ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #17326
Barry
Just Beastly
 
Barry's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Same with idiots on 120hp bikes with no skill.
Agree. Should have stated that myself.

Go slow, hit shit, get hurt.

Go real fast, hit shit, get hurt.

Stupid either way.

Barry
__________________
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #17327
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
How is this even possible?

How can one leave the road like that going that slow if they have even the basic skills of operating a motorcycle? Like, somebody who knows enough to get a motorcycle *to* the Gap yet doesn't know enough to navigate a turn at that speed? I just don't understand how that works... MIND. BLOWN.
easy- he 'thought' about steering tighter, and he anti-countersteered.
__________________
---->>Thanks for the rotor, guys!<<----
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #17328
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
+


If we're going to ban something, let's ban the people who want to ban more stuff.
But then wouldn't you be banning yourself?
__________________
EastSideSM: '06 950SM Black
EastSideSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #17329
Barry
Just Beastly
 
Barry's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
easy- he 'thought' about steering tighter, and he anti-countersteered.

Here is what I believe catches folks out. They practice (IF they practice) for riding. Most guys want to ride roughly the speed limit, know how to shift, brake, turn, for normal, everyday, ride the speed limit riding.

The guys that crash at 20mph, and the sport bike assholes, do NOT practice for "OH SHIT, I need to brake HARD". Or "Oh shit, I need to brake HARD and then TURN very sharply". Nor do they practice this at the speeds that dumb luck toss it out at you. So people who only practice riding in a nice straight line, within the speed limit, ONLY know how to ride that way.

If you don't practice panic/threshold braking from various speeds, and extremely aggressive bike handling/maneuvering at various speeds, you have zippy frame of reference when life happens. Is what it is. Practice, or don't.

Barry
__________________
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #17330
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 6,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
How is this even possible?

How can one leave the road like that going that slow if they have even the basic skills of operating a motorcycle? Like, somebody who knows enough to get a motorcycle *to* the Gap yet doesn't know enough to navigate a turn at that speed? I just don't understand how that works... MIND. BLOWN.
If you only ride to the Tavern on weekends for posing and socializing or every couple of months on Poker Runs, and trailer you bike to Deals Gap, how can you get proficient? At that point, you've still got training wheels on.

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #17331
Unclescar
Refried Bean
 
Unclescar's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Bartlett, TN
Oddometer: 62
SON OF A BISQUIT!!!

I had a similar wreck where a car crossed and hit me. Totalled the bike, put me in the hospital for 2 weeks, two broke legs, and a severe headache.
__________________
Uncle Scar
Unclescar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #17332
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Finland-Australia
Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
If you only ride to the Tavern on weekends for posing and socializing or every couple of months on Poker Runs, and trailer you bike to Deals Gap, how can you get proficient? At that point, you've still got training wheels on.

--Bill
+1 and then some
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #17333
Geoff
Studly Adventurer
 
Geoff's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Illinois
Oddometer: 665
Damn shame the rider wasn't more foused. Hope he's okay.
__________________
2007 Harley Street Glide
1999 BMW K1200RS
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #17334
daveinva
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Here is what I believe catches folks out. They practice (IF they practice) for riding. Most guys want to ride roughly the speed limit, know how to shift, brake, turn, for normal, everyday, ride the speed limit riding.

The guys that crash at 20mph, and the sport bike assholes, do NOT practice for "OH SHIT, I need to brake HARD". Or "Oh shit, I need to brake HARD and then TURN very sharply". Nor do they practice this at the speeds that dumb luck toss it out at you. So people who only practice riding in a nice straight line, within the speed limit, ONLY know how to ride that way.

If you don't practice panic/threshold braking from various speeds, and extremely aggressive bike handling/maneuvering at various speeds, you have zippy frame of reference when life happens. Is what it is. Practice, or don't.

Barry
Totally agree... but that video isn't about panic/threshold braking or extremely aggressive bike handling. It's navigating a gentle curve at less than 20 mph on a sunny day! I guarantee that guy's made sharper turns in *the Cracker Barrel parking lot.*

Maybe it was just a brain fart; we all get them from time to time. But somehow I suspect that this is a case of the charitable explanation is *too* charitable. The mind, it boggles.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #17335
speednut
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Conyers,Ga
Oddometer: 117
That scares me.
speednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #17336
Barry
Just Beastly
 
Barry's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Totally agree... but that video isn't about panic/threshold braking or extremely aggressive bike handling. It's navigating a gentle curve at less than 20 mph on a sunny day! I guarantee that guy's made sharper turns in *the Cracker Barrel parking lot.*

Maybe it was just a brain fart; we all get them from time to time. But somehow I suspect that this is a case of the charitable explanation is *too* charitable. The mind, it boggles.
I believe it applies in that he was turning right, became distracted AND/OR drug hard parts, and had to QUICKLY refocus and redirect the bike. None of which he ever practiced, is my guess.



Barry
__________________
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #17337
GSequoia
Where are my tools?
 
GSequoia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I believe it applies in that he was turning right, became distracted AND/OR drug hard parts, and had to QUICKLY refocus and redirect the bike. None of which he ever practiced, is my guess.



Barry
They're going positive steer speed there. I hate it when a pirate (or minivan, same thing) goes slow enough to make me need to do that and I'm not even a fast rider.
__________________
2005 KLR 650 A bit beat up but works just fine. Powered by really angry canaries.
1985 Suzuki GS700E Some assembly required
1977 Cimatti City Bike. What, you call that a build thread? Officially stalled...
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #17338
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!
 
Disco Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: The Center of my Own Universe
Oddometer: 5,226
that's why i'll never go through the dragon on the weekend. too many people out there that could take you out with their idiocy.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #17339
Barry
Just Beastly
 
Barry's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
They're going positive steer speed there. I hate it when a pirate (or minivan, same thing) goes slow enough to make me need to do that and I'm not even a fast rider.
Holy Christ... I reach counter-steering speed in my goddamned DRIVEWAY.
__________________
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #17340
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 33,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
i think he targeted the vett. why did he stand the bike up instead of staying turned?
My guess is that he didn't counter-steer, but instead tried to jerk the bars to the right, thus making the bike stand up rather than turn more sharply.
__________________
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014