Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #18991
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I believe you are thinking right BUT, it shouldn't be criminal.

Heck When I (we?) were her age there really wasn't riding gear.
The first time I jumped on a Suzuki 80cc bike, I was probably wearing sneakers and jeans and a t-shirt. Probably a KISS t-shirt. (Hey, it was the 70s). And that little Suzuki would zip along the gravel roads of my neighborhood pretty quick.

Excuse me... I'm gonna have to go talk to my parents about that!!!

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #18992
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post

Tassels.
Umm..

I'd lay her down.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #18993
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Ah, I forgot. Only HD riders lay 'er down.
I just can't fathom a parent putting their child at risk, albeit a "remote chance" of risk, of severe physical harm if they do go down.

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong.
i agree w/you. but look at it this way - some folks would think it criminal to allow a child on a motorcycle even if in full gear...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #18994
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
And some would think it irresponsible to be riding if you have children.
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #18995
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterner View Post
And some would think it irresponsible to be riding if you have children.
I, for one, view it at irresponsible to have children.

I've learned that lesson...Twice now...Now wonder I never get to go on moto trips.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #18996
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,467
Quote:
Maybe "criminal" was the wrong word, but if that little girl was riding in the back of a pickup truck, the police would ticket the driver. Different standards, I know.

I just can't fathom a parent putting their child at risk, albeit a "remote chance" of risk, of severe physical harm if they do go down.

I think we're raising a generation of kids who don't know how to live. I see it everyday in the Army. The young guys coming in grew up on padded playgrounds, anti-bacterial everything, and pads for every activity on wheels. In short, they're a bunch of pussies and we have to retrain them to accept risk.

You ask any 8yo kid around if they want to ride a motorcycle, and they'll all smile and scream yes. Why train them to lose that sense of adventure? When I lived in Europe, I saw kids on scooters and motorcycles all the time. They didn't ride for fun, they rode because it was their only mode of transportation. Yet for some reason, when I throw my nephew in the sidecar with full gear, Americans flip the hell out. Meanwhile, he's having the time of his life. His mother hates motorcycles, and refuses to even let me get him a PW50. On the flip side, she'll let him ride with me. Bass ackwards? Yep, but it shows how uneducated the general public is about our sport.

Nevertheless, I've got a nephew who wants nothing more than to take a ride with me, and turn wrenches when we're done. A future motorcyclist has been born, whether momma likes it or not. If you want to grow our sport, and keep it vibrant, we have to engage kids when they are young.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #18997
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #18998
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i agree w/you. but look at it this way - some folks would think it criminal to allow a child on a motorcycle even if in full gear...

doug s.
They tried to pass a law on just that up here in Ontario, Canuckistan.

Female member of the legislature, is a doctor and recently divorced. Apparently bad Daddy had a motorcycle and she was bound and determined to keep him from taking their kids for rides. So she came up with some cock and bull stats on injuries to children from motorcycles and introduced a private members bill.

Fortunately there was an election before it went very far and the bill died. She lost her seat. And it turns out the injury stats she quoted were for kids injured on dirt bikes/atvs and had nothing to do with road accidents.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #18999
MattB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Maybe "criminal" was the wrong word...

No, I think you had it correct the first time, it is criminal. Not in the jailtime sense, but that is SO wrong to make such a poor choice on behalf of a child. Children count on their parents to make WISE decisions on their behalf.

I suppose I feel even more strongly about this case then what I might otherwise. Consider the location of the picture, eg at the Dragon, and consider how many folks come across double yellow, etc upping the chance of issues significantly.

2000 Honda VFR :: 2002 BMW K1200RS :: 2008 Suzuki GSXR (Track) :: Honda CRF 70 (daughter) :: Honda CRF 80 (son) :: Honda CRF 150 (dad)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #19000
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
No, I think you had it correct the first time, it is criminal. Not in the jailtime sense, but that is SO wrong to make such a poor choice on behalf of a child. Children count on their parents to make WISE decisions on their behalf.

I suppose I feel even more strongly about this case then what I might otherwise. Consider the location of the picture, eg at the Dragon, and consider how many folks come across double yellow, etc upping the chance of issues significantly.
yup, it is criminal to ride a motorcycle on the dragon... not in the jailtime sense, but that is SO wrong to make such a poor choice on behalf of anyone including yourself. but, i bet if you asked, the kid wanted to go and wasn't forecd to go... would i take a kid on that road w/o gear? no, but i wouldn't ride the dragon w/o gear myself. to be honest, i really have no desire to ride that road, whatsoever...

doug s.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #19001
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

I don't have a problem with riding if you have kids. I know people on both sides of that debate, and I don't fault them for their choice, either way. I can see both sides of the issue.

Also, I'm not against taking kids as passengers on bikes.

But to choose not to mitigate their risk (ATGATT) in case of a crash... that just seems wrong. Maybe not criminal, but that woman just isn't thinking of the possible consequences.

The photo just instinctively made me cringe. First glance, gut reaction, it seemed wrong.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #19002
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Umm..

I'd lay her down.

Me too...

Maybe even twice if I still had some chrome on the pipes.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #19003
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post

I've learned that lesson...Twice now...Now wonder I never get to go on moto trips.

+1 Same here. People are the #1 reason for global warming, pollution, war, and slow drivers in the left hand lane. And since kids grow up to be people, I chose not to add to the world's problems.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #19004
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't have a problem with riding if you have kids. I know people on both sides of that debate, and I don't fault them for their choice, either way. I can see both sides of the issue.

Also, I'm not against taking kids as passengers on bikes.

But to choose not to mitigate their risk (ATGATT) in case of a crash... that just seems wrong. Maybe not criminal, but that woman just isn't thinking of the possible consequences.

The photo just instinctively made me cringe. First glance, gut reaction, it seemed wrong.
i have the same reaction when i see anyone riding like that. if there were yust the woman, and no kid, i would still cringe...

doug s.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #19005
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
+1 Same here. People are the #1 reason for global warming, pollution, war, and slow drivers in the left hand lane. And since kids grow up to be people, I chose not to add to the world's problems.
people are also the #1 reason for fighting global warming, protesting wars, fighting pollution, proper lane courtesy, fast cars, motorcycles, blissful orgasms, etc...

i, personally, believe the human population has way exceeded its carrying capacity and it's only a matter of time for the j-curve correction to kick in. now, it seems those who perceive the seriousness of the issues facing humanity - the intelligent ones - are those who should be reproducing and are not. the ignorant masses are going at it like there's no tomorrow. and there wery well may not be. at least for the humans. but mebbe my thoughts are a product of my ethnocentric bias. regardless, mother nature knows best...

doug s.