ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #19261
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post

please tell me that's photoshopped
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #19262
NCStephen
Riding NC
 
NCStephen's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hillsborough NC
Oddometer: 2,936
Hold on there.
Pants in boots
Bandanna

I resemble that remark. Where is a moderator when one is needed. I definitely resemble that.
NCS*
__________________
03 BMW K1200 RS
03 Honda RC51
74 Honda CB750 K4
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #19263
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
please tell me that's photoshopped
You're a little late to the game. We've already established that it is real, it works, he loves it, and the fact that it is pissing off so many people on the thread makes it even more awesome.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #19264
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 6,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
You're a little late to the game. We've already established that it is real, it works, he loves it, and the fact that it is pissing off so many people on the thread makes it even more awesome.
Wait, I'm supposed to be pissed. Damn, I missed that aspect of this whole thing.

Okay, now I'm trying to muster up some righteous indignation, here it comes.... yes, now I'm pissed.

What am I pissed about?
__________________
"FFS I've said I don't know." Jetjock
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #19265
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: md
Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
please tell me that's photoshopped
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
You're a little late to the game. We've already established that it is real, it works, he loves it, and the fact that it is pissing off so many people on the thread makes it even more awesome.
the only thing i'm pissed off about is i can't afford to have a gs w/a rear wheel set-up like that!

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #19266
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
You're a little late to the game. We've already established that it is real, it works, he loves it, and the fact that it is pissing off so many people on the thread makes it even more awesome.
Im not pissed, but massively confused as to why one would change so drastically how the bike handles. Last time I rode a GS it handled pretty dammed well stock.....not sure why someone would make it worse on purpose.
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #19267
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Im not pissed, but massively confused as to why one would change so drastically how the bike handles. Last time I rode a GS it handled pretty dammed well stock.....not sure why someone would make it worse on purpose.
How long will a bike tire last loaded up like that, compared to a car tire?

I doubt he did it FOR the handling, it's just that it wasn't as negatively affected as some would imagine.

BTW, the guy's from Vermont, and he said something about snow traction...
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #19268
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,768
He says it handles just as well, if not better. Videos show the tire flexes just fine in the curves. He rides the shit out of it and hasn't crashed it yet. It obviously works for him, and since I have never piloted a GS with a car tire, I'm going to take his word on it.

Every time somebody posts a "darkside" car tire photo on this site, everybody gets their panties in a wad. I've seen countless people running car tires successfully, and riding hard too. They prove that it works. I've seen thousands of naysayers on this site saying it won't work, but none of them have ever PROVED that it doesn't work. If you don't have any real world experience with it, shut the hell up and ride you're own ride.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.

RidingDonkeys screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 11:44 AM
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #19269
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,431
The only upside to a car tire is cost, pure and simple. Everything else is a compromise.

"Hasn't crashed yet" doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement from what is truly an idiotic practice by cheap bastards!
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #19270
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
He says it handles just as well, if not better. Videos show the tire flexes just fine in the curves. He rides the shit out of it and hasn't crashed it yet. It obviously works for him, and since I have never piloted a GS with a car tire, I'm going to take his word on it.

Every time somebody posts a "darkside" car tire photo on this site, everybody gets their panties in a wad. I've seen countless people running car tires successfully, and riding hard too. They prove that it works. I've seen thousands of naysayers on this site saying it won't work, but none of them have ever PROVED that it doesn't work. If you don't have any real world experience with it, shut the hell up and ride you're own ride.
The problem is when you cram a 17" car tire on a 17" motorcycle rim.
They are not the same size, and it can take a (dangerous) crapload of air pressure to seat a car tire on a bike rim...

This guy didn't use a bike rim, because he had the unique advantage of a single-sided swing arm, in which case he could use a car rim, and not have to ghetto rig the rear rotor.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #19271
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher
 
jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: MCAS MIRAMAR
Oddometer: 1,132
I've ridden dark side tires on a 1500 Intruder and Yammie Stratoliner. It's works. Requires more turn in effort and more effort to hold your line but it works.

I could drag the floor boards on either one.

Sent from my iPhone
__________________
2004 Suzuki DL650 Weestrom
1978 GS 1000
"Those who would trade security for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #19272
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 132
FJR 1300 and ST 1300's have succesfully been darksided on 205/50-17 car tires.

ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #19273
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher
 
jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: MCAS MIRAMAR
Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
The only upside to a car tire is cost, pure and simple. Everything else is a compromise.

"Hasn't crashed yet" doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement from what is truly an idiotic practice by cheap bastards!
So much hate and contempt over what someone else chooses to do with their own lives and machines. Sad.


Sent from my iPhone
__________________
2004 Suzuki DL650 Weestrom
1978 GS 1000
"Those who would trade security for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #19274
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
wannaklr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
Oddometer: 7,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
So much hate and contempt over what someone else chooses to do with their own lives and machines. Sad.


Sent from my iPhone
Without this we have nothing.
__________________
Back in Iowa!
I like my music like I like my women. Loud, angry and with bagpipes!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #19275
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 16,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
So much hate and contempt over what someone else chooses to do with their own lives and machines. Sad.


Sent from my iPhone
without even having ridden one.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014