User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM   #1
LudemJo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Conspicuity

Contemplating some artwork on my bike using 3M retro-reflective tape to increase my "be seen" quotient. I have also been looking at the photon blaster lighting system.

What have you done to increase your ability to be seen? Pictures would be outstanding! Anyone have the photon blaster/P3 system mounted on their bike? Impressions?

Thanks a million!

John
LudemJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM   #2
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I have Motolights on the front, Hyper lights brake lights on rear, and just bought a hi-vis jacket this weekend. Oh and reflective ADV stickers on front and rear of the bike and on my helmet.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM   #3
deadzed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Helmet

Hi-Viz helmet has made a big difference for me. I commute daily in Washington DC traffic (ie: some of the worst in the country) & I've noticed a marked difference in the number of people who try to change lanes over top of me.

I also prop the helmet on top of my mirror when parked to reduce the likelihood of someone backing into my bike. It's high enough to still be visible from the back window of a pickup truck.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence
deadzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM   #4
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Some driving lights (LED, etc) a great idea, but tip them down slightly, so that they do not blind an oncoming car-- if they can't see your turn signals cause your driving lights are tuned too high, your kind of defeating the purpose.

Just my experience, I will do it again the same way. My beams met the road at night in a great spot, and gave me plenty of forward and side (ditch) coverage, yet the downward, slight tip never caused an oncoming car to "flash" me.

It was the desired goal I had in mind in the first place.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM   #5
wecsoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Got rolls of 3M (the real stuff, not cheap import) 1" and 2" tape for back of Pelican panniers, along with the ADV stickers, 'natch.

On the black Shoei helmet, I put several strips of the 1" tape also.

Interesting comment on the hi-vis helmet. I have an HJC one and have gotten multiple comments on it, plus I've seen the reaction of several drivers. Is that because as humans we automatically look at heads and faces?

Oh yeah, got a highway worker hi-viz vest that also has multiple strips of the scotchlite reflective tape on it. Vest always goes on in darkness or anywhere near sunrise/sunset.
wecsoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #6
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
I do not have a high-viz jacket, but I do have an "alien vomit green" helmet. That puts the high-viz up high where it can be seen..... and I don't have to look at it myself.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #7
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
White helmet, hi viz jacket, reflective tape on the topbox.

People shouldn't also forget that there are a lot of riding techniques that increase conspicuity; lane positioning, staying out of people's blind spots, light swerving (to add lateral movement) when you feel it's needed, etc.
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #8
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
Motion.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #9
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,896
I haven't had a close call since buying and wearing a Hi Viz jacket. I am so impressed I now have a Hi Viz winter and another Hi Viz summer jacket.
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote