ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #19021
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
Try practicing it on a chair and see where you knee goes.

NCS
Thanks, dude... I just fell out of my chair!!!
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #19022
NCStephen
Riding NC
 
NCStephen's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hillsborough NC
Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Thanks, dude... I just fell out of my chair!!!
cute.... perhaps the chair wasn't moving fast enough... LOL
Good conversation you generated.
__________________
03 BMW K1200 RS
03 Honda RC51
74 Honda CB750 K4
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #19023
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
cute.... perhaps the chair wasn't moving fast enough... LOL
Good conversation you generated.
I'll try rolling faster next time.

anyway, I'm not afraid to ask questions. There's lots and lots and lots of stuff I don't know... I'll ask if I don't know something.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #19024
NCStephen
Riding NC
 
NCStephen's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hillsborough NC
Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I'll try rolling faster next time.

anyway, I'm not afraid to ask questions. There's lots and lots and lots of stuff I don't know... I'll ask if I don't know something.
If you are married, of course you don't know things, The questions you ask just proves it. The answers you get don't help you know more. Later, by the second or third time you ask the question, you learn not to ask that one anymore. I think the longer I am married the less I know.

About that pic, I don't see the guy posing at all. He has good form, open to the curve, good torso position, good vision position, has moved and lowered the CoG to the inside so bike is more upright, he is also actively position himself on the bike so any needed response might be quicker. He and the bike are better positioned for many things that are and could occur in that curve. I wished I looked that good!!!

NCS
__________________
03 BMW K1200 RS
03 Honda RC51
74 Honda CB750 K4
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #19025
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
If you are married, of course you don't know things, The questions you ask just proves it. The answers you get don't help you know more. Later, by the second or third time you ask the question, you learn not to ask that one anymore. I think the longer I am married the less I know.

About that pic, I don't see the guy posing at all. He has good form, open to the curve, good torso position, good vision position, has moved and lowered the CoG to the inside so bike is more upright, he is also actively position himself on the bike so any needed response might be quicker. He and the bike are better positioned for many things that are and could occur in that curve. I wished I looked that good!!!

NCS
If it hasn't been said already, he's just setting up to enter the tighter portion of the curve.
He may look a bit like he's putting on a super-racer-knee-dragger pose, but that's because he's prepared for the tighter curve he is about to take, not the gentle, sweeping curve that you see in the pic.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #19026
NCStephen
Riding NC
 
NCStephen's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hillsborough NC
Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
If it hasn't been said already, he's just setting up to enter the tighter portion of the curve.
He may look a bit like he's putting on a super-racer-knee-dragger pose, but that's because he's prepared for the tighter curve he is about to take, not the gentle, sweeping curve that you see in the pic.
Agee,
You get the setup done before you start the curve.

Still... I wish I was consistent enough to look that good most of the time.
NCS
__________________
03 BMW K1200 RS
03 Honda RC51
74 Honda CB750 K4
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.

NCStephen screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 02:17 PM
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #19027
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
If it hasn't been said already, he's just setting up to enter the tighter portion of the curve.
He may look a bit like he's putting on a super-racer-knee-dragger pose, but that's because he's prepared for the tighter curve he is about to take, not the gentle, sweeping curve that you see in the pic.
I gotcha. That makes sense to me.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #19028
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
If you are married, of course you don't know things, The questions you ask just proves it. The answers you get don't help you know more. Later, by the second or third time you ask the question, you learn not to ask that one anymore. I think the longer I am married the less I know.

About that pic, I don't see the guy posing at all. He has good form, open to the curve, good torso position, good vision position, has moved and lowered the CoG to the inside so bike is more upright, he is also actively position himself on the bike so any needed response might be quicker. He and the bike are better positioned for many things that are and could occur in that curve. I wished I looked that good!!!

NCS
First, I wished my form was that good, too.

Second, I'm not married, but I've just learned to live with the fact that I don't know everything. Also, it's easier to just ask a question than dwell on all the things I don't know.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #19029
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 7,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
cute.... perhaps the chair wasn't moving fast enough... LOL
Or maybe it wasn't being countersteered. Or coulda had a car tire.
Or...

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #19030
CBAT
occasional wanderer
 
CBAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 824
What is she trying to say with her right hand in that position. Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post


Tassels.
__________________
Bruce

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #19031
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer
 
pretbek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
What is she trying to say with her right hand in that position. Hmmm.
The circle game?
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #19032
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,695
Open for business?
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #19033
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,675
You guys seriously never played stink-eye? Where the fuck did you guys grow up?

(P.S. That clever thing owes ALL of a punch now)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #19034
majlee_vmi
Tidewater 41009
 
majlee_vmi's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post

Does he really need his knee out if he's not even close to being able to have his knee down?

Now correct me if I'm wrong (which is frequently) but don't you have your knee down to feel the road/tarmac and to help you judge your lean angle?

You already got some great concise answers to this question. I'd recommend taking something like Total Control - they teach these techniques and give plenty of practice on their range to get it right and help adjust the techniques for you. Because of my size, my rider coach told me not to hang a butt cheek off the seat - she had me do everything else but that; I was able to get the same effect and benefts of less lean angle and tighter cornering. It's paid huge since I took the course and things make more sense while I'm riding. Really great confidence. I'm a fan of Total Control, but I suspect all those courses teach the same things. Really good experience and would recommend it for anyone who has advanced past MSF level riding.
__________________
"Yes Janet, life is pretty cheap to those types."
majlee_vmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #19035
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
First, I wished my form was that good, too.

Second, I'm not married, but I've just learned to live with the fact that I don't know everything. Also, it's easier to just ask a question than dwell on all the things I don't know.

....and when he says "open" to the curve that is usually referring to the hips, that is actually the hardest part to learn about hanging off is to get your hips pointed in the right direction, when your lower body is angled right everything else lines up much more easily and as noted there are a TON of benefits to that position.

I actually get uncomfortable pulling any real lean with my ass on the seat, feels like I'm going to lean off of the tire and its MUCH harder to change lines.

Holding a pose like that allows you a bit of leeway to make minor adjustments
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014