Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #17326
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Same with idiots on 120hp bikes with no skill.
Agree. Should have stated that myself.

Go slow, hit shit, get hurt.

Go real fast, hit shit, get hurt.

Stupid either way.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #17327
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
How is this even possible?

How can one leave the road like that going that slow if they have even the basic skills of operating a motorcycle? Like, somebody who knows enough to get a motorcycle *to* the Gap yet doesn't know enough to navigate a turn at that speed? I just don't understand how that works... MIND. BLOWN.
easy- he 'thought' about steering tighter, and he anti-countersteered.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #17328
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
+

If we're going to ban something, let's ban the people who want to ban more stuff.
But then wouldn't you be banning yourself?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #17329
Barry
Just Beastly

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
easy- he 'thought' about steering tighter, and he anti-countersteered.

Here is what I believe catches folks out. They practice (IF they practice) for riding. Most guys want to ride roughly the speed limit, know how to shift, brake, turn, for normal, everyday, ride the speed limit riding.

The guys that crash at 20mph, and the sport bike assholes, do NOT practice for "OH SHIT, I need to brake HARD". Or "Oh shit, I need to brake HARD and then TURN very sharply". Nor do they practice this at the speeds that dumb luck toss it out at you. So people who only practice riding in a nice straight line, within the speed limit, ONLY know how to ride that way.

If you don't practice panic/threshold braking from various speeds, and extremely aggressive bike handling/maneuvering at various speeds, you have zippy frame of reference when life happens. Is what it is. Practice, or don't.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #17330
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,389
Quote:
How is this even possible?

How can one leave the road like that going that slow if they have even the basic skills of operating a motorcycle? Like, somebody who knows enough to get a motorcycle *to* the Gap yet doesn't know enough to navigate a turn at that speed? I just don't understand how that works... MIND. BLOWN.
If you only ride to the Tavern on weekends for posing and socializing or every couple of months on Poker Runs, and trailer you bike to Deals Gap, how can you get proficient? At that point, you've still got training wheels on.

--Bill
Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #17331
Unclescar
Refried Bean

Oddometer: 62
SON OF A BISQUIT!!!

I had a similar wreck where a car crossed and hit me. Totalled the bike, put me in the hospital for 2 weeks, two broke legs, and a severe headache.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #17332
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
If you only ride to the Tavern on weekends for posing and socializing or every couple of months on Poker Runs, and trailer you bike to Deals Gap, how can you get proficient? At that point, you've still got training wheels on.

--Bill
+1 and then some
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #17333
Geoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Damn shame the rider wasn't more foused. Hope he's okay.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #17334
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Here is what I believe catches folks out. They practice (IF they practice) for riding. Most guys want to ride roughly the speed limit, know how to shift, brake, turn, for normal, everyday, ride the speed limit riding.

The guys that crash at 20mph, and the sport bike assholes, do NOT practice for "OH SHIT, I need to brake HARD". Or "Oh shit, I need to brake HARD and then TURN very sharply". Nor do they practice this at the speeds that dumb luck toss it out at you. So people who only practice riding in a nice straight line, within the speed limit, ONLY know how to ride that way.

If you don't practice panic/threshold braking from various speeds, and extremely aggressive bike handling/maneuvering at various speeds, you have zippy frame of reference when life happens. Is what it is. Practice, or don't.

Barry
Totally agree... but that video isn't about panic/threshold braking or extremely aggressive bike handling. It's navigating a gentle curve at less than 20 mph on a sunny day! I guarantee that guy's made sharper turns in *the Cracker Barrel parking lot.*

Maybe it was just a brain fart; we all get them from time to time. But somehow I suspect that this is a case of the charitable explanation is *too* charitable. The mind, it boggles.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #17335
speednut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
That scares me.
speednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #17336
Barry
Just Beastly

Quote:
Totally agree... but that video isn't about panic/threshold braking or extremely aggressive bike handling. It's navigating a gentle curve at less than 20 mph on a sunny day! I guarantee that guy's made sharper turns in *the Cracker Barrel parking lot.*

Maybe it was just a brain fart; we all get them from time to time. But somehow I suspect that this is a case of the charitable explanation is *too* charitable. The mind, it boggles.
I believe it applies in that he was turning right, became distracted AND/OR drug hard parts, and had to QUICKLY refocus and redirect the bike. None of which he ever practiced, is my guess.

Barry

Old 10-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #17337
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I believe it applies in that he was turning right, became distracted AND/OR drug hard parts, and had to QUICKLY refocus and redirect the bike. None of which he ever practiced, is my guess.

Barry
They're going positive steer speed there. I hate it when a pirate (or minivan, same thing) goes slow enough to make me need to do that and I'm not even a fast rider.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #17338
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,226
that's why i'll never go through the dragon on the weekend. too many people out there that could take you out with their idiocy.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #17339
Barry
Just Beastly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
They're going positive steer speed there. I hate it when a pirate (or minivan, same thing) goes slow enough to make me need to do that and I'm not even a fast rider.
Holy Christ... I reach counter-steering speed in my goddamned DRIVEWAY.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #17340
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
i think he targeted the vett. why did he stand the bike up instead of staying turned?
My guess is that he didn't counter-steer, but instead tried to jerk the bars to the right, thus making the bike stand up rather than turn more sharply.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote