Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #1696
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
You may be overreacting a little..... I took that comment to be something like "one of the skills you should master; blipping the throttle, trail braking, riding side saddle etc"
Mind you, I could be wrong too, I remember being wrong once before, 1984 or 86?
Too many folks think that "blipping the throttle" somehow equates in some way to trail braking..it does not.

Matching engine speed to road speed is independent of trail braking, but certainly...cooperative.

I think when you say "riding side saddle"...you may mean "hanging off"..well, that's also a skill taught in the MSRC and ARC-ST. Body position "aids" steering and hanging off a bit helps change the CoG enough to affect lean angle without necessarily attracting the attention of LE.

It's a fine line.

YMMV.

Things I've ate/cooked.
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #1697
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,450
Clearly I am an ignoramus, thank you for the edifying post, I will totter backwards out of this room bowing at the waist and making grovelling noises as I go.

I assume we morans are second door on the left?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #1698
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Clearly I am an ignoramus, thank you for the edifying post, I will totter backwards out of this room bowing at the waist and making grovelling noises as I go.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #1699
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Watch it, I'm on my way to your end of the building now.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #1700
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,332
Quote:
You may be overreacting a little..... I took that comment to be something like "one of the skills you should master; blipping the throttle, trail braking, riding side saddle etc...
Mad skillz!

Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #1701
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
WTF? "Blipping the throttle" and trail braking have nothing to do with each other. Dude, stick to your armchair academics..have you even been on a track?
Nothing, it has more to with multi-tasking with your right hand. If you can't manage to rev match you have friggin business trying to trail brake.

Quote:
For street riding, most riders should do most of their braking when the moto is straight up and down (no lean)...a more experienced rider will do the same but reserve some, small portion of the braking as the moto leans into the curve...therefore easing the transition of the suspension and also easing the transition from off-throttle (braking) to on-throttle (accelerating thru the corner).
Yeah its called whizzing.....or loading.....take your pick.

Quote:
Blipping the throttle is academic to this exercise as the rider should be matching the road speed to engine speed for a given gear. Blipping the throttle does nothing for that.
Really? So you can down shift without upseting the suspension .....without the throttle? You have a dual clutch VFR or something?

Quote:
Slipper clutches negate this either way.
Yeah, I don't have one.

Quote:
Trail braking is an Advanced Skill that most street riders should master...independent of throttle position...IMO
So you ONLY brake with your throttle completely off? ...and I don't know what I'm taking about?

P.S. I have the black lid and reb/black leather.
Attached Images

Tripped1 screwed with this post 05-30-2011 at 12:01 AM
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 AM   #1702
spaiduhz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Mad skillz!

... woah. If done intentional.

If i zoom in, i might see a shit smear on the seat of his pants. That looks hairy scary...
spaiduhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #1703
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,254
Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #1704
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Ok I got to ask.....where is your wind screen

Brand new bodywork and paint job for the upcoming season, and someone else wrecked it the week before my first race . I bought another set of Sharkskinz but never bothered mounting them.

You can see my zipties in the pic. I had a few mms of travel left. A few is enough though, right.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #1705
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Brand new bodywork and paint job for the upcoming season, and someone else wrecked it the week before my first race . I bought another set of Sharkskinz but never bothered mounting them.

You can see my zipties in the pic. I had a few mms of travel left. A few is enough though, right.
'Zatcly
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #1706
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
The MSRC is not a great course, but in it's absence...there's...Nothing. For whatever reason, the DoD has decided to put all Faith in the MSF (regardless of their allegiance to the industry..vis-a-vis, the MIC) vs. relying on more commercial interests...(Total Control, CSS, and many, many others).

I reckon we should dance with the one that brung us...after 14 years...I turned in my dance card.

Keep fighting the good fight.
Well, I applaud the military for trying whatever they can to teach our soldiers to ride well and safely. You never know which little nugget will save a life.

My daughter had a very good friend in High School who joined the Marines after graduating and did 3 tours in Iraq. He was transitioning out of the service and was temporarily stationed in Germany before getting sent home to become a civilian again. About two weeks before he was due to be sent home he was blowing off some steam by riding his motorcycle one night (we suspect after a few beers), wadded it up into a tree, and broke his neck and some other parts. He was paralyzed from the chest down. After repairing the less critical damage and stabilizing him he was sent to someplace in California for more reconstructive surgery and rehab, then finally released after about six months to go home to his Mom. He was home for about eight months, paralyzed and in a wheel chair, and decided he was too much of a burden to his family and committed suicide. This wonderful young man survived being a Marine on the front lines in Iraq for three tours and a stupid decision resulting in a fucking motorcycle wreck killed him. I don't think he had much formal rider safety training, and maybe in his mental condition at the time it wouldn't have made much difference, but you never know.

Rest in Peace, Charlie, we miss you.

I think every little bit of skill, knowledge, and experience you can gather helps and you never know which little nugget might make the difference. I've been riding since I was 5 years old (I'm 53 now) and I still learn something new nearly every time I ride. I read, listen, watch, study, critique, practice, experience, discuss, and learn whatever I can at every opportunity. I love this sport more now than I did when I was younger and I will continue riding and building skills until I am physically unable to keep it up. You can NEVER have too many tools in your toolbox.

Doug
Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #1707
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Oddometer: 422
Sadly most of the education the soldiers/sailors get is wasted on the attitude they have while taking it.

I teach 100% military classes now and my biggest challenge is to get these young men/women to actually try the exercises and participate in class.

Too many times I have seen a student leave our classes and then decide they didn't want or need a bit of the training making poor choices on the bikes.

It is the military mind set and VERY hard to work through.

Your friends story is not a singular one and regardless of how much they shove training down these service members throats they will probably disregard a large percentage of it.
We get to a few so that makes it all worth while, but I sadly don't think we will ever get all.

As for the MSRC and this attitude. The class room does try to do a good job of breaking down some of that, but at the same time we are "teaching" these same attitudes techniques they have ZERO business trying on the street when they only have 500 miles or less of riding time.

The system is broken not so much the training.

Now back to our regularly schedule discussion of trail braking.
2005 F650GS
http://www.jasonstiffey.com
fitenfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #1708
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,226
Interesting.... that's not been my experience at all.

Over the years, I've taught a number of students who were in the military. They've always been the best students to teach, IMO. They listen well, they're respectful, do exactly what they're told and tend to meet the objective of each exercise quickly.

Just last week, there were 6 guys from Fort Bragg taking "Mobility Training" in our class. It was a pleasure to have them.

As they say... "YMMV"
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #1709
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #1710
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit