Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #1231
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Updated with pic of GF

No it's not her with the Slash but I figured the bike would be a close second for this group
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #1232
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Bonus pernts fer a redhead!
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #1233
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Wait til you uncork that thing, and set it up with a brushless setup, and a 3 cell LIPO... Talk about fast!!!
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #1234
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
Wait til you uncork that thing, and set it up with a brushless setup, and a 3 cell LIPO... Talk about fast!!!

Oh she's a handful already!!! Wait...you meant the Slash
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #1235
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,680
Wife said that I can have a new plane for fathers day....too many choices, and they are all over the board. From the big 1400mm FMS Zero to the new durafly pioneer, then there is the 1400 Sky Raider....dang that plane is so cool looking.

At the moment I am leaning to this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcPUtRjVOE
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #1236
Twawsi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I have been flying RC fairly solid for the past 13 years but started when I was 8. Now that was a few moons ago. For the past 3 years, I have moved into FPV or First Person View flying. This is where you have a camera mounted on your aircraft which transmits via video tx to you on the ground. On the ground, you pilot the aircraft as you observe through a set of goggles that are equipped with a video rx. There are various combinations of aircraft that are used. I use a few different types. Zephyr and ZII manufactured by Ritewing, I have a Multiplex Easy star which was my first FPV aircraft and still use it to give people "fly-a-longs" (I have a set of Passenger goggles) and I also fly a tricopter. All of my aircraft have OSD (on screen display) so at all times I know alt /speed /battery usage in mah /direction to home /amps and volts.
The distances are incredible. My RC TX uses UHF and I have flown a personal distance record of 8.54 kilometers. With the same equipment, others have flown up to 86 Kms away. Not bad eh? It does require a fair bit of knowledge of airspace and it's restrictions and the use of a spotter to warn of approaching full scale aircraft.
The rest of my LOS (line of sight) aircraft feel neglected becasue since starting FPV, I really dont fly them anymore. I have E-jets, 3D, helis. Maybe one day I'll set them up with FPV equipment and wring them out, heh heh.

Second flight with this airframe
https://vimeo.com/37685971

Personal Distance Record
https://vimeo.com/40654917

The world of RC has come a long way since I started some 36+ yrs ago.
2012 Bucci 150 Cross
Twawsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #1237
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,481
AMA just did an article on FPV. Really cool way to fly, but may have a seriously negative impact on our hobby because of people flying them where the should not. Last I knew, the FAA was still not finished with its proposal for rule making and the problems of careless FPV fliers is a big concern.

The biggest hazard it poses (other than to people should it crash) is to general aviation aircraft that are flying VFR and therefor are not in specific fly paths/patterns. FPV does not provide the situation awareness required when the bird is outside your line of sight.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/news/nycfpv.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twawsi View Post
I have been flying RC fairly solid for the past 13 years but started when I was 8. Now that was a few moons ago. For the past 3 years, I have moved into FPV or First Person View flying. This is where you have a camera mounted on your aircraft which transmits via video tx to you on the ground. On the ground, you pilot the aircraft as you observe through a set of goggles that are equipped with a video rx. There are various combinations of aircraft that are used. I use a few different types. Zephyr and ZII manufactured by Ritewing, I have a Multiplex Easy star which was my first FPV aircraft and still use it to give people "fly-a-longs" (I have a set of Passenger goggles) and I also fly a tricopter. All of my aircraft have OSD (on screen display) so at all times I know alt /speed /battery usage in mah /direction to home /amps and volts.
The distances are incredible. My RC TX uses UHF and I have flown a personal distance record of 8.54 kilometers. With the same equipment, others have flown up to 86 Kms away. Not bad eh? It does require a fair bit of knowledge of airspace and it's restrictions and the use of a spotter to warn of approaching full scale aircraft.
The rest of my LOS (line of sight) aircraft feel neglected becasue since starting FPV, I really dont fly them anymore. I have E-jets, 3D, helis. Maybe one day I'll set them up with FPV equipment and wring them out, heh heh.

Second flight with this airframe
https://vimeo.com/37685971

Personal Distance Record
https://vimeo.com/40654917

The world of RC has come a long way since I started some 36+ yrs ago.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #1238
Twawsi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Absolutley! I am very aware of AMA/FAA and their concerns for FPV. There is a lengthy thread over in FPVLAB dot com where we are banding together as a community to help create and impliment some realistic rules and policies when it comes to FPV. We have a lot of full scale/FPV pilotsl and they offer some fine education as well as ideas. We have a Law Student/FPV pilot that is about to take the bar and has actually spoken with, as well as corrected the FAA on their own policies. So, I do agree that there are inherent dangers/challenges with FPV. The main thing is that these pilots fly responsibly and promote the hobby, not cause issues by doing careless things.

One thing that I have observed is that most people that have been contacted by the FAA in regards to FPV flying in unsafe areas, were actaully found to be LOS aircraft that were flying with recording devices strapped on their aircraft, these were not FPV aircraft. I will admit that there are those that have posted real FPV vids that are questionable to say the least but the odd thing is that the FAA has only contacted one that we (FPVLAB) knows of.

Even though I serve overseas, I have to remain "in the know" when it comes to our policies back in the States because they will have an effect on me and my hobby as well as quite a few $$$.

Ciao
2012 Bucci 150 Cross
Twawsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #1239
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Ok should it go here or in WTF......I give you the cat copter

Guy built a heli out of his dead cat.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #1240
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,661
Great Planes has a micro ducted fan F-86. $140 at my LHS.

Pros:
F-86
Comes with a free AnyLink 2.4 module ($30 value)
Available now
$30 cheaper than soon-to-be-out E-Flite Mig-15. Will be same price once AnyLink deal is done and sold separately.
Uses rotary (not linear) servos

Cons:
Foam not as good as Z-Foam
Have to use AnyLink with my Spektrum DS7S
No steerable nosegear (Mig's is steerable)

Decisions, decisions...

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1771.html

DakarNick screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 09:04 AM
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #1241
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
I picked up a tackle box for my MERV stuff today. I had to hunt through 3 different stores to find a regular old box w/ 4 drawers. Seems everyone today wants removable self-contained storage drawers... but not me!

So I get this thing home, and I'll be damned if the MERV and radio don't fit PERFECTLY in the top storage area. The only thing I have to do to the MERV is remove the wing and the wheelie bar. All told, I can have the truck back together and ready to run in about a minute and 4 screws.

The first drawer has a compartment large enough to fit my Super Brain Palm charger and it's AC power adaptor, as well as slots for the charging adaptors and batteries.

I'm stoked... I'll have to post pictures later tonight.
nadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #1242
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Great Planes has a micro ducted fan F-86. $140 at my LHS.

Pros:
F-86
Comes with a free AnyLink 2.4 module ($30 value)
Available now
$30 cheaper than soon-to-be-out E-Flite Mig-15. Will be same price once AnyLink deal is done and sold separately.
Uses rotary (not linear) servos

Cons:
Foam not as good as Z-Foam
Have to use AnyLink with my Spektrum DS7S
No steerable nosegear (Mig's is steerable)

Decisions, decisions...

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1771.html
Have you seen the little EDF's at Banana hobby? Pretty nice planes, IIRC some are made by FMS and they do make some nice stuff. I have been on the fence on their F4...It has gotten pretty good reviews....they do have a small Sabre, if you have the gear already it is pretty darn cheap and the guys say that they do fly well.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1766.html

Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #1243
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
So, here's the pics of my new tackle box... I don't think I've ever been this excited about a hunk of plastic before.

... plus 2 more drawers that don't have anything in them, yet.

Had the truck out for a while tonight... that spur gear really needs to be replaced, but the MERV keeps on trucking... only slightly louder than normal.
nadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #1244
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Well my RC project for tonight was to convert an old PC power supply to give me a 12v source.

Have a cheap but by all accounts well reviewed B6 charger on the way for a measly 27 bucks shipped.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122733 Followed the instructions here and it worked flawlessly.

I got a power supply for $1 at a garage sale this weekend and with a 50cent resistor I had more power at my disposal than a $100 dollar hobby grade PS.

Excellent project for anyone charging batteries on DC.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #1245
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Have you seen the little EDF's at Banana hobby? Pretty nice planes, IIRC some are made by FMS and they do make some nice stuff. I have been on the fence on their F4...It has gotten pretty good reviews....they do have a small Sabre, if you have the gear already it is pretty darn cheap and the guys say that they do fly well.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1766.html

Thanks! Those are nice, too. That micro A-10 is my favorite but its out of stock!
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: