User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #1111
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
Those HK, Durafly, FMS planes have sure come a LONG way. I am going to be mounting the Rec in the Stuka likely tonight, and the plane is just fantastic all the way around...detail, build quality...and from user reports seems to fly very well.

I am not a horizon fan boy, but after seeing the almost $400 Eflight Hurricane and then this Stuka that I got for $160....ahh no brainer.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #1112
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Let me know what you think of the stuka. I am thinking it could be a fun airplane. Mount the quanum RC bomb from hobbyking on it and dive bomb your friends!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #1113
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Pretty slick!...
I_FLY_LOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #1114
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
Pretty slick!...
Looks underpowered by the way it moves.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #1115
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,199
"Marty, if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!" Love that movie.

I remember wondering if I could rig something up to control a full size car if I had that badass (for the time) Futaba radio Doc had; I was around 10 at the time and my father and I had a Polk's Aristocraft 7-channel radio and were busy crashing a Telemaster.......the equipment now blows that stuff away, but I'm still crashing and blaming it on the radio to this day, and I still dont' have a full scale r/c car. Did just pick up a DX8 on the cheap, though.
Buzzbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #1116
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,208
need to get a few more parts to complete the Tamiya Bigwig I am wanting to build, no one seems to have them on E-bay (could be the search terms i am using) anyway, I see that the Tamiya Supershot is being released as the Super Hotshot...

http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...shot/index.htm

Might just come home with one of these in the next few weeks.....
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #1117
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
need to get a few more parts to complete the Tamiya Bigwig I am wanting to build, no one seems to have them on E-bay (could be the search terms i am using) anyway, I see that the Tamiya Supershot is being released as the Super Hotshot...

Good thing I'm broke after picking up the DX8. I always wanted a Supershot and couldn't afford it as a kid. Maybe the price will come down after it's been released a while and I can finally get one.
Buzzbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #1118
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Let me know what you think of the stuka. I am thinking it could be a fun airplane. Mount the quanum RC bomb from hobbyking on it and dive bomb your friends!
I bought the ARF of the stuka...no rec. I just installed a corona rec last night...my first time with a non chrystal rec..I still fly FM.

In the process of hooking flaps and all and playing with them I hear a clunck.....they forgot to put the screw to hold the horn on the flap servo on the right wing....small quality control issue there that I had not read about. She is almost ready to go.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #1119
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:

I always liked the Hot Shot with it's cantilever dampeners. I have a Hot Shot II in boxes with a Sassy Chassie. Only problem is I scavenged all the BB's for another car way back when. Although I could probably put it back together for $20. I also need an Astute chassis as I carved mine up to make a chassis for my Hot Shot II. Also need new diff side gears. The only truck I have that's together is the Midnight Pumpkin with an aftermarket chrome chassis. (bought before Tamiya decided to do it as well.)
Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #1120
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I always liked the Hot Shot with it's cantilever dampeners. I have a Hot Shot II in boxes with a Sassy Chassie. Only problem is I scavenged all the BB's for another car way back when. Although I could probably put it back together for $20. I also need an Astute chassis as I carved mine up to make a chassis for my Hot Shot II. Also need new diff side gears. The only truck I have that's together is the Midnight Pumpkin with an aftermarket chrome chassis. (bought before Tamiya decided to do it as well.)
That seems like so funky projects there. I am amazed at the number of aftermarket parts available and also different parts from Tamiya. I actually find it quite confusing as this is all new to me.
I was looking on google for info about the supershot and saw a video clip of a hotshot with two independent rear shocks and three front shocks (or the transverse across the front was a dummy)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahoo/...detail/?page=2

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #1121
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
That seems like so funky projects there. I am amazed at the number of aftermarket parts available and also different parts from Tamiya. I actually find it quite confusing as this is all new to me.
I was looking on google for info about the supershot and saw a video clip of a hotshot with two independent rear shocks and three front shocks (or the transverse across the front was a dummy)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahoo/...detail/?page=2

Hay Ewe
Never heard of HSX-07 inboard shocks. I think you're supposed to remove the old mono-shock and just run the inboard shocks. Still, it's a convoluted setup. The simplest is to run a SuperShot front shock tower. IIRC, I made shock towers out of some sheet aluminum and bolted them to the sway bar mounts using those two long screws that attach the diffs to the chassis. There were holes for the lower A arms that I used for the lower shock mount. My shocks looked similar to this:

The mono shock setup looks cool but doesn't really work to well. The spring has to have a higher spring rate which makes the front end bounce around rather then suck up bumps. I don't really get why there is a sway bar at all since once side compresses while forcing the opposite side to extend. Still, it looked cool.

Also looks like the person customized his Hotshot a lot. Cutting the upper A arms to make them adjustable.

Sassy Chassis was pretty big back in the day. I think they make kits for just about every Tamiya car/truck. The Hotshot sheds a lot of weight with the chassis gone. Also gives you access to the insides and allows the speed controller to breath. The HS II had a nice skid plate that ran under the battery and protected the rear diff which is a lot nicer then the HS I with it's little fiberglass V shaped battery support.

I just saw this http://www.rc-lohas.com/product_hotshot.html Pretty cool but looks a bit heavy. I made a fiberglass chassis (chopped up my Astute) with aluminum supports for the diff to help cut down weight. It worked rather well too. Looked better then the Sassy.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #1122
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,432
Anyone fly a Hausler 450 electric heli?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #1123
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,299
My newest aquisition, Parkzone Icon A5 amphibious:

Flown six times (two land, four water), crashed once in water. Fixed up and ready to go except for a servo that got wet. Should have her up and running again by this weekend.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #1124
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
My newest aquisition, Parkzone Icon A5 amphibious:

Flown six times (two land, four water), crashed once in water. Fixed up and ready to go except for a servo that got wet. Should have her up and running again by this weekend.
Cool plane. It makes me wish there was water around here to fly off.

My cub seen a few posts back crashed a couple weeks ago. I was bringing it in on final to land so that I could pack it up and bring it home, and I lost complete control. When I got to the wreckage, the battery was disconnected so I wonder if that was the cause. Of course the UBEC could have burned, or the radio browned out. I really am not sure.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #1125
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Cool plane. It makes me wish there was water around here to fly off.

My cub seen a few posts back crashed a couple weeks ago. I was bringing it in on final to land so that I could pack it up and bring it home, and I lost complete control. When I got to the wreckage, the battery was disconnected so I wonder if that was the cause. Of course the UBEC could have burned, or the radio browned out. I really am not sure.
Thanks! Sorry about your Cub. Radio problems always suck. A bush took mine out. Coming in low on final standing on the pond dam. Back to water, plane coming toward me. Nice and low to grease it in and whack... a foot too low. Damn willow clipped the wing and sponsons. Broke the tail clean off.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: