Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #151
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB
I've been going there for decades. We used to go up several times a year back when the speed limit was 55mph and there was no one on the road. Over the years as the speed limit has dropped, the level of nitwits on every kind of bike has risen, and the attention from the law has gotten stupid, I've gone less and less. And only on the weekdays. Weekends are exponentially more stupid, on everyone's part.

It's become a legend, and that legendary status has all but ruined it. There are many more roads up there that are just as good, and far less populated. There's really no reason to ride the Dragon anymore except to say you've done it.

And to all those that say it's the fault of the idiot Harley riders, the self righteous BMW pricks, the stupid sportbike squids, or the hordes of Goldwing riders, you're all right. The area's legendary status now attracts the worst of every group. To blame it on one is ridiculous, it's motorcyclists that have ruined that road. I could go up there with a camera and get pictures of idiots on any kind of bike, and it wouldn't take long.

Az

All true, and now they sell BEER at the store there.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #152
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
Yet another thread illustrating why I have no desire to "ride The Dragon"...

Jeebus H. Christie!!!
I rode it (again) on the very day that the pic that started this thread was taken. It is a great freakin' road. And traffic that day was relatively light for a weekend day.

There are only a couple of side roads to contend with (and they are usually gated), and there are no driveways. It's a beautiful motorcycling road -- among the best of the best -- that has become a victim of just how great a ride it is. Yeah, there are often a lot of low-skill riders who go to ride it once and get the t-shirt, but there are times, when you have it mostly to yourself, that it can be motorcycling nirvana.

If you haven't ridden it, you are missing something.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #153
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
OMG call Carrie Nation to bring her bible and her hatchet!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I bet the beer-selling makes the local Quakers and Presbyterians shaking mad...

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #154
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,825
Quote:
Yeah, I saw that when I was up there on Easter.

(Hiya, flux! )

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #155
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,807
Quote:

Just gotta get the weaving in tune with the rythym of the road and your all set.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #156
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,062
The lines are not painted as a suggestion - just sayin'

As far as getting distracted goes - If you're ridding the Dragon you should try to remain focused. Save the distraction for the slab...
Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #157
lambdadork
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Wow, I'm new to he forum but have been riding for some 25 odd years including a few of 'm as a courier. Made plenty of mistakes, survived, learned, lived to make different mistakes. What really scares me is all the guys out here ready to judge. I don't believe for one moment you never make mistakes, are you just to thick to realize them? then how do you learn?
Besides, is it really an adventure if you never find yourself exhausted, doing stupid things, looking for a place to safely stop?
And no, its not me, I cant afford a BMW..
lambdadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #158
blammo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdadork
… What really scares me is all the guys out here ready to judge…
Why should that scare you? A little embarrassment or criticism by a bunch of anonymous guys on the internet doesn't hurt. Hopefully the ensuing dialogue causes a few people to think as they roll into that next blind turn…and keep 'er between the lines. Obviously nothing's as black & white as it seems, the guy made a mistake (as we all do), this one got caught on camera, and he's taking his shots for it. I'd hardly call the guy a poser, riding from Vermont at least to NC is a bigger trip than most motorcycle owners will ever take. (Dare I say, the ADVrider sample is a little skewed in this regard)

I recall a year or so ago, a picture of some guy in a Miata or Solstice crossing the double yellow around a blind corner made the rounds on the 'net. Everyone tore him a new one, and he eventually showed up and made his apologies, for what that was worth. Everyone got on with their lives & hopefully has a little extra motivation to never be "that guy". Like it or not, the guy had a lapse of concentration at a very conspicuous place to do so. And here we are.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #159
lambdadork
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by blammo
Why should that scare you? A little embarrassment or criticism by a bunch of anonymous guys on the internet doesn't hurt.
Embarrassment doesn't scare me, people who think their infallible do, they usually lack the ability to correct their own behavior..
lambdadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #160
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by blammo
Why should that scare you? A little embarrassment or criticism by a bunch of anonymous guys on the internet doesn't hurt. Hopefully the ensuing dialogue causes a few people to think as they roll into that next blind turn…and keep 'er between the lines. Obviously nothing's as black & white as it seems, the guy made a mistake (as we all do), this one got caught on camera, and he's taking his shots for it. I'd hardly call the guy a poser, riding from Vermont at least to NC is a bigger trip than most motorcycle owners will ever take. (Dare I say, the ADVrider sample is a little skewed in this regard)

I recall a year or so ago, a picture of some guy in a Miata or Solstice crossing the double yellow around a blind corner made the rounds on the 'net. Everyone tore him a new one, and he eventually showed up and made his apologies, for what that was worth. Everyone got on with their lives & hopefully has a little extra motivation to never be "that guy". Like it or not, the guy had a lapse of concentration at a very conspicuous place to do so. And here we are.
Good post Blammo
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #161
blammo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Embarrassment doesn't scare me, people who think their infallible do, they usually lack the ability to correct their own behavior..
I know what you're saying, but The Perfect Line" has never been much of a "feel good, back-patting" kind of forum, from my observations. It's more like a "I screwed up, what should I do differently next time" kind of place, with an emphasis on personal responsibility, regardless of who's "fault" it is.

I just accept that if I post a story about a near miss (or "near hit" as it were) or a photo of my cornering technique, someone's gonna step up and tell me I did it wrong & how THEY would have done things better. And y'know, that's ok. Ultimately it's me & the bike, vs. everyone else out there, and some really helpful tidbits of advice have stuck in my craw when I'm in the heat of battle, duking it out with the cagers & the corners.

Boy, you can really tell I'm blowing off work today, i've posted more in a couple hours than I have in the last few years.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #162
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Excuses and more excuses

Quote:
I don't believe for one moment you never make mistakes, are you just to thick to realize them?
I'm not so thick that I wouldn't notice I've crossed 2 big YELLOW painted lines, much less the vehicle I just pushed over out of HIS lane whizzing by me a mere inches away.

Kind of hard to miss that.

Let's see?

Nope, never had that happen in 35 years of riding -but to be honest the first 10 or so of them were on dirt so I had a freaking clue how to control a motorcycle enough NOT to cross the friggin' double yellow into oncoming traffic before I ever got on the tarmac. That might be the difference here.

Mistake?

Sorry. Missing a shift, or getting a wobble is a "mistake" -deciding to make a REALLLY DAMN early apex that will take me across the centerline to the INSIDE of a corner(fer chrissakes) is not a mistake -it's a serious lapse in judgment. It was a bad decision and could have been a last bad decision. If the person in the pic keeps doing it then it will eventually catch up with him (and probably the poor fugger he hits head-on too).

Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #163
AdvRydr
De asini vmbra disceptare

Oddometer: 3,236
Whew, imagine cutting that same corner with this coming at you from the other side:

Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #164
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRydr
Whew, imagine cutting that same corner with this coming at you from the other side:

Imagine fast...

/splat!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #165
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
You guys are a bunch of meanies.
So it is you.

Az

Got me.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote