Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #1876
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
you my friend, are smoking pot.
You live in TN so I assume you have ridden that stretch of road.

I have but I confess only on a couple of those ill-handling, poor braking, no clearance Harleys.

At the posted speed limit I would have no problem avoiding any of the those trucks posted in those videos, nor would the vast majority of riders on that road.

You right, speed has nothing to do with the trucks driving LOC, but it had everything to do with trucks potentially killing motorcyclists as you contend.

Honestly, the road is not that dangerous and if you believe it is you should probably stay away.
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #1877
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
At the posted speed limit I would have no problem avoiding any of the those trucks posted in those videos, nor would the vast majority of riders on that road.
YOU would have no problem avoiding the truck, but there have been cases of bikes stopped for a truck, only to have the truck pinch them in a corner before they could back peddle fast enough to get out of the way.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #1878
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
any person wanting to place a business up there orta have his ass removed...

And I'm sure there is a government stipend or grant available somewhere to have it relocated...
If some recreational group decided your area was a good place to play and wanted to kick your home and business out how would you feel?

Don't you think the people who live there should make that decision?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #1879
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
You live in TN so I assume you have ridden that stretch of road.

I have but I confess only on a couple of those ill-handling, poor braking, no clearance Harleys.

You right, speed has nothing to do with the trucks driving LOC, but it had everything to do with trucks potentially killing motorcyclists as you contend.

Honestly, the road is not that dangerous and if you believe it is you should probably stay away.
The "road" may not be that dangerous, but some the riders certainly are. See those skid marks off my left right hand? The Dragon is full of them. (there are some looooong ones on the Cherohala....)

BUBB screwed with this post 06-17-2011 at 10:06 AM
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #1880
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB View Post
The "road" may not be that dangerous, but some of the riders certainly are.
I think this sums it up pretty well.

Riders without the requisite experience and riders going too fast.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #1881
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,126
So instead of the sign reading "Road closed to trucks", it should read "Road closed to unsafe motorcyclists"

Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #1882
wmfleet2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
That's Avatar material right there....
his shoe is untied
wmfleet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:08 AM   #1883
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
It doesn't have to be the Dragon to encounter big trucks over the centerline on backcountry roads--I see it all the time around here. Just last night I came over a rise a bit over the 55 mph limit and someone was backing a tree-trimming truck and trailer across the road, completely blocking both lanes and hanging off either side of the pavement, and in a spot where they were invisible from a distance. I was able to stop in time, but for a moment I was eyeing the lack of shoulder and wondering about the possibility of hitting the ditch at speed. When riding backcountry two-lane anywhere you've got to ride with some safety margin.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #1884
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
I think this sums it up pretty well.

Riders without the requisite experience and riders going too fast.

Does that rational apply to 4 wheelers as well?

Come on man, woman, whatever... Your arguments sound a little one sided and biased...

What, you ride a Harley and specialize in riding under the speed limit and heckling other riders that do it?

And btw, ever seen vids of riders getting rear ended?

So we should all ride at the speed limit and stop instantly (b/c we're at the speed limit after all) when anything looks dangerous ahead?

So, shift the blame FROM a truck being LOC, to a 4wheeler that rear ended a rider? Is that how it works?

B/c it's riders over the speed limit, playing, that get involved in the majority of crashes?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #1885
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,912
Quote:

Come on man, woman, whatever... Your arguments sound a little one sided and biased...

What, you ride a Harley and specialize in riding under the speed limit and heckling other riders that do it?

So we should all ride at the speed limit and stop instantly (b/c we're at the speed limit after all) when anything looks dangerous ahead?

So, shift the blame FROM a truck being LOC, to a 4wheeler that rear ended a rider? Is that how it works?

B/c it's riders over the speed limit, playing, that get involved in the majority of crashes?
If you're over the speed limit and can't stop in time, then you're just as at fault as the truck/car/whatever that's over the line. I do believe we all have a legal obligation to ride within the limitations as dictated by current conditions.

It's a public road.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #1886
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:

My arguments aren't one side or biased.

I said if a truck or other vehicle was left of center line AND the motorcyclist was speeding when an accident occurred, both parties have liability.

Is it 50/50? Don't know but that's for the courts to decide.

If it's Ok for you to speed, why is not Ok for others to encroach upon your lane? Both are illegal.

Sorry, I'm not one of those that ride under the speed limit. Sparks are a flying when I ride the Dragon and my immaturity has resulted in several double yellow line passes in excess of the posted limit of both bikes and cars on the twisties.

I know it's wrong, I know it's stupid, and I know I probably have pissed off a lot of riders/drivers. As I age, I'm finding it easier to control my "need for speed".

The thing about an HD is that the adage: "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow" really holds true.

But I'm not naive enough to think that if I was in an accident while speeding or not abiding other laws, that I would not be negligent just because the other motorist was also in the wrong.

blk-betty screwed with this post 06-17-2011 at 03:11 PM
Old 06-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #1887
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,411
If I exceed the speed limit on the Dragon, I am not automatically a hazard the other users of the road. A semi can NOT safely traverse the Dragon. That is why they should be banned from using US 129 for through traffic. There are lots of roads that already have such a ban, and 129 need to be added to that list.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #1888
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

I won't argue if trucks should or shouldn't be banned. I believe they shouldn't use that route but occasionally they do, right or wrong, and riders need to be aware of potential hazards.

My foray into this discussion was in response to another member stating that trucks are potentially killing motorcyclists.

I contend if the bike is traveling the speed limit, which is 30 mph on that streatch of road, the rider should be able to stop if he encounters a truck or any other vehicle/obstacle LOC.

30 mph....a quick review indicates motorcycle braking distance at 30 mph to be about 33 feet: http://www.motorvike.com/BrakingDistance.htm

Sure that road is curvy with "blind" corners but sightlines are well in excess of 30 feet, even in the corners. Factoring in reaction time and extending braking distance to 50 feet still leaves enough distance to avoid running into a truck that is LOC...if one is moving at the posted limit.

At higher speed, stopping distance increases. You play, you pay.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #1889
chohan
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse View Post

Perhaps target fixation on the Corvette?
Can't say I'm surprised... wonder what wax the driver uses.
That's an amazing shot, the whole contrast thing going on
with the Chevy and the socks.

Sorry mates, noob lurker catching up on threads.
Cold beers and bacon samiches all 'round.
chohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #1890
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by chohan View Post
Perhaps target fixation on the Corvette?
Can't say I'm surprised... wonder what wax the driver uses.
That's an amazing shot, the whole contrast thing going on
with the Chevy and the socks.

Sorry mates, noob lurker catching up on threads.
Cold beers and bacon samiches all 'round.
When I see a pic of a bike crossing the yellow in a full lean, I'm saying something like this to myself:

"OK, this guy underestimated the curve or overestimated his skills or something like that...it wasn't a smart move to begin with but at least he tried to make it"

But when I see the same line crosser in an almost upright position...I'm like...WTF?! Go sell this bike right now!"