Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Barnstorm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Eek Professional Shipper, Trailering My Bike on CENTER STAND.

A bike I purchased is being shipped to me through a UShip shipper.

I noticed on the photo he sent me that the bike was tied down and on the center stand.

I have always NOT used a center stand as I have been told by my vintage friends (pun intended) that this is a NO NO, as to frame damage.

Bikes should allow the suspension to do it's job when trailering.

Below is the response I got back from the shipper.

I assume he thinks he is more likely to get in trouble with customers over fork seals leaking than them noticing center stand frame tabs bent?

Can anyone point me to some Manufacturer guidelines about trailering recommending NOT using a center stand that I can provide for this company?

On the other hand, if I am completely wrong about this, please educate me.

Shipper response:

"Hi Timothy ,yes central stand is down but my best friend is owner of Harley Davidson dealership and 2 years ago I have conversation with him about this .he tell me to bike with metal(not aluminum) frame and kick stand is better to use this stand bcs constant pressure on fork can cose damage on them and metal frame and stand can't be damaged .i haul exactly 428 bikes in last 2 year and I never have any problem and I never damage any bike.If you prefer to I bring bike to its not on stand I will do this but pls be aware if fork stark to leak and have any damage I will not be responsible .I hear many opinion and I think to this is right how I strap but if you want to I strap him in your way I will do this for you.Thanks"

Side note: None of the Harley's I have ever owned had center stands...
Barnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,957
Is this shipper from Nigeria?

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Is this shipper from Nigeria?
I was thinking the same thing, I kept waiting for winning the lottery.

I don't see a huge issue with shipping on the center stand, it is designed to take the weight of the bike; as long as he does not strap it down do tight that it bends the frame on both sides of the stand....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 412
I would let the forks do their job...
henshao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstorm View Post
"Hi Timothy ,yes central stand is down but my best friend is owner of Harley Davidson dealership and 2 years ago I have conversation with him about this .he tell me to bike with metal(not aluminum) frame and kick stand is better to use this stand bcs constant pressure on fork can cose damage on them and metal frame and stand can't be damaged .i haul exactly 428 bikes in last 2 year and I never have any problem and I never damage any bike.If you prefer to I bring bike to its not on stand I will do this but pls be aware if fork stark to leak and have any damage I will not be responsible .I hear many opinion and I think to this is right how I strap but if you want to I strap him in your way I will do this for you.Thanks"

1. This person is an adult in possession of a driver's license ? I weep for our nation.

2. Is aluminum NOT metal ?

3. Constant pressure on the forks is detrimental ? Like when it's on its' wheels and gravity is in effect ?

4. Please provide photo of any Harley Davidson on a center stand.

5. Please return to your elementary school and ask for your money back.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,842
side stand cant be damaged? Hope he doesnt haul a lot of Ducatis....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
Personally I don't haul on the center stand but I can't see it being a huge issue. I prefer to let the suspension do it's thing, but I really don't see it being damaging unless he was ratcheting down on all 4 corners to the point of a strap breaking.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Personally I don't haul on the center stand but I can't see it being a huge issue. I prefer to let the suspension do it's thing, but I really don't see it being damaging unless he was ratcheting down on all 4 corners to the point of a strap breaking.

I agree 100%.

If he had it strapped down on the side stand I would be concerned but not the center stand.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,133
Why do you need more evidence, the shipper told you he'd ship it how you want and that he won't be responsible for leaky seals
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
I'm not quite picturing this. When on the centerstand, isn't the front wheel on the ground and forks will compressed anyway?
ReCycled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Barnstorm OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Why do you need more evidence, the shipper told you he'd ship it how you want and that he won't be responsible for leaky seals
If he has never chocked down a motorcycle before I don't want him learning with mine. If he as 200+ deliveries that were ok, I am going to gamble that my best bet is to let him do what he is used to.

However, as stated in my originating post, for all of my motorcycling life (30 years) this (trailer on center stand) has been recommended against.

So the evidence I am looking for is some real documentation or other evidence that he is correct and I am wrong, vise versa or nil.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
Barnstorm OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCycled View Post
I'm not quite picturing this. When on the centerstand, isn't the front wheel on the ground and forks will compressed anyway?
Most bikes will rest on the rear wheels on the center stand.

So there should be SOME suspension at play but I know many bikes (vespas and lambrettas come to mind) that simply sitting on the bike on the center stand will eventually cause damage. Some vintage BMWs are notorious for having weak centerstand frame tangs.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Run away!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,133
Quote:
If he has never chocked down a motorcycle before I don't want him learning with mine. If he as 200+ deliveries that were ok, I am going to gamble that my best bet is to let him do what he is used to.

However, as stated in my originating post, for all of my motorcycling life (30 years) this (trailer on center stand) has been recommended against.

So the evidence I am looking for is some real documentation or other evidence that he is correct and I am wrong, vise versa or nil.

Gotcha, you want to make sure you're right before assuming liability. Good call.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 3,895
Quote:
Most bikes will rest on the rear wheels on the center stand.

So there should be SOME suspension at play but I know many bikes (vespas and lambrettas come to mind) that simply sitting on the bike on the center stand will eventually cause damage. Some vintage BMWs are notorious for having weak centerstand frame tangs.
I don't have a statistically valid sample, but no bike I've owned tended to be tail down when on the center stand. They all rested with he front wheel down and the rear wheel in the air.