera on the very tip of the nose and it looked a little bouncy to me. Plane is an easy* and the camera is a fly cam one....and turn the sound WAY down...lots of motor and wind noise.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #950
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,479
And I have a bad feeling I'm going to be buying an 1/8 scale electric buggy in the future. I always wanted a nitro one years ago.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #951
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76 View Post
And I have a bad feeling I'm going to be buying an 1/8 scale electric buggy in the future. I always wanted a nitro one years ago.
Personally if you have never done nitro anything and even if you have I would skip it. Electric brings all the pluses and none of the negitives to the table...I am sure the slimers will disagree but if you just look at the facts it is true. The only thing you miss is the sound and smell of the nitro engines....and even I will admit I do miss that.

I did 1/8 back when gas was it...mid 90's I guess. They are some pretty heavy, and darn fast cars. If you are going to be racing I would suggest that you start with a 1/10 car then move up....if you are just bashing that is different.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #952
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

[QUOTE=FPGT72;17928422]Personally if you have never done nitro anything and even if you have I would skip it. Electric brings all the pluses and none of the negitives to the table...QUOTE]

Agreed. I have had nitro, but find electric to be far mroe user friendly and not near as messy. Even all my planes are electric. Every time I think about trying a nitro plane, one of the guys at the flyign field has nothing but trouble from his engine and it reminds me why I should stay electric.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #953
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Personally if you have never done nitro anything and even if you have I would skip it. Electric brings all the pluses and none of the negitives to the table...I am sure the slimers will disagree but if you just look at the facts it is true. The only thing you miss is the sound and smell of the nitro engines....and even I will admit I do miss that.

I did 1/8 back when gas was it...mid 90's I guess. They are some pretty heavy, and darn fast cars. If you are going to be racing I would suggest that you start with a 1/10 car then move up....if you are just bashing that is different.

I agree. I never did nitro RC but I did do plenty of nitro control line aircraft. Got tired of having castor oil/exhaust on everything and constantly having to replace glowplugs, etc. Damn little engines are a pain in the ass.

My current RC plane which I never fly is a Zagi wing with a motor and it was pretty awesome. Hard to fly though because when it gets up there it can be difficult to tell which way is right side up...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #954
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
My current RC plane which I never fly is a Zagi wing with a motor and it was pretty awesome. Hard to fly though because when it gets up there it can be difficult to tell which way is right side up...
Solid color on one side, checkerboard or stripes or a different color on the other would solve that issue.....
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #955
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

I am sick I tell you....I have an Airfield Sky Raider that had not even flown yet...too cold/windy/rainy.... I am building a Alfa P-39 right now....and I just ordered this silly thing....just had to have it...you just don't see them every day. I am telling myself no more planes till the Parkzone D.V comes out....we will see how long that lasts.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #956
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Solid color on one side, checkerboard or stripes or a different color on the other would solve that issue.....

BRILLIANT!

I've always wondered why I always see them like that! Wow I'm stupid sometimes

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #957
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

BRILLIANT!

I've always wondered why I always see them like that! Wow I'm stupid sometimes
you are kidding right??

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #958
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
you are kidding right??
...mostly

Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #959
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

Is 1/8th still popular? I remember the Burns but that's about it. It only got popular in the 90's then died off it seems. Everything is basically 1/10th or 1/12th.

I have to agree with the others that gas is messy. It's fun when it's working and a PITA when it's not. Fuel used to be relatively inexpensive. About a gallon for $20-30 back in the 80's and 90's. Now it's a lot more expensive. I think that's one of the biggest drawbacks. The mess isn't that big of a deal. Yeah, everything gets covered in oil eventually and if you don't clean the engine, it will get gummed up. After the first run, you can usually start the engine without glow assistance. Refueling only takes a minute or two and you're back in the game. The noise, smoke and the speed are what makes it exciting.

On the other hand, invest in multiple battery packs and you won't have much downtime. With brushless motors and lipo batteries, you can have some really long run times. Even with the NiCad's, you can have regenerative braking on most ECS's which does help.

If you want to just have fun then go electric. If you want to tinker then consider gas. I still miss when all required assembly. I hate how they all seems to be RTR. Building them was half the fun.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #960
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Is 1/8th still popular? I remember the Burns but that's about it. It only got popular in the 90's then died off it seems. Everything is basically 1/10th or 1/12th.
1/8 off road is about the 3rd most popular class at the track that I races at last year. 2wd Short Course was the most popular. There was not enough cars to run the gas and electric separate so we were run together. There is no real advantage to either on the track. The nitros were lighter but the electrics have more torque.

It is amazing the amount of power that the 1/8 cars can handle and how fast they are. The 1/5 gasoline cars have an appeal but I think the 1/8 electrics are faster. They at least accelerate much faster.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: