User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #1291
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,514
I picked up the Great Planes micro Sabre EDF. Have yet to maiden it but looks fun. I'll get a few pics up soon.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #1292
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76 View Post
I want to try one of these. Is floats a little much for a first time pilot?

Taking off and flying with floats isn't a big deal but landing is another story. You need to fly it to the water which usually is not an easy task for a new pilot.

If you bring it in to slow the floats drag the plane down and it noses into the water, if you land to fast it can bounce off the water and cause a stall or many other various ways to wreck an airplane. So you need to get the speed and the approach angle right or there's a good chance you'll have to go swimming for it. The best practice is to get a tail dragger (like a cub) and practice landing with that. When you can fly it to the ground and land on only the front landing gear than thats the same principal of landing on water with pontoons.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #1293
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,240
Sorry no photos but I am about half done with the HK SkyAngel Panther build....and let me tell you it is about as simple as it can get.

This is a very small jet, I will say that the nose looks a little fat for a panther, and the stickers are not the best, but I can live with it for ~$70. Looks like it will be a bit of time before I can fly...winds here in the 30mph plus range for the next week so the weather tramp says. We will see.

F4 looks very nice it will be #2 on the table.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #1294
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,844
Man I forgot how much sundry equipment goes into this hobby. The GF and I went out and ran at the semi-local track for fun the other day and it was pretty obvious that the suspension on our Slashes needed help. The very high center of gravity was killing us and we spent quite a bit of time on our lids.

So I got some Losi springs to try out and set about to do some tuning. I don't have my old RC tackle box any more, no dedicated allen wrenches that small, don't have my workspace set up for RC. Cleaning them up and changing out shock springs took way too long and I'm keeping extra pinions and springs in a plastic bag. That is sooooo not right.

On the other hand tho the GF is very happy with her Slash. The new Baja Bug body should get delivered today finally and then we can set about to painting it however she wants to.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #1295
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Man I forgot how much sundry equipment goes into this hobby. The GF and I went out and ran at the semi-local track for fun the other day and it was pretty obvious that the suspension on our Slashes needed help. The very high center of gravity was killing us and we spent quite a bit of time on our lids.

So I got some Losi springs to try out and set about to do some tuning. I don't have my old RC tackle box any more, no dedicated allen wrenches that small, don't have my workspace set up for RC. Cleaning them up and changing out shock springs took way too long and I'm keeping extra pinions and springs in a plastic bag. That is sooooo not right.

On the other hand tho the GF is very happy with her Slash. The new Baja Bug body should get delivered today finally and then we can set about to painting it however she wants to.
I need to tame mine down, as well, as it's a handfull with the lipo/brushless setup.
Check out this video:
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #1296
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post

Not sure your slash rules...but some places say stock....and they MEAN STOCK. Then they have advanced slash, and then short course truck advanced.

I went and watched a race weekend before last....thought a great deal about it...but I forght how long it takes....they started at 11am and we were there at 6pm...they still had another round to go.

Not going to give an entire saturday to it.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #1297
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 466
Speaking of the Slash.... The ESC in my Slash 4x4 died. Can any of you car experts recommend a good non-Traxxas replacement? On the Traxxas web site they want $220 for the stock one.

Yeah, I don't think so.

I can get one on ebay for about $100, but there must be other options. And I don't care if it's waterproof, I don't go running the truck through puddles or hosing it off when I'm done.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #1298
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saget View Post
Speaking of the Slash.... The ESC in my Slash 4x4 died. Can any of you car experts recommend a good non-Traxxas replacement? On the Traxxas web site they want $220 for the stock one.

Yeah, I don't think so.

I can get one on ebay for about $100, but there must be other options. And I don't care if it's waterproof, I don't go running the truck through puddles or hosing it off when I'm done.
Is yours brushed, or brushless?
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #1299
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Yeah, I don't think so.

If you race in a stock slash class you are stuck.

If you are brushless I have had good luck with the HK stuff....under $50 all day long.

If you are still brushed I have never tried one....I still have quite a bit of brushed cars but all the esc's I use are OLD stuff....don't know what I will do when it dies.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #1300
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,211
I'm kinda tossing around the idea of getting into r/c racing. I have a couple of cars now, and it's been a blast tinkering with them.

I was looking at either the Associated SC10e or the SC8e, or the Losi XXX-SCT. Any other suggestions for a starter truck that won't break the bank?

I have a Traxxas E-Revo VXL and a Slash. But I think the Slash will just take too much money to get it resonably competitive. It's a good basher, but I don't think it's a terribly good starting point for a racer unless you want to rebuilt it from the ground up. It's entirely possible that I'm totally wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #1301
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 466
It's a completely stock Slash 4x4, just like this one: http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...c/6808slash4x4

Brushless motor & ESC. In fact, I just bought a brand new stock motor for it. Ran about 5 laps and the ESC died. Pissed me right off.

Not worried about "Stock" racing class. I don't do any organized racing, just bashing around with friends.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #1302
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,464
Quote:
It's a completely stock Slash 4x4, just like this one: http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...c/6808slash4x4

Brushless motor & ESC. In fact, I just bought a brand new stock motor for it. Ran about 5 laps and the ESC died. Pissed me right off.

Not worried about "Stock" racing class. I don't do any organized racing, just bashing around with friends.
Call Traxxas and see if they will help you out.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #1303
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru View Post
I'm kinda tossing around the idea of getting into r/c racing. I have a couple of cars now, and it's been a blast tinkering with them.

I was looking at either the Associated SC10e or the SC8e, or the Losi XXX-SCT. Any other suggestions for a starter truck that won't break the bank?

I have a Traxxas E-Revo VXL and a Slash. But I think the Slash will just take too much money to get it resonably competitive. It's a good basher, but I don't think it's a terribly good starting point for a racer unless you want to rebuilt it from the ground up. It's entirely possible that I'm totally wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.
Between the Associated, Losi and HPI you are splitting hairs. Proper setup will be the most important thing. That said, my preference is HPI, Losi and Associated. My son's HPI Blitz is a nice machine and it responds well to tuning. The driveline is almost silent, I tend to equate that with higher efficiency.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #1304
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,464
Quote:

What are most of the guys racing and what can you get parts for locally? Kyosho makes a nice truck but the shop I work at doesnt carry and wont order parts. And this weekend everything is 15% off. Hobby1.com.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #1305
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

If you already own the slash and that intrests you and if where you race has a stock slash class that is the most inexpensive way to go.....now if you have modded your truck to the moon....that will not work so well.

I ran stock slash a few times and it is quite a bit of fun....the place I raced at had an beginner and expert slash, so that helped with some of the new people just killing you. It is a real fun truck to run if you are running against the same thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: