She looks he to me.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #16742
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
I must be the only KLr rider because a pinky, or just two fingers isn't going to do squat.

It's heavy and has "sluggish" braking. There is no way a pinky or two fingers is going to slow the pig down.
On a KLR even all four fingers isn't nearly enough. It has automatic ABS! You couldn't lock the front tire on dry pavement if you tried!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #16743
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushpuppy View Post
Nah, take another look. Yellow lines to the left and white on the right.
Upon closer inspection I stand corrected.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #16744
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak View Post

Maybe you should review hydraulics 101 again

Why do they change the slave cylinder? to make the clutch pull lighter

Clue:
It has to do with the applied force and the surface area ratio of the two pistons
Still asleep, I see....

You just repeated exactly what I said. And I understand hydraulic principles full well. I didn't get into that on purpose because some twatwaffle would start a discussion of hydraulics, and you managed to do it anyway.......
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #16745
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwanderer View Post
First and not most important, if you use your first two fingers you could run into interference by hitting the two on the grip. Causing an incomplete clutch throw, or worse on the brake handle and lose some of the braking ability.
adjust your levers properly ("properly" for using one or two fingers at least) and this is not an issue.

Quote:
Second and more important, is body mechanics. This is what is difficult to explain, but easy to demonstrate. The ring and pinky fingers are built for strength and stability, and it doesn't stop at the grip
the middle and ring fingers are the ones that have the most strength for pulling on things. (do some rock climbing, that becomes very evident.)

moreover, on many bikes you need very little strength to work the levers...it's much more about feel.

Quote:
The pointer and middle finger are used for more complex actions such as writing, and have much smaller muscle and tendon structure for the complexity of movement.
i'm not sure i really buy that, but...you want fine control over the levers. thus, using fingers that are designed for complex, fine actions is better.

Quote:
It is also much easier to demonstrate the body's stability in person, but your body is much more stable when clenching the ring and pinky into a fist. Short story, it is all about balance and strength.
it really is not about strength on many modern bikes. it really takes very, very little strength to lock up the front wheel or pull the clutch on my KTM. my DRZ does require more strength, but still not so much that most people would need more than two fingers to summon the required strength. but, yes, there are definitely some bikes where you need to use all your fingers to generated the required strength--on those bikes, you have no choice.

(also, you should avoid to the extent possible--no that it is entirely possible--using the handle bars to balance yourself on the bike. you should ideally be able to remove your hands from the bars and still be balanced.)

Quote:
I agree there may not be a "right or wrong" way but there are better and not so much better ways.
and i would argue the better way is the way that allows you to keep a couple fingers wrapped around the handle bar (and throttle) and that allows you to always have the fingers you use to operate the levers on the levers and in a position to immediately apply them.

you can provide different input to the levers, throttle, and bars at the same time more easily if you do not have all of your fingers on the levers and, instead, are still using 2 or 3 of them to control the bars and throttle.

others, of course, would argue otherwise. but, there is a reason most good dirt riders suggest doing it the way i have described...because when you really need balance, quick reactions, and fine control of all the bike's inputs simultaneously (i.e., when riding technical offroad), you get that stuff better by having a two or three fingers wrapped around the bars and 1 or 2 fingers on the levers.

and it translates to the street as well...where cars, potholes, etc. also sometimes create the need to react with fine control over all of the bikes inputs at the same time right now.

Quote:
Cheers
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #16746
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 406
Jeebus, I don't use 2 or 4 fingers on my levers, I use 2 toes!

Who the fuck cares if other people use both hands on one lever or just their pinky when THEY ride. The whole 'ride your own ride' also applies to however you choose to work your controls for crap's sake.

Now then, why is this woman holding a baby Ewok?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #16747
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO II View Post
"Best Practice" requires a definition of what you require for the benchmark.... On the public road perhaps I might be so bold to suggest that "Arrive Alive" might be a reasonable starting point. This then might lead me to the conclusion that ALL braking be done in a straight line, that ALL gear changing be done in a straight line and finally set your entry speed as constant through the whole corner... start out wide for vision, buffer from the "head on zone" and aim to finish tight. At all times buffer from any oncoming vehicles even if this means reducing your entry speed.
all absolutely true.

but best practice on the street also requires being prepared to deal with the unexpected and that which is beyond your control. you might have no choice but to brake in a corner at some point. imho, that means doing it regularly, so it is "nothing" when you have to do it, is a good idea.

it's not about being faster or racing or anything. it's about being best prepared to survive in a world where the unexpected and things outside of your control do happen.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #16748
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
2. Visor Fail!

3. Wrong side of the road FAIL! Unless of course this is the New Dragon with British driving Rules!
I see faint yellow way out in front of the bike and he is to the right of it. I also see white to the right of his bike, so that makes this a non fail event. NFE.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #16749
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelion View Post

To crush underneath her ungloved palms if they lay 'er down?
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #16750
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
To crush underneath her ungloved palms if they lay 'er down?
na there good they got the jebus fish on there bags.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #16751
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Am I the only one that brakes with the right 3 fingers? (pinky, ring, middle). It allows an easier transition from braking to accelerating.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #16752
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelion View Post
Jeebus, I don't use 2 or 4 fingers on my levers, I use 2 toes!

Who the fuck cares if other people use both hands on one lever or just their pinky when THEY ride. The whole 'ride your own ride' also applies to however you choose to work your controls for crap's sake.

Because an adult Ewok wouldn't fit between them?? Do I win?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #16753
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
This crash had nothing to do with over-braking. See the trolley tracks? His front tire wedged in it at the moment he hit the brakes. Flipping over the bars of an S1000RR is flat out impossible without something external grabbing the tire. It has proportional braking linked to the rear plus race ABS.
My S1000RR doesn't have linked brakes. ABS yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Yeah, because it's impossible to disable the ABS, and the ABS was never an option on the s1000rr...
I'm not sure what you're saying here, but, you can easily disable the ABS and it has always been an option on the S1000RR. The Canadian model wasn't available without ABS.

My old Honda CBR1000F required four fingers hauling on the brake to stop fast. My S1000RR is one or maybe two fingers to emergency brake with the ABS just fluttering on the edge of kicking in in Race mode. I can use four fingers but why bother?

I got around the only potential problem I saw (trapping the extra fingers on the clutch side) by replacing the stock levers with Pazzo shorties. The brake lever never gets close enough to the grip to worry about trapping fingers.

I find that much of what is taught at MSF needs to be taken with a grain of experience and common sense, such as lane position.

And... I have no pics of the Dragon.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #16754
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Wheelies:

Over the line:

You can't park that here:

daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #16755
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!