Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #1486
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
I believe that passing someone on a double yellow (Where acceleration and straight line speed exceed those that the safe passing distance was designed for) is not the same as needing to cross the double yellow because you do not have the necessary skills to go around a corner and maintain your lane
The question wasn't about needing to, it was about deciding to, just like deciding to pass on a double yellow, or going above the speed limit. A decision made when the sight lines, and situation says it's safe.

It's OK for Mr. Moving Pictures to do it when he feels it's prudent, and apparently you feel the same as well, but if someone else should decide to break a law why

Quote:
...you're a self-centred git who has no sense of the law
Double standards are fun.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #1487
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Boon Booni: "The question wasn't about needing to, it was about deciding to, just like deciding to pass on a double yellow, or going above the speed limit. A decision made when the sight lines, and situation says it's safe."

The problem with this is that "when its safe" is easily misjudged. My closest miss last year was some asshat on a sportbike who went hot into a blind corner and ended up deep in my lane. I started wide so I was able to miss him, but not by a lot. If the sight line is truly safe and you have no affect on anyone else, I really dont care if you are over the line. I dont agree with this philosophy on principle because I dont think most riders are that great a judge of what is safe and more importantly what is not going to endanger someone else. Of coarse I am willing to cross the center to avoid hazards or to pass but I am willing to wait to execute a clear, safe pass even if it temporarily slows me down a little.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #1488
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
Of coarse I am willing to cross the center to avoid hazards or to pass but I am willing to wait to execute a clear, safe pass even if it temporarily slows me down a little.
I certainly hope so.

Reasonable and Prudent is the name of the game.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #1489
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
This thread is now changing to a debate on car tires? Don't knock it till you have tried it!
And how many come from the factory like that?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #1490
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Running a flat surfaced car tire on a vehicle that leans to turn goes against any and all logic and is JUST PLAIN STUPID!!!

But hey… It’s a free country do as you wish… Just don’t lie about how great it is because it is NOT great for or anything except longer tire life.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #1491
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
The question wasn't about needing to, it was about deciding to, just like deciding to pass on a double yellow, or going above the speed limit. A decision made when the sight lines, and situation says it's safe.It's OK for Mr. Moving Pictures to do it when he feels it's prudent, and apparently you feel the same as well, but if someone else should decide to break a law why Double standards are fun.
No Double Standard here. Tell me when it is necessary to cross the double solid line? I have done it to pass other vehicles like yesterday when a tractor and manure spreader was traveling on the main highway, leaving S%$t all over the road and doing 15 mph in a 55 zone. I know the road and also know I could "PASS" and be back in my lane without interfering with any other traffic.

Now if you are traveling and there is no other vehicles why would you need to cross the double solid Line? You are crossing in a CORNER, when there is NO Other traffic (According to you) So whats the Need? If someone crosses the double yellow in a corner with no other reason than they "WANT" to that tells me they DO NOT have the skills necessary to make the corner and that also tells me they are not a very good rider.

No Double standard. Your bike it maybe 30" wide, your lane is 12' wide, and you are telling me you cannot make a corner in your lane. If the fun of riding is the corners, hence the draw of the dragon and other such roads, whats the purpose of making the corners straight by crossing the lines?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #1492
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Three wheelers may feel safe and easy to ride in the dealers lot, problem is when a new rider finally discovers they actually require more skill and knowledge to ride than a two wheeler, it may be to late.

I wonder how many people buy a three wheeler with the thought that they are easier to ride than a two wheeler. Accidents waiting to happen. Combine that with the fact that many of them are home made and the thought is truly frightening.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #1493
grandpa_ken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Why go to a curvy road and try to straighten the corners? Go to the race track if that's how you want to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #1494
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
No Double Standard here. Tell me when it is necessary to cross the double solid line? I have done it to pass other vehicles like yesterday when a tractor and manure spreader was traveling on the main highway, leaving S%$t all over the road and doing 15 mph in a 55 zone. I know the road and also know I could "PASS" and be back in my lane without interfering with any other traffic.

Now if you are traveling and there is no other vehicles why would you need to cross the double solid Line? You are crossing in a CORNER, when there is NO Other traffic (According to you) So whats the Need? If someone crosses the double yellow in a corner with no other reason than they "WANT" to that tells me they DO NOT have the skills necessary to make the corner and that also tells me they are not a very good rider.

No Double standard. Your bike it maybe 30" wide, your lane is 12' wide, and you are telling me you cannot make a corner in your lane. If the fun of riding is the corners, hence the draw of the dragon and other such roads, whats the purpose of making the corners straight by crossing the lines?
I don't think anybody has said it better than this. Sometimes it is perfectly reasonable.

Doing it as habit to "maintain pace", or even worse, expecting others to help them do it................................................ ........................
Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #1495
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,986
Quote:
No Double Standard here. Tell me when it is necessary to cross the double solid line? I have done it to pass other vehicles..
You have done it to pass other vehicles that were going the at or near legal speed limit as well. Where was the need? Where was the need to speed, or the need to pass a vehicle going at or just below the legal speed limit?

You don't "need" to speed, nor do you "need" to pass other vehicles on a double yellow that are going at or just below the legal speed limit.

Tell me when it is necessary to do this?

You do it because you want to go faster than the speed limit, and you do it because you don't want to wait for a passing zone that probably doesn't exist. You do it because you feel secure in your abilities to look far enough ahead to see and react to oncoming traffic and road hazards that passing into the other lane and speeding would present as dangers.

I will apex in the oncoming lane when I want to and the sight lines allow me to feel secure in my ability to see far enough ahead that road hazards and oncoming traffic are not an immediate threat. I will also pass on the double yellow and speed, because I want to and just like you I trust my ability to handle those situations.

If you feel like it is over your abilities to look ahead, read the road and hazards and anticipate, please stop riding and buy a Kia.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #1496
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,945
Why does a baseball player not run in perfectly sraight lines when running the bases, because by going a little wider he gets a better angle at the apex to get to the next base . Its faster ,its smoother and easier on the body also. Same principle, different scenario on a bike. I wouldn't make a habit of doing it but to hear some of the vitriol being spewed by the PERFECT RIDERS on here is humorous when they know damn well they've done it also.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #1497
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
If you feel like it is over your abilities to look ahead, read the road and hazards and anticipate, please stop riding and buy a Kia.
Which Kia?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #1498
Savoir-Faire