Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #16606
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
I would really like to know HOW a motorcycle is being passed by a truck.
The day I get passed by a semi truck while I am riding a fully functioning motorcycle on a bright sunny day is the day I hang up my keys and check out.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #16607
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,262
Quote:
I would really like to know HOW a motorcycle is being passed by a truck...
Ever ridden a Ural?

Seriously though, I know exactly how this could have happened. The motorcyclist could have been doing the speed limit. Sounds crazy, but I stick to the speed limits all the time, and routinely get passed by trucks. I don't like it, but I also don't like speeding tickets.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #16608
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
My bike's tires are softer than my car's tires. Population sample = 1.
Tourances on bike, Ecsta MXs on car. Car tyres are waaaaaaaaaay softer. Population sample = 1.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #16609
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,123
everyone lived to see another day and Dr Twatwaffle fucked up his car and delayed his high speed trek some..funny as fuck to me!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #16610
D R
----

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Anyone know how fast he was actually going? Not as fast as everyone thinks, thats my guess.
But what is really funny is how no one said anything about the truck UP THE MOTORCYCLES ASS! He was tailgating them so close I am surprised he didnt hit them.
but when bikes are doing triple digits everyone say how cool it is....

His speed works out to around 75 mph.

The length of each white line is 10 feet and the following gap in the lines is 30 feet. So the distance from the beginning of one white line to the beginning of the next white line is 40 feet. I started counting lines when I started the video. When I reach 30 lines, I stopped the video and the time elapsed was approximately 11 seconds. The speed worked out to 109 feet per second which converts to approximately 75 mph.

Given that on-line videos are not normally highly calibrated scientific instruments, there is a margin of error on my estimation, but 75 mph is a good ballpark figure. While we don't know what the posted speed limit may have been, the car was definately faster than the other traffic.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #16611
Big Red
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
No way! SciFi Geeks don't ride motorcycles!

Jim
...I do :P
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #16612
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
What, you got sumpthin better to do? Relace your bowling shoes? Watch paint dry?
Been studying the dewey decimal system. I hear it's making a comeback.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #16613
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Been studying the dewey decimal system. I hear it's making a comeback.
/sarcasm What is that? Some sort of rain measuring system? /end sarcasm

Back to the photos!

ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #16614
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaethDekar View Post
/sarcasm What is that? Some sort of rain measuring system? /end sarcasm

Back to the photos!

Winning all day long!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #16615
STUFF2C
Banned

Oddometer: 2,693
And my wifes asks me wtf i'm doing on here... now i can tell her! gett'n a edjumakashun

Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post

The length of each white line is 10 feet and the following gap in the lines is 30 feet. So the distance from the beginning of one white line to the beginning of the next white line is 40 feet. I started counting lines when I started the video. When I reach 30 lines, I stopped the video and the time elapsed was approximately 11 seconds. The speed worked out to 109 feet per second which converts to approximately 75 mph.

Given that on-line videos are not normally highly calibrated scientific instruments, there is a margin of error on my estimation, but 75 mph is a good ballpark figure. While we don't know what the posted speed limit may have been, the car was definately faster than the other traffic.

STUFF2C screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 07:52 AM
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #16616
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post

One problem. What are the line distances in the country they are driving in? They ain't in Kansas, there Toto.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #16617
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Tourances on bike, Ecsta MXs on car. Car tyres are waaaaaaaaaay softer. Population sample = 1.
Goodyear Eagle GT on the 350Z, Michelin Pilot Power 2CT on the Husky. Bike tires are softer in my case...
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #16618
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
I think it was all the speeding car driver's fault. Why blame the trucker? Who is to say the bike was not running 10mph under the limit and after following for awhile the truck decided to pass. His mirrors were clear because the ass in the car was way back. The car had plenty of time to slow down but decided not to lift or brake and just go around the right side. Bad move, it turns out. Clearly driving beyond his ability.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #16619
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,443
Perfect example of why passing on the right is so dangerous. Lack of understanding of lane usage is probably the biggest threat, besides cell phones, we have as riders. As much as I would like to see higher speed limits here in the states, it would really be a disaster overall. The only reason it works in europe is because they understand lane usage and they have real driver training and they take vehicle inspections seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Ignorant fuck. Never wondered WHY the truck changed lanes. Too bad he didn't roll it over 6 or 7 times.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #16620
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Perfect example of why passing on the right is so dangerous.
Can't really say I agree with this opinion. The fact that the car was passing on the right didn't really contribute all that much to the outcome IMHO. It had more to do with the fact that when the truck moved left, the car didn't have enough time to see what was on the right because he decided to continue at the same rate of speed instead of slowing down to find out what the truck might have been obscuring. Same thing could have happened if the lane positions were reversed.

Not saying passing on the right is OK, but I don't think this is an example of why it's not OK. It's more an example of why driving a lot faster (car) or slower (motorcycle) than the flow of traffic, and making quick lane changes (truck and car) are bad ideas. As with a lot of crashes, there isn't just one party at fault.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote