ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #17581
Tepi
Studly Adventurer
 
Tepi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Helsinki/Heinola Finland
Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
Have you ever driven a motorcycle with an engine that is: long-stroke, large-displacement, 45 degree V-twin, and with a shared piston throw on the crank? That's what it looks like he's operating, tons of low-end torque. Typically their second gear is good from about 8mph up to 48mph and will merrily yank you from one to the other pretty darn quick.

Their throttle is an on/off switch for jumping forward or backwards 20' (7 meters) almost instantly at almost any speed (except for at top-rpm or the very bottom portion of the rpm, which you don't use on that type of engine).

Long-stroke always means a very wide and flat torque curve and also means a lower top rpm. Only a short stroke engine can hit high rpms, but they have almost no low-end torque. Did you know that a big cruise ship engine typically operates around 10 or 15 RPM and has less than 60 rpm at full speed? It's actually much more about piston speed, typically measured in feet-per-second, long stroke travels farther per RPM. Like a long crowbar vs. a short crowbar.

StoneAge Man
Nope, you got me there. I only have a HD forty eight, without highway pegs. As a male I wouldnt like to sit in a gyno position and I'm planning on some midpegs next summer. Also I do like to keep control while cornering, that means quick access to the gearshifter and rear brake. As for the cruise ship analogy, we're talking about motorcycles not container ships.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #17582
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
txwanderer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Almost East Texas
Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
Now make a version of that with a Harley firing order...

Bet he don't know it or get the pun. Along with most "motorcycle" guys.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #17583
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG
 
AustinJake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 3,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioti View Post
http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_firing.html



It is a single pin crank with knife and fork con rods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
Now make a version of that with a Harley firing order...
__________________
____________________________________
Get fit. Stay safe. Enjoy life. Learn something to help someone in need.
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #17584
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 16,326
no wonder they are so slow....it only fires once per second!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #17585
Cambion
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Ashburn, VA
Oddometer: 71
Wasn't there supposed to be a photo thread around here somewhere??

Cambion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #17586
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 46,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be a photo thread around here somewhere??
Try this one: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830971

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #17587
RDTCU
Beastly Adventurer
 
RDTCU's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be a photo thread around here somewhere??

That's Larry, he's a hoot
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #17588
KX50002
NooB, my ass
 
KX50002's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: NEPA
Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
8mph to 48 mph in second gear? The faster sports bike's today will probably do 100mph in first gear.
Hell my antique 1997 Bandit does 85 in first gear at redline
And lowend torque? I can go 25 mph in high gear
I believe the Harley "low end torque" to be a myth based on the fact that they lack power at any RPM range.
And I'm not a "hater" I've ridden Harleys I enjoy them for what they're good at which is IMHO cruising at a leisurely pace. Just don't try to sell me on their "performance"
__________________
SOTGMOTT Some Of The Gear Most Of The Time
KX50002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #17589
warrior1677
Studly Adventurer
 
warrior1677's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
but where are the potatoes?
__________________
Loud pipes save lives (they keep me awake)
warrior1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #17590
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
Hell my antique 1997 Bandit does 85 in first gear at redline
And lowend torque? I can go 25 mph in high gear
I believe the Harley "low end torque" to be a myth based on the fact that they lack power at any RPM range.
And I'm not a "hater" I've ridden Harleys I enjoy them for what they're good at which is IMHO cruising at a leisurely pace. Just don't try to sell me on their "performance"
25 in high gear? So? I can pull away from a stop in fourth. If you don't believe long stroke twins have a flatter torque curve than short stroke fours, you don't know much about engines.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #17591
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 6,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
25 in high gear? So? I can pull away from a stop in fourth. If you don't believe long stroke twins have a flatter torque curve than short stroke fours, you don't know much about engines.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Any engine can have a flat torque curve. That is more of a function of intake runner length and valve events than actual engine configuration. The issue with long stroke ANYTHING is that torque is all its good for because if you really spin them piston accelleration tears them apart. Go look up a 1050cc Triumph Triple or the the 1300cc I-4 in a Busa or 1400cc in a ZX-14. Flat as the day is long.

For reference I can pull my Speed Triple off a light in 3rd gear two up and not really have to slip the clutch. You can pull any bike off of a light in any gear if you don't mind heating your clutch up a tad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:20 AM   #17592
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Any engine can have a flat torque curve. That is more of a function of intake runner length and valve events than actual engine configuration. The issue with long stroke ANYTHING is that torque is all its good for because if you really spin them piston accelleration tears them apart. Go look up a 1050cc Triumph Triple or the the 1300cc I-4 in a Busa or 1400cc in a ZX-14. Flat as the day is long.

For reference I can pull my Speed Triple off a light in 3rd gear two up and not really have to slip the clutch. You can pull any bike off of a light in any gear if you don't mind heating your clutch up a tad.
And what's wrong with a low rpm engine? Lots of very practical uses. They develop power earlier and get better gas mileage.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:23 AM   #17593
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!
 
Fe Man's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Moran Nation, N. Atlanta Outpost
Oddometer: 7,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
As for the cruise ship analogy, we're talking about motorcycles not container ships.
Clearly, you have never been in a long line of Harleys...
__________________
2006 Tiger
2008 KLR (hers)
Fe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #17594
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 1,823
I looked em up, like you asked. They're flat for sport bikes, but not nearly as flat as a sportster or a vstar 1100.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #17595
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 11,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
And what's wrong with a low rpm engine?
Power = Torque x RPM. The "x RPM" part is the problem with low rpm engines.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014