Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #19111
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
Doesn't DC have a helmet law??

Good thing I always seem to be working the day this happens.
yes, dc does have a helmet law. which is why most of the bikers have helmets on. but i never saw a cop hassle someone w/o a helmet on this ride...

while it is not something i would wanna do every year, it's definitely worth checking it out at least once. it's amazing and bizarre... and i was an observer, i don't think i'd ever wanna actually be a riding participant.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #19112
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
yes, dc does have a helmet law. which is why most of the bikers have helmets on. but i never saw a cop hassle someone w/o a helmet on this ride...

while it is not something i would wanna do every year, it's definitely worth checking it out at least once. it's amazing and bizarre... and i was an observer, i don't think i'd ever wanna actually be a riding participant.

doug s.
I wouldn't want to be that Marine holding a salute for the entire 3-4 hours as they roll by.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #19113
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I wouldn't want to be that Marine holding a salute for the entire 3-4 hours as they roll by.
IIRC, he volunteers for the duty every year.

EDIT: Here's some info on him.

http://marinesmagazine.dodlive.mil/2...e-long-salute/

He's got my respect, that's for sure.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.

RidingDonkeys screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 07:24 AM
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #19114
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
DC has a helmet law, but they don't bust the urbanites with doo rags and stolen dirt bikes, so why bust HD riders for it?
My impression of DCMPD is that many are not bothered by little crimes. They have murders to discover and bigger fish to fry than helmet less rebels that leave the next day.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #19115
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
You're doing it wrong. (Sorry, I've always wanted to say that.) I know that feeling. Try this. Turn your hips to the inside of the turn, hard. That will lock your top knee into the tank and your bottom knee will naturally fall to the inside.
I'll try that when it warms up.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #19116
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
DC has a helmet law, but they don't bust the urbanites with doo rags and stolen dirt bikes, so why bust HD riders for it?
My impression of DCMPD is that many are not bothered by little crimes. They have murders to discover and bigger fish to fry than helmet less rebels that leave the next day.
most of those bikes you refer to, stolen or not, are 49cc or under, and they don't require licenses or helmets to ride them. not sure why you assume they're stolen, unless you are a racist...

doug s.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #19117
yuu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
most of those bikes you refer to, stolen or not, are 49cc or under, and they don't require licenses or helmets to ride them. not sure why you assume they're stolen, unless you are a racist...

doug s.
Incorrect

http://www.scribd.com/doc/101938115/...-Vehicle-Chart

- Though poorly structured, DC law is presently set up that any scooter with wheels under 16" is a motorcycle. Thus requires a helmet and M endorsed license. Basically everything that isn't a mo-ped is considered a motorcycle if it needs to be registered in DC. In VA, Sub 50cc doesn't need registration or insurance, but DOES need a helmet. MD recently did some law changes aimed that the sub 50 set that required reg and insurance.

Motorcycle:
"A motorcycle is any motor vehicle other than a motorizedbicycle having either a tandemarrangement of two (2) wheels or a tricyclic arrangement of three(3) wheels and having a seat or saddle for the use of theoperator, but not including a tractor"

Motorized Bicycle:
"A motorized bicycle is a two or three wheeled vehicle with
all ofthe following characteristics
:1) wheels 16 inches or more indiameter, 2) seat or saddle for the operator 3) automatictransmission, 4) pistondisplacement of not more thanfifty (50) cubic centimeters, 5)incapable of maximum speed of over 35 miles per hour on levelground, and 6) not more thanone and one-half (1.5) brakehorsepower (S.A.E. rating). If themotor vehicle does not meet allof these characteristics, it is amotorcycle."
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #19118
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuu View Post
Incorrect

http://www.scribd.com/doc/101938115/...-Vehicle-Chart

- Though poorly structured, DC law is presently set up that any scooter with wheels under 16" is a motorcycle. Thus requires a helmet and M endorsed license. Basically everything that isn't a mo-ped is considered a motorcycle if it needs to be registered in DC. In VA, Sub 50cc doesn't need registration or insurance, but DOES need a helmet. MD recently did some law changes aimed that the sub 50 set that required reg and insurance.

Motorcycle:
"A motorcycle is any motor vehicle other than a motorizedbicycle having either a tandemarrangement of two (2) wheels or a tricyclic arrangement of three(3) wheels and having a seat or saddle for the use of theoperator, but not including a tractor"

Motorized Bicycle:
"A motorized bicycle is a two or three wheeled vehicle with
all ofthe following characteristics
:1) wheels 16 inches or more indiameter, 2) seat or saddle for the operator 3) automatictransmission, 4) pistondisplacement of not more thanfifty (50) cubic centimeters, 5)incapable of maximum speed of over 35 miles per hour on levelground, and 6) not more thanone and one-half (1.5) brakehorsepower (S.A.E. rating). If themotor vehicle does not meet allof these characteristics, it is amotorcycle."
my apologies; thanks for setting me straight. i thought dc was the same as md, where these little scooters are all over the place, and no one wears helmets. and, it sounds like that will be changing.

but i still don't think they're all stolen.

doug s.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #19119
yuu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
my apologies; thanks for setting me straight. i thought dc was the same as md, where these little scooters are all over the place, and no one wears helmets. and, it sounds like that will be changing.

Changed... As of October 2012. All mopeds and scooters need to carry insurance, be registered and riders need a helmet and eye protection (visor, goggles, impact glasses etc.)
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MV...ooter-laws.htm

And more on thread topic'ish - you guys know of rnickymouse? I say 'ish' since he's out west on Mulholland. Catch video and stills. Some crasher, jerks and on the up side - some of Jay Lenos exotics and classics on the move.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rnickeymouse
Old 02-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #19120
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuu View Post
And more on thread topic'ish - you guys know of rnickymouse? I say 'ish' since he's out west on Mulholland. Catch video and stills. Some crasher, jerks and on the up side - some of Jay Lenos exotics and classics on the move.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rnickeymouse
Yep, he has his own thread here as well
Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #19121
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,122
It won't be long before we can get some new Dragon failures.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #19122
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,086

Imagine the carbon footprint

when they eventually bathe.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #19123
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Hmm

Quote:

doug s.
Assuming they are stolen because I used to live there and had my dual sport stolen. Stolen bikes are a huge problem in the area. No 50cc bike is going to roost and wheelie like the dirtbikes I saw. I used to see it all the time when I lived there. Plenty of sportbikers without helmets too.

Nothing I said was race related doug s., so what is up with you bringing race up? In case you haven't noticed, the fashon trend of hoodlums wearing doo rags is not race specific and when I think back on the alley running dirtbikers that I have seen, that is what I remember, doo rag, specifically not a helmet - that is why I remember it. There are plenty of bike theives of all colors/flavors. Wasn't there a white guy a few pages back on this thread that almost stole a bike?

I now ask why assuming that an unplated dirtbike is stolen is in any way connected to race? That is kind of like saying "you like carpet over hardwood floors, you must be a racist." They just aren't connected.

SilkMoneyLove screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 06:49 PM Reason: Clarification
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #19124
Z50Pilot
Sparky

Oddometer: 243
Wing at Rolling Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

I wonder if there's a Wing in that picture somewhere...
Even in that crowd, it is hard to miss the big yellow wing in the center.

Never lend a friend your Pacific Coast. Unless you like scratches and want a beer annuity
Z50Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #19125
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Assuming they are stolen because I used to live there and had my dual sport stolen. Stolen bikes are a huge problem in the area. No 50cc bike is going to roost and wheelie like the dirtbikes I saw. I used to see it all the time when I lived there. Plenty of sportbikers without helmets too.

Nothing I said was race related doug s., so what is up with you bringing race up? In case you haven't noticed, the fashon trend of hoodlums wearing doo rags is not race specific and when I think back on the alley running dirtbikers that I have seen, that is what I remember, doo rag, specifically not a helmet - that is why I remember it. There are plenty of bike theives of all colors/flavors. Wasn't there a white guy a few pages back on this thread that almost stole a bike?

I now ask why assuming that an unplated dirtbike is stolen is in any way connected to race? That is kind of like saying "you like carpet over hardwood floors, you must be a racist." They just aren't connected.
sorry; since the "stolen bike" comment was completely unrelated to the topic at hand, and since dc is 90% black, it yust sounded like a racist comment to me...

doug s.