ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #17401
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
txwanderer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Almost East Texas
Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
No, that is the mindset of someone that rides every day in all weather conditions.

I will repeat it just to make you laugh some more. 98% of motorcycle accidents could have been or should have been avoided by the rider.

Pay attention
Don't ride impaired. (tired, drunk,drugs, anger....)
Take it seriously and actually learn to ride and control your bike.
Wear Gear that keeps you comfortable for the given weather so you can maintain focus to the task at hand. (protection should be the secondary consideration in gear selection)
Keep your bike in good running order. (tires, brakes, final drive...)

Do these things and the "risk" is about 2% and that 2% includes the deer strikes, mechanical failure, and road contaminates.

To sum it up. Learn to ride and that LA traffic would be more fun than frightening.
Good list and good mind set.
Might I add,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Don't hang out in drivers blind spots,
Don't tailgate (you really CAN"T handle it or you wouldn't be there to start with),
Always leave yourself an out,
Look where you WANT to go, not where you want to avoid,
And just to say it again, Learn To Ride. One year of experience 20 times doesn't make 20 years of experience.

Cheers
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #17402
fonztheyeti
king of all i survey
 
fonztheyeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: below me
Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Right up until this part, it was a good post. The risk on the road always includes other drivers. Always. Some of them are stupid, some of them are actually trying to hurt you. It's happened to me, and several people I know. There was a death here not long ago where a car blew a red light and blasted right into the side of a motorcycle who was doing it all right.

The naive concept that heavy traffic is not risky is nooby. It CAN be fun, sure. But it is ALWAYS risky.
items 1 and 3 address the problem of other drivers.
__________________
Originally Posted by Red9
if a HD rider puts a car tire on the back of his bike he's an idiot...

Originally Posted by Kommando
People that want to try to dictate my life to me can suck it.
fonztheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #17403
MotorCade
Rugby whore
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Right up until this part, it was a good post. The risk on the road always includes other drivers. Always. Some of them are stupid, some of them are actually trying to hurt you. It's happened to me, and several people I know. There was a death here not long ago where a car blew a red light and blasted right into the side of a motorcycle who was doing it all right.

The naive concept that heavy traffic is not risky is nooby. It CAN be fun, sure. But it is ALWAYS risky.
This. I ride 60 miles each way daily in heavy LA traffic. Usually 15 miles (sometimes more) of lane splitting on the way home. I've had the typical SMIDSY stuff, and I've had a few actually trying to kill me. Had one a-hole in a mercedes sideswipe me and attempt to push me into a panel van. Contrary to expectation, the majority of drivers are trying to give you room and be courteous... but even though I enjoy the commute (riding in traffic is a fun thing, sometimes) I don't think for a second that it's not risky.

Concur with the rest of Dakez post, though.

Cade
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #17404
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Right up until this part, it was a good post. The risk on the road always includes other drivers. Always. Some of them are stupid, some of them are actually trying to hurt you. It's happened to me, and several people I know. There was a death here not long ago where a car blew a red light and blasted right into the side of a motorcycle who was doing it all right, except for not watching for someone running the red light.

The naive concept that heavy traffic is not risky is nooby. It CAN be fun, sure. But it is ALWAYS risky.
Fixed
__________________
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #17405
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 4,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonztheyeti View Post
items 1 and 3 address the problem of other drivers.
Pay attention, and learn to ride and control your bike. You really think that mitigates the risk of other drivers? Whatever. Again, you're a troll, stupid, or never ride in traffic.





Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Fixed
See above. Are you trolling or stupid?
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #17406
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer
 
HammerMacGreed's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Jose
Oddometer: 3,443
few more things:

don't follow behind or beside big rigs, those tires blow and you're done

don't follow behind mow & blow crews; shit falls off their trucks

avoid that guy with the boat/PWC trailer heading home at 6pm; most of them let their trailers wag and there's a good chance he's had a few

avoid the do it yourself rental moving vans, most people can't keep them in the lines

don't follow trucks carrying gravel or rocks
__________________
So it's like a disease, like liberalism then?

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #17407
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
There was a death here not long ago where a car blew a red light and blasted right into the side of a motorcycle who was doing it all right.
If the rider was trusting another road user to obey a traffic control device, the rider was NOT "doing it all right"

I managed to avoided two Red Light Runners and three STOP sign runners.

As a rider you MUST take responsibility for ALL road users. You can be DEAD "right" and end up DEAD.

Re-read my post you quoted again. Take note of the part that said: "Pay Attention"
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #17408
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 4,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerMacGreed View Post
few more things:

don't follow behind or beside big rigs, those tires blow and you're done

don't follow behind mow & blow crews; shit falls off their trucks

avoid that guy with the boat/PWC trailer heading home at 6pm; most of them let their trailers wag and there's a good chance he's had a few

avoid the do it yourself rental moving vans, most people can't keep them in the lines

don't follow trucks carrying gravel or rocks
All great advice.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #17409
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwanderer View Post
And just to say it again, Learn To Ride. One year of experience 20 times doesn't make 20 years of experience.

Cheers

If you are not getting it then seek professional help. (pay for some training... Read MORE books...) It is your life!

Ride Safe
Ride Well
Ride Often
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #17410
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If the rider was trusting another road user to obey a traffic control device, the rider was NOT "doing it all right"

I managed to avoided two Red Light Runners and three STOP sign runners.

As a rider you MUST take responsibility for ALL road users. You can be DEAD "right" and end up DEAD.

Re-read my post you quoted again. Take note of the part that said: "Pay Attention"
Hey, how come he didn't call you a troll?
__________________
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #17411
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer
 
Powershouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Minn-knee-sooo-taaa
Oddometer: 2,169
Watch out fo rthe bears

Rolled through the gap for the first time Friday lovely area, wonderful roads everywhere you turn. Bear hunters were out in force. I had a very disconcerting moment rolling past a bunch of bear hunters standing with their guns ready on the right side of the road, watching for a bear to pop out of the woods on the left side of the road.

Perhaps I need to add some kevlar body armor to my ATG!
__________________
Wisconsin Rustic Road Century
Powershouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #17412
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 4,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Hey, how come he didn't call you a troll?
I missed his post.

Seriously, pay all the attention in the world, you can still end up flattened. Does it make y'all feel good to pretend that if you just pay enough attention, you'll never get hit?

That is the surest sign of naivety.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #17413
GSequoia
Where are my tools?
 
GSequoia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
Rolled through the gap for the first time Friday lovely area, wonderful roads everywhere you turn. Bear hunters were out in force. I had a very disconcerting moment rolling past a bunch of bear hunters standing with their guns ready on the right side of the road, watching for a bear to pop out of the woods on the left side of the road.

Perhaps I need to add some kevlar body armor to my ATG!
Shooting across a public road, that can't be legal, even in TN.
__________________
2005 KLR 650 A bit beat up but works just fine. Powered by really angry canaries.
1985 Suzuki GS700E Some assembly required
1977 Cimatti City Bike. What, you call that a build thread? Officially stalled...
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #17414
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis
 
Ragin Rabbi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Western Maryland
Oddometer: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
I missed his post.

Seriously, pay all the attention in the world, you can still end up flattened. Does it make y'all feel good to pretend that if you just pay enough attention, you'll never get hit?

That is the surest sign of naivety.
I would like to know what type of bike/riding you do? I've ridden through the greater DC area, 270, 495, Pennsylvania Ave., and I don't know of too many locals that really beat those roads for traffic (yes, even LA and San Diego) and intelligence impaired drivers. Close calls? Yup, but by paying attention, leaving as much room as the other road users would allow me, I mitigated the chance for the close call to become a call for an ambulance.

The number "98%" may be high, but not by much. Very few real "accidents" happen. One or the other driver could have done something along the line that would have negated the collision.

Troll? Hardly, I've disagreed with some of his posts, but this series is hardly a troll. Now, ask him about Harley's, and you're on your own......
__________________
Each according to their need, each according to their ability.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #17415
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Pay attention, and learn to ride and control your bike. You really think that mitigates the risk of other drivers? Whatever. Again, you're a troll, stupid, or never ride in traffic.






See above. Are you trolling or stupid?
So you say I guy that got killed riding front of a red light runner was “doing everything right”. I say he was not. Then you say I’m stupid? Hmmmmmmmm…..ok. You just keep doing “everything right” and you won’t be calling anybody stupid. BTW why call someone stupid just because they disagree with you?
__________________
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014