Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #991
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokalr13 View Post
just got me this RTF super cub[$200 cad] this is supposed to be the best way to get into rc flying ..then naturally, you move on up to B29s after you crash the hell out of this plane and learn all about wind shear- foam repair-lipos and chargers and high voltage lines you can put floats on it
Congrats!

I have one.

It is a fantastic plane!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #992
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Took my Texan out for a flight this evening. Went to a newer subdivision that was great for flying. The field had at least 100+ black birds that all took off as soon as it got in the air. I had fun chasing them around until they all left. Good times.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #993
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
I liked the look of that plane, but the 3 channel was a killer for me. I still can't fly a 3 channel plane real well. I don't know why.
Most of the little alfa's are 3 out of the box...you can change that pretty easy...but I have no real problem with them.

IMHO the best planes out of the box are the bigger parkzone planes....stay away from anything smaller then the F4F and the p51 "gunfighter" plane.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #994
duck851
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Not sure if I should post this here or somewhere in Jomomma!

Since 1997, A Man Has Been Digging Out His Basement Using Only R/C Scale-Model Construction Equipment:

http://gizmodo.com/5884801/since-199...tion-equipment

Some videos:
http://jalopnik.com/5884789/a-baseme...lery/gallery/2
duck851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #995
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,412
He will be doing that till 2097
Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #996
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck851 View Post

Since 1997, A Man Has Been Digging Out His Basement Using Only R/C Scale-Model Construction Equipment:

Some videos:
That's pretty cool. Although that guy really has a lot of time on his hands.

Edit: I was looking around, and those cat tractors are in the $5K-$7K each! That guy has a lot of money tied up in that stuff.

pilot815 screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 03:24 PM
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #997
Mini Trail
n°°b

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck851 View Post

Some videos:
Unless Sofía Vergara has a major wardrobe malfunction tonight on Modern Familly that will be the most awesome thing I see all day.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #998
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,801
jesus, that guy needs a girlfriend.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #999
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
So the only other thing you need besides the plane is a radio and receiver?

Now for the stupid question... They look like they fly pretty slow. Would they be a decent plane for a still learning pilot, or are they really twitchy and more reserved for someone with lotsa flight time?
The Twisted Hobbys site has everything but the radio. I bought the Power Combo since it's matched to the plane.

They can be good beginner planes if you dial down servo travel and rates. They're tough and are very responsive. But, they also roll and flip like crazy if you want them too.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #1000
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,313
After watching some of the "in air" plane videos, I want to get back into an RC plane, so I can mount my GoPro camera to the top of a plane and take some video.

I've been in and out of RC a couple of times over the years and I can fly most anything competently. But this time, I'm interested in electric, which I have never had. And I also want an ARF, because I don't have any shop space to build. Plus ARF were just becoming popular the last time I got out and they were mainly trainers.

I figure I'm gonna need another trainer like plane, to have a stable camera platform and my landing areas are tight and tree lined, so I don't need anything that lands hot. I'm also partial to scale like planes instead of generic designs, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Any suggestions for manufacturers or good websites to purchase stuff.

And not this matters either, but I was always partial to JR radios and am wondering it this is still a good route, or if there are other cheaper just a good stuff? I figure I'm going to want a basic 6 channel computer radio?
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #1001
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
The Twisted Hobbys site has everything but the radio. I bought the Power Combo since it's matched to the plane.

They can be good beginner planes if you dial down servo travel and rates. They're tough and are very responsive. But, they also roll and flip like crazy if you want them too.
Yeah, I went back and added everything to a cart just to see what it REALLY costed... came out to just shy of $190. Thats for EVERYTHING (except the landing gear and spinner) except the radio transmitter.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #1002
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Yeah, I went back and added everything to a cart just to see what it REALLY costed... came out to just shy of $190. Thats for EVERYTHING (except the landing gear and spinner) except the radio transmitter.
My setup for plane, power combo, three spare props, receiver, spare prop saver, two batteries, receiver, landing gear and shipping was $210. My Spektrum DX7S was $300 but well worth it.

I'll take a video when home and get a chance to fly.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #1003
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
After watching some of the "in air" plane videos, I want to get back into an RC plane, so I can mount my GoPro camera to the top of a plane and take some video.

I've been in and out of RC a couple of times over the years and I can fly most anything competently. But this time, I'm interested in electric, which I have never had. And I also want an ARF, because I don't have any shop space to build. Plus ARF were just becoming popular the last time I got out and they were mainly trainers.

I figure I'm gonna need another trainer like plane, to have a stable camera platform and my landing areas are tight and tree lined, so I don't need anything that lands hot. I'm also partial to scale like planes instead of generic designs, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Any suggestions for manufacturers or good websites to purchase stuff.

And not this matters either, but I was always partial to JR radios and am wondering it this is still a good route, or if there are other cheaper just a good stuff? I figure I'm going to want a basic 6 channel computer radio?
Hi from Muscatine! I'm visiting my in- laws. My FIL's mom passed away. Funeral was today.

Radio? DX6i.

What size plane you looking for? How much does a Go Pro weigh? Parkzone has a lot of awesome RTF and Bind and Fly planes. E-Flite has some ARFs.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #1004
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Hi from Muscatine! I'm visiting my in- laws. My FIL's mom passed away. Funeral was today.

Radio? DX6i.

What size plane you looking for? How much does a Go Pro weigh? Parkzone has a lot of awesome RTF and Bind and Fly planes. E-Flite has some ARFs.

I'm guessing the GoPro weighs at least 6oz, maybe more? Plus it's gonna put up some drag. I'm assuming I will need at least a .40 size plane, maybe .60. I don't know how that equates to an electric. I was hoping someone who has done this might speak up.

I go to Muscatine (or close) all the time to ride.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #1005
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Has anyone bought plans from rcm since the magazine went under? Some of the guys I used to fly with lost the remainder of their subscriptions when the mag went broke.
I used to fly, then my daughter came along. Now she's seven and wanting to learn to fly.
I am old school. Real kits, build from plans, build from my own plans. Never had anything but glow but wondering about the new electric stuff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: