I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #1037
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,115
Stumbled on this... kinda sad. Looks like landing gear are a common weak point?!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #1038
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,727
Got some more parts this morning for the Bigwig I am going to build, not many more to get, just they seem to be a bit hard to find now, oh well, back to e-bay later
Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #1039
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,663
That rocks, Saget. I bought an E-Flite mQX quad. Pretty neat. My first multi rotor. How do trikes handle? You're always one prop short for equal torque effect...

On another note, I scored a 48" span powered parachute from a United Airlines pilot off Craigslist for $30. Came with a metal gear high torque Hitec for steering. It's set up in a trike design. He used a .25 nitro but I'm going to go electric.

DakarNick screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 07:19 PM
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #1040
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,298
This one is pretty good. Liking the 1/4 scale.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #1041
klp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Another Newb Question

Forgive me if this is the same level debate as which motor oil to use.

I am trying to decide on a <$500 RC off road style car just to play around with my son. He is two so it is more for me but it will be something for us to do together. I really like the buggy style, I was looking at the Hobby King 1/5 gas buggy.

So do I go with gas or electric? When I was younger my friend had a battery RC and it seemed we were always waiting for batteries to charge, so I am inclined to get gas.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #1042
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
As a complete noob, I just went through this very thing and the overwhelming general consensus was a battery vehicle + one extra in the charger for rotation.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #1043
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,482
Ok, we have up to $500 for the budget.

The next question is where you plan to run it. Do you have access to wide open areas or are we taking local parks, back yards and teh street in front of the house? If the answer is the latter, you may fing the 1/5 scale vehicles will get old fast as they do need some room to run. They do, however, have the advantage of runnign on pump gas and as such can run all day long with only the receiver battery needing to be charged now ansd then.

If a 1/5 is not suitable, I have found the best all around play trucks to be the Traxxas Stampede VXL in either 2WD or 4WD. I have both. The 2WD is just plain fun. The 4WD is for all intents and purposes a 3/4 sized E-Maxx without the complexity of a two speed gearbox or the need for two batteries at a time. Both of them have a trainign ode in teh esc that limits power to 50% so you kid would be able to play with it with out it being overly fast.

Speaking of batteries, they are far cheaper than they used to be (relatively). I run 5000mah 40C packs from Hobbypartz.com. http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000...-hardcase.html. They are cheaper than what I paid for 1500mah nicad packs 25+ years ago. Run time is great, plenty of power.

charger option - http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-balancecharger-6200.html

With one of their coupons, you can get the Stampede 4X4 from Towerhobbies for under $400. Add to that two or three batteries and a charger from Hobbypatz and your total will be around $500. You can always pick up additional batteries as needed. If you go with the 2wd instead you can it, with a coupon, for closer to #300 plus batteries and charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klp View Post
Forgive me if this is the same level debate as which motor oil to use.

I am trying to decide on a <$500 RC off road style car just to play around with my son. He is two so it is more for me but it will be something for us to do together. I really like the buggy style, I was looking at the Hobby King 1/5 gas buggy.

So do I go with gas or electric? When I was younger my friend had a battery RC and it seemed we were always waiting for batteries to charge, so I am inclined to get gas.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #1044
klp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Thanks

Thank you for the replies.

I have plenty of open space here that is maintained lawn - we live at a boarding school with athletic fields all over. One of my reasons for getting a larger size RC was it could handle some speed on the grass. My friends old one, dunno what scale it was but it would struggle and crash on smallish bumps. It could certainly not carry much speed on rough terrain. Will a 1/5 buggy handle roughish lawn at speed?

What sort of run time could I expect from a modern battery setup? Also, how long to recharge, can the charger do more than one battery at a time?

What about range for the remote? Is 100 yards or more to be expected? I guess once it gets too far away it becomes tough to drive anyway as you can't see where you are going.

I like that the Traxxas trucks have a speed limiter, I am guessing it is possible to rig some sort of throttle stop on the gas ones too?

Is the 2wd tough to drive and keep in a straight line? Does the 4wd make it easier to drive or just more capable in different terrain?

klp screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 02:12 PM
klp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #1045
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,450
I'm impressed Saget, all I've managed to do with my RTF heli is crash it into just about anything that moves..... the worst one was the neighbours cat that took to stalking it any time I went outside, so far heli 1, cat 0.

I have however, finally managed to get the remains of the helicopter to hover and do close manouvers with minimal damage to myself.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #1046
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
I'm impressed Saget, all I've managed to do with my RTF heli is crash it into just about anything that moves..... the worst one was the neighbours cat that took to stalking it any time I went outside, so far heli 1, cat 0.

I have however, finally managed to get the remains of the helicopter to hover and do close manouvers with minimal damage to myself.

Thanks But don't feel too bad. What I failed to share was the fact the I spent several months and made countless trips to the hobby shop for parts before I could hover a heli with any confidence. I can't even begin to say how many times I hit the house, the neighbor's car, or myself. Mostly just the ground though. I should have spent some of that money on a simulator, it would have paid for itself in no time.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #1047
DakarNick
Swabee

Saget, I'm assuming the front motors counter rotate to eachother and the rear is the same as one of the fronts. If so, it must have a tendency to yaw, even if slightly. Is the rear motor pivoted at a certain angle af neutral-stick?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #1048
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Only 1/12 scale and smaller would have a hard time in grass or a rough lawn. The stampedes have 4" tall tires and can get over 30mph even on rough ground. The 1/5 scales are cool but are like having an rc go cart they are so big. Good luck running at a public place with a 1/5 scale as well since they dig trenches on take off in the dirt or grass depending on tires.

I second the Stampede suggestion, especially the 2wd as it is simpler and easier to maintain.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #1049
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Saget, I'm assuming the front motors counter rotate to eachother and the rear is the same as one of the fronts. If so, it must have a tendency to yaw, even if slightly. Is the rear motor pivoted at a certain angle af neutral-stick?

That's how it SHOULD be, but it so happens I couldn't find a left-handed prop in the size I wanted. They're all 12x3.8's turning counter clockwise. And yes, the tail motor is tilted off to the right quite a bit at neutral stick, probably about 10 degrees. It's much like how the tail rotor in a normal heli is counteracting the torque of the main rotor all the time. In a hover you can see the servo on the tail motor is very busy keeping it stable.

With a quad or hex copter (even number of props), all the motors are mounted rigidly. In that case, you need half spinning right and half spinning left. The magic gyro board would then vary the speed of the left spinning vs. right spinning motors to achieve yaw control purely by torque. When all the right-hand-turning props speed up and left-hand-turning props slow down, the model will yaw to the right, and vice-versa.

Edit: Here's a head-on photo that shows what I mean.

2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650

Saget screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 07:21 PM
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #1050
DakarNick
Swabee

Thanks Saget. Makes sense. Yeah, I know about quads. I have the little Blade mQX. It's neat watching and listening to the motors fight to keep it stable.

I really like your plywood design!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: