User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 AM   #1216
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,428
spent some time this evening cleaning parts for the vintage Tamiya Supershot I got a few weeks back.

should get the build started next week. Also waiting on final parts for my Bigwig as well

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #1217
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,832
Well I found a 2wd Slash online for 190 and then a Pro Line Bug body for another 40, they are on their way! She is excited as all hell and so am I! New hobby for us to do together
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #1218
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Well I found a 2wd Slash online for 190 and then a Pro Line Bug body for another 40, they are on their way! She is excited as all hell and so am I! New hobby for us to do together
You are going to have a great time....one word of warning.

If you ever decide to go racing, keep an eye on the GF.....I have found thtat some that race RC cars.....and more that do slot cars have never seen a real 3d female besides their mother.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #1219
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

If you ever decide to go racing, keep an eye on the GF.....I have found thtat some that race RC cars.....and more that do slot cars have never seen a real 3d female besides their mother.
Point well taken! Similar to the Sci Fi convention crowd.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #1220
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Have you guys seen this....just came out this week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxpJCggcAwQ

I am also going crazy for their Sky Raider.

I guess one good thing about pinching a nerve is that I can spend time looking at these planes and pick up a few....won't be shooting for quite a while.

I am in the finish stages of building this:..but one thing I will tell you is don't build a model while you are on Percocet and muscle relaxers....I put the top wing on backwards.....think I may wait a while to fly :)
Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #1221
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Have you guys seen this....just came out this week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxpJCggcAwQ

I am also going crazy for their Sky Raider.

I guess one good thing about pinching a nerve is that I can spend time looking at these planes and pick up a few....won't be shooting for quite a while.

I am in the finish stages of building this:..but one thing I will tell you is don't build a model while you are on Percocet and muscle relaxers....I put the top wing on backwards.....think I may wait a while to fly :)
Saw the durafly. Cool plane. Got me thinking of buying the big FMS Stuka. The club I am joining is a grass strip, and I don't think the 1100mm durafly planes would be ideal there. Plus, I like the bigger planes.

I should start working on my Super Cub this week, and hopefully have it done. I ordered solar digital metal gear servos from hobbypartz after reading some good reviews on them. At $10/servo, they are cheap. I am excited for them to get here.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #1222
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Saw the durafly. Cool plane. Got me thinking of buying the big FMS Stuka. The club I am joining is a grass strip, and I don't think the 1100mm durafly planes would be ideal there. Plus, I like the bigger planes.

I should start working on my Super Cub this week, and hopefully have it done. I ordered solar digital metal gear servos from hobbypartz after reading some good reviews on them. At $10/servo, they are cheap. I am excited for them to get here.
I bought the Stuka...but have not flown it yet....it is a very nice plane....got me sold on the FMS line.

I have not done a durafly yet....but I am going to have to check it out.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #1223
Achiii
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
I flew on a very regular basis with my dad, growing up, and continued to fly regularly in college. Did not fly so much since graduating, just occasionally. Recently we were in need of some aerial photos for archaeological projects overseas. I mentioned that I had once flown film cameras on model planes successfully as a high school student, and so my boss got me started on a project to implement some AP (aerial photography) at our site this summer. This has resulted in me acquiring two craft, a traditional foamie 4 channel trainer and a quad. This is great fun. Got the first good shots from the plane today, which allowed this 3d model to be constructed:

The quad is still being debugged, but it hovers nicely and should be great for some lower level vertical shots:

Old 05-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #1224
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiii View Post
I flew on a very regular basis with my dad, growing up, and continued to fly regularly in college. Did not fly so much since graduating, just occasionally. Recently we were in need of some aerial photos for archaeological projects overseas. I mentioned that I had once flown film cameras on model planes successfully as a high school student, and so my boss got me started on a project to implement some AP (aerial photography) at our site this summer. This has resulted in me acquiring two craft, a traditional foamie 4 channel trainer and a quad. This is great fun. Got the first good shots from the plane today, which allowed this 3d model to be constructed:

The quad is still being debugged, but it hovers nicely and should be great for some lower level vertical shots:

Are you using something similar to this?

It's a turnkey setup that looks freakin awesome for not a whole lot of money.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #1225
Achiii
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Are you using something similar to this?

It's a turnkey setup that looks freakin awesome for not a whole lot of money.
Hmmm, I think you can do better than that price. The most expensive component in that system is the ardupilot, which is 200 bucks. The rest of that plane is not really worth 400$. The model itself is from HobbyKing and has been updated a little: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C%5FPlane.html
it costs 70 bucks. And a motor, ESC, and servos will NOT cost the other 330 dollars. Putting it all together is not so hard (well, putting the plane together is not hard, setting up and debugging the ardupilot would be a pain, but probably that is true even if you buy this prebuilt system). And that 600 doesn't include a tx/rx or battery, either.

Im not using an onboard flight control system for the plane (the ardupilot in this case) Im just using a simple foamie trainer I bought and rigged up to carry 2 different cameras in the belly. We are doing this on a small budget as a test. We can upgrade as it is successful and useful. I don't need to have return-to-home functionality or waypoint routing as all of our aerial photos are relatively small scale next to sites I can physically stand next to and fly over. The ardupilot would be super fun to experiment with, though.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #1226
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Update on getting the GF into RC....

She gave me the ok to go ahead and get the Slash 4x4 that I found at the LHS. We charged that up (an agonizing 8 hours! Gah!) And we found a nice deserted alley for her to practice in. Put the ESC into Training mode and started her out nice and slow. She did really well I am happy to report.

And more importantly she loves it!! Even suggested we go to the local races on Sunday to watch. I am just amazed at this new found interest in a typically "man" hobby. Yup she's a keeper!

And I will try for pics the next time we are out

Yes a fast charger is on the to get list soon but amazingly enough we were getting well over an hour run times with the stock NiMh battery in training mode.

Stock photo of what I picked up for me
Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #1227
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
If you do not want to go 1/16 scale, Proline offers a body for the Slash - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXPL4&P=7
I have this body for my Slash 4x4 VLX. It's fun to see flying around the back yard. The only bad thing is that it was my first body kit and it needed painting. I did a horrible job with some krylon I had. I should have gotten the model paint designed for this. Blah... Love the body. I'll by it again since I really enjoy the old VW Bug look.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #1228
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
I used to race the 2wd slash when they first came out. Until everyone started putting 1/8 buggy tires on them which have way to much grip. It took all of the fun out of driving them. The 2wd slash is the most fun you can have when you learn to steer it with the throttle power sliding through turns. We had close racing with the stock tires too I don't understand why they all decided to change to 1/8 buggy tires.

I've also been racing 1/18 scale on-road for quite a few years. This is in a friends basement.

Fajita Dave screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 09:16 AM
Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #1229
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Can't go wrong getting a Traxxas for a beginner, they are tough as nails. My first one was a Radicator and it survived really stupid abuse. My latest Traxxas trucks are a Slash 4X4 and a Summit, love 'em both. Also have an HPI Blitz and on the track this thing fawking rocks. My son runs a BL system in it and it hauls when sorted out. My Slash is a VXl so it rips but I only bash with it. I've hit stuff at speed and haven't broken a thing yet. My only upgrade sofar is MIP shafts because the stock plastic ones were starting to twist from the torque of the Velineon BL motor.

Man I wish I had been able to get my woman hooked on RC instead of bikes. I'd have a lot more money for MY bikes!

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #1230
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Update on getting the GF into RC....

She gave me the ok to go ahead and get the Slash 4x4 that I found at the LHS. We charged that up (an agonizing 8 hours! Gah!) And we found a nice deserted alley for her to practice in. Put the ESC into Training mode and started her out nice and slow. She did really well I am happy to report.

And more importantly she loves it!! Even suggested we go to the local races on Sunday to watch. I am just amazed at this new found interest in a typically "man" hobby. Yup she's a keeper!

And I will try for pics the next time we are out

Yes a fast charger is on the to get list soon but amazingly enough we were getting well over an hour run times with the stock NiMh battery in training mode.

Stock photo of what I picked up for me

I should probably read to the end of a thread before posting...

Awesome truck, very tough and forgiving.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: