User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #961
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,412
1/5 scale gas is slower , but it is more of a scale speed. Actually quit impressive .
I raced alot of nitro , but electric is they way to go nowadays . Less mess , you dont need a pit guy if you are racing and seeing a brushless R/C blazing around with its head on fire is FUN !
I just got into crawlers/scale , but am getting the itch for something with some speed to it , looking at the AXIAL EXO buggy. Which is a kit and you can put whatever power you want in it , seems like a recipe for some good bashing .
Old 02-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #962
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
1/5 scale gas is slower , but it is more of a scale speed. Actually quit impressive .
I raced alot of nitro , but electric is they way to go nowadays . Less mess , you dont need a pit guy if you are racing and seeing a brushless R/C blazing around with its head on fire is FUN !
I just got into crawlers/scale , but am getting the itch for something with some speed to it , looking at the AXIAL EXO buggy. Which is a kit and you can put whatever power you want in it , seems like a recipe for some good bashing .
You know Tamiya has just announced they are bringing back the Bruiser? I hope the street price is going to be much less then MSRP. I owned an original one back in the 90's. It was awesome BUT was slow and tipped over quite easily when off-camber. Sold it for $100! I swapped the body for a Clodbuster body in white. The suspension had a small 1/2" lift which made it look more proportional with the tires.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #963
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

I had one of the originals as well , and sold it for cheap. The friggin axles sell for a few hundred dollars ! Until now , the re-release is gonna kill that market.
I see the going price is still over $900.00
You want a scale , leaf spring chassis toyota ... Check out the RC4WD Trail Finder 2 , affordable , hardbody and scale as hell. Two speed tranny (the Bruiser is three like the original ) and $399 for the kit. RC4WD makes some really nice stuff , well worth the money.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #964
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
I had one of the originals as well , and sold it for cheap. The friggin axles sell for a few hundred dollars ! Until now , the re-release is gonna kill that market.
I see the going price is still over $900.00
You want a scale , leaf spring chassis toyota ... Check out the RC4WD Trail Finder 2 , affordable , hardbody and scale as hell. Two speed tranny (the Bruiser is three like the original ) and $399 for the kit. RC4WD makes some really nice stuff , well worth the money.
Wow, that's hot! http://store.rc4wd.com/Trail-Finder-...et_p_2108.html

Old 02-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #965
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

I would have posted the video , but for some reason I can't seem to cut and paste anymore . Don't know if it's a computer or a mouse deal
Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #966
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
1/8 is about the same here, but most everything is electric. Our local outdoor track is very large and really made for the 1/8 and 1/5...inside they will not allow the 1/8 as it just tears up the track too much....funny I always thought of it as dirt....but it is more like hard packed clay.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #967
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Just saw the bruiser listed on RPP Hobby , good store by the way.
http://www.rpphobby.com/Tamiya_RC_To...p/tam58519.htm
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #968
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Just saw the bruiser listed on RPP Hobby , good store by the way.
http://www.rpphobby.com/Tamiya_RC_To...p/tam58519.htm
$750 isn't too bad. I noticed they changed the motor from the original. It originally has a 760 motor, IIRC. It was a lot bigger then the 540's. Back in the day, I made an adapter plate and used a Magic Pumpkin pinion gear and ran a 540 in mine. Now they seem to have fixed it so it uses the more common 540.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #969
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
So I'm thinking of a silly project... a plane that can fly itself. Figured with a gyro unit, two servos, a speed controller and electric motor, if I can find/make a programmable box that'll hold a program in memory... anyways, anyone ever heard of a kit/project like this? Looking for tips on where to start with the controller box.
Wouldn't there be big problems with environment variables affecting the stored program? IE - you create the program on a still day, but run it and have crosswinds/tailwinds, etc... it'll throw the program geometry off and the program won't end with the plane where you thought it would be. Unless you have GPS that can correct for straying off the route.
nadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #970
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
$750 isn't too bad. I noticed they changed the motor from the original. It originally has a 760 motor, IIRC. It was a lot bigger then the 540's. Back in the day, I made an adapter plate and used a Magic Pumpkin pinion gear and ran a 540 in mine. Now they seem to have fixed it so it uses the more common 540.
I guess in the grand scheme of things , I have a bad feeling I am gonna be explaining to my wife what I bought for $750.00 in the next couple months
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #971
NJjeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
You mean Midnight Pumpkin.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #972
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
You mean Midnight Pumpkin.
D'oh, yes, Midnight Pumpkin. It has the really long pinion gear which. The Hornet, Grasshopper, etc rear end...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #973
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
I guess in the grand scheme of things , I have a bad feeling I am gonna be explaining to my wife what I bought for $750.00 in the next couple months
It's a nice truck. Well built. The transmission has no syncros so it can be a pain to shift sometimes. The truck is slow and heavy though so speed isn't really it's thing anyway. I used a 2 channel controller and manually shifted the transmission. After a while the gears do round out and need to be replaced.

Really though, I think that RC4WD Toyota is better looking since it's a lot more scale. Although, I'd have to replace that grill with a Bruiser/Mountaneer grill with the proper round headlights.

I think the only way Tamiya will get my money is if they reissue the Super Champ. That's my Holy Grail of RC cars.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #974
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

I think its the nostalgia of it , i grew up on Tamiya kits and still have a Clodbuster , a Lunchbox and an original blackfoot . For a runner , i agree about the Trail Finder , that thing is money .
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #975
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
I still have a soft spot for the sand scorcher...always wanted to pickup a re re of that car....just never have tho.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: