Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #16621
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Perfect example of why passing on the right is so dangerous.
Can't really say I agree with this opinion. The fact that the car was passing on the right didn't really contribute all that much to the outcome IMHO. It had more to do with the fact that when the truck moved left, the car didn't have enough time to see what was on the right because he decided to continue at the same rate of speed instead of slowing down to find out what the truck might have been obscuring. Same thing could have happened if the lane positions were reversed.

Not saying passing on the right is OK, but I don't think this is an example of why it's not OK. It's more an example of why driving a lot faster (car) or slower (motorcycle) than the flow of traffic, and making quick lane changes (truck and car) are bad ideas. As with a lot of crashes, there isn't just one party at fault.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #16622
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
No it wasnt the truck drivers fault, it was the idiot trying to play senna or fittipaldi in his shitbox. No way that truck driver could have guessed the black car just zoomed way over the speed limit. Plus truck passing a bike, legal, truck moving to the left lane, legal. Its intersting how fast something will appear in the mirror two black cars, one zooming from behind the other one can be hard to notice. When I was driving in germany, I was doing 150kph and someone comes shooting along at 250+kph, its really is sudden when he appears in the mirrors.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #16623
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
So anyway....I was down at the Dragon on Friday last and I am amazed at the riders/drivers who do you the courtesy of waving you past but it always seems to be in the most unsafe and inappropriate spots,why can't they wave you past on a semi straightaway or a corner that has at least some sort of sight line through it?

I was following a fella on the Skyway and I kept running up his azz in the corners and he finally waved me by but it was always on a corner and then he would throttle it on the few straights so I couldn't pass him without putting on the afterburners only to have to honk on the binders bigtime before the next corner.

I just wasn't comfortable trying to scrub off that much speed before having to stuff' 'er in.

I also like the guys when you are coming around the corner on the dragon, and they aren't looking ahead and suddenly thier eyes come up, see you, and you see thier front end do the big" whoops I am over the yellow line" front end jerk as they try to muscle the bike back over.

Or the guys who ride the yellow line on every corner. Doesn't the lack of grip on the painted surface un-nerve them? don't they feel the change in traction riding the surface through the corner? Or lack thereof? I really back off when I see that,,
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #16624
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
I didn't find my pics on Killboy maybe I was to lame to photograph!!!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #16625
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
to fast... that happended to me too.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #16626
shovelstrokeed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
So anyway....I was down at the Dragon on Friday last and I am amazed at the riders/drivers who do you the courtesy of waving you past but it always seems to be in the most unsafe and inappropriate spots,why can't they wave you past on a semi straightaway or a corner that has at least some sort of sight line through it?

I was following a fella on the Skyway and I kept running up his azz in the corners and he finally waved me by but it was always on a corner and then he would throttle it on the few straights so I couldn't pass him without putting on the afterburners only to have to honk on the binders bigtime before the next corner.

I just wasn't comfortable trying to scrub off that much speed before having to stuff' 'er in.

I also like the guys when you are coming around the corner on the dragon, and they aren't looking ahead and suddenly thier eyes come up, see you, and you see thier front end do the big" whoops I am over the yellow line" front end jerk as they try to muscle the bike back over.

Or the guys who ride the yellow line on every corner. Doesn't the lack of grip on the painted surface un-nerve them? don't they feel the change in traction riding the surface through the corner? Or lack thereof? I really back off when I see that,,
I don't mind passing or being passed in a corner. If I'm the slower guy (quite frequently the case), raise left arm, go to the fog line on lefts or hug the center on right, back off a bit more and let the faster guys on by. Invariably, they know what I'm doing and I get a nice little wave or foot as a thanks. If I'm faster, I expect but don't demand the same. I'll find a way around. Piss me off and you get stuffed on the entrance of a later corner. If they are slow, I can usually out brake them and pass inside or go around the outside, I really don't care.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #16627
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
I think we've seen enough evidence in this very thread showing that there is no lameness limit to getting photographed.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #16628
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
The one thing I might give you here is that the truck may have used questionable judgement by waiting until he was fairly close to the bike before passing him on the left, but how can you argue that the car passing the truck on the right didn't contribute much to the outcome if the situation wouldn't have happened at all if the car hadn't passed the truck on the right? The bottom line is that if the car wasn't traveling well beyond the rate of traffic and attempted to pass the truck on the right, this would have never happened. Driving in europe one isn't supposed to be in the left lane unless passing, and it's perfectly acceptable behavior to wait until you're right on the slower traffic before passing on the left. There's no point in having a passing lane if people are going to drive in it a half-mile before they need to pass slower traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky View Post
Can't really say I agree with this opinion. The fact that the car was passing on the right didn't really contribute all that much to the outcome IMHO. It had more to do with the fact that when the truck moved left, the car didn't have enough time to see what was on the right because he decided to continue at the same rate of speed instead of slowing down to find out what the truck might have been obscuring. Same thing could have happened if the lane positions were reversed.

Not saying passing on the right is OK, but I don't think this is an example of why it's not OK. It's more an example of why driving a lot faster (car) or slower (motorcycle) than the flow of traffic, and making quick lane changes (truck and car) are bad ideas. As with a lot of crashes, there isn't just one party at fault.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #16629
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
Exactly! WTF did the car driver think the truck was changing lanes for?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #16630
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
80 - 120 - 150 - 220 then 320.
Tomorrow - Wood Bleach.
Next stain followed by Spar high gloss - wet 400 - Spar high gloss - wet 400 - Spar high gloss - wet 600 - Spar high gloss.
Or...skip all that and go with boiled tung oil.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #16631
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelstrokeed View Post
I don't mind passing or being passed in a corner. If I'm the slower guy (quite frequently the case), raise left arm, go to the fog line on lefts or hug the center on right, back off a bit more and let the faster guys on by. Invariably, they know what I'm doing and I get a nice little wave or foot as a thanks. If I'm faster, I expect but don't demand the same. I'll find a way around. Piss me off and you get stuffed on the entrance of a later corner. If they are slow, I can usually out brake them and pass inside or go around the outside, I really don't care.
+1

I get passed by faster riders about as often as I pass slower riders. It's about 50-50 with me. And I do the same thing when being passed: slow down, move to the far right, give 'em a wave around me when I think it's safe. I usually get a wave for thanks.

As far as passing slower riders, I don't expect anything from the guy/gal in front of me. I'll choose my time and spot and go around. No assistance necessary.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #16632
D R
----

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwanderer View Post
One problem. What are the line distances in the country they are driving in? They ain't in Kansas, there Toto.
Well then Dorthy, find the appropriate measurement for the applicable location, substitute it for the 40 foot distance and recompute..... .....or do I have to do all the math around here?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #16633
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #16634
Beto
RustyGasket

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
been studying the dewey decimal system. I hear it's making a comeback.
poi?

Originally Posted by Ogre_fl
"If it's anyone's fault for a crash... it's always the Ass Fault."
Beto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #16635
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Exactly! WTF did the car driver think the truck was changing lanes for?

I love the look on the guy's face after the fact.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote