Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #19351
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Again. If it was a good idea it would be an option from the factory on all new heavyweight cruisers and Sport Cruisers.
Of course, because manufacturers make all good ideas options on new bikes.

Quote:

Rolling over on a side wall of an under inflated tire borders on lunacy. Remember the Firestone/ Explorer debacle? That was all due to FORD placing an unrealistically low air pressure recommendation so that people would stop complaining about the Explorer "Riding like a truck"

Too much flex it the tire caused excessive heat, tire separation and blow-outs.
How many blowouts have you heard from car tires on bikes?
Quote:
Every time I hear a Dumbsider tout how great it is and how you run lower pressure to allow the tire to roll up on the side wall it makes me cringe. I will continue to speak out against stupidity every time it is spewed forth.
As is your right. It's also everybody else's right to call you a dick and tell you you're wasting breath.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #19352
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,077
Quote:

I will continue to speak about my stupidity every time the Darksider subject is brought up.

Fixed for all that don't know about your fascination with car tires.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #19353
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaoyas98 View Post
That TL is tasty.....

Pretty neat 1997 model.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #19354
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
Well you get a bunch of Mexicans in a room and you'll find a consensus that giant floppy whale-tail wings are an improvement to any car. Doesn't mean it's true.

BTW, as far as Michelin engineers go, my girlfriend is one, along with about half a dozen other friends. I'm a mechanical engineer myself.
A car tire on a bike will not handle corners as well as a bike tire. Period.

On that note, a bike tire contact patch actually increases significantly in corners, the opposite is true for a car tire on a bike.

It will go down the highway just fine, and will last longer in that environment. That is the only conceivable advantage.
all true, except for the small fact none of it is true, according to those who have actually tried it. if you closely check the wideos, you will find that the contact patch of a car tire on a darksider's bike at full lean is at least what a bike tire is. whether it has increased or decreased over what it was when upright is not the issue.

too many folks like the handling of their bikes better w/the car tires on them. if the handling was not at least as good, you can be sure that many darksiders would be going back to motorcycle tires, and it yust ain't happening...

would a darksider recommend doing this to a full-on sport bike, motard, etc? not likely, and it's not what darksiders are doing or recommending.

mexicans in a room talking about giant floppy wings has nothing to do w/it. and, obviously, the fact that you are a mechanical engineer has nothing to do w/it either.

i am also an engineer - i work on mechanical, electrical, structural and civil engineering issues and have for >30 years. but, i got a degree in liberal arts, when i was in college. mebbe that's why i a a bit more open minded than you; i have solved too many problems that the degreed engineers and architects couldn't fix, to know that what it says on your diploma doesn't always matter...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #19355
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
sorry, but the consensus - from those who have actually tried it - is overwhelmingly positive. there must be a reason for this...
Yeah, this is the internet. Many people also swear up and down they saved a whole lot of money in fuel costs with a tin can, water, and some wire.

And that one bottle of Acetone netting them a 25% upgrade in fuel mileage.

Or that a $5 button fan added 25hp.

People are really good at deluding themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
How many blowouts have you heard from car tires on bikes?
Less weight, less heat, less stress on the tire, that's probably what saves them.

I'm not a fan but could give a shit if somebody else does it, I just don't want people preeching about how much better it is all the way around, just be honest and say it saves you a decent chunk of change when your focus is superslab and I'll be happy.

PS - Anybody seen Killboy?
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #19356
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, They get more miles for their dollar. (and they are not about to say it was a foolish mistake after they bragged about how great it is)
ridiculous - if it wasn't at least as good as before, you would find many many folks going back. it simply is not happening.

Quote:
Again. If it was a good idea it would be an option from the factory on all new heavyweight cruisers and Sport Cruisers.
ya right, the factory always offers the best stuff, options or standards. that's why no one ever does mods, (many the same ones, over and over...)

Quote:
It is FOLLY to place a flat surfaced tire on a vehicle that leans to turn.
except the facts speak otherwise. and the wideo's clearly indicate that the tire has a big contact patch, when the bikes are leaned over.

Quote:
Rolling over on a side wall of an under inflated tire borders on lunacy. Remember the Firestone/ Explorer debacle? That was all due to FORD placing an unrealistically low air pressure recommendation so that people would stop complaining about the Explorer "Riding like a truck".

Too much flex it the tire caused excessive heat, tire separation and blow-outs.
except neither of your premises is true - the tires are not under-inflated, and they are not being rolled over on the sidewalls. the ford exploder thing is irrelevant and meaningless.

Quote:
Every time I hear a Dumbsider tout how great it is and how you run lower pressure to allow the tire to roll up on the side wall it makes me cringe. I will continue to speak out against stupidity every time it is spewed forth.
enjoy your cringing. every time i read stupid comments spewed forth from folks who clearly have no idea what they are talking about, i yust laugh!

doug s.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #19357
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post

Less weight, less heat, less stress on the tire, that's probably what saves them.
So a car tire is tougher than it needs to be on a motorcycle? Thereby rendering it safe for use?

Huh.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #19358
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, this is the internet. Many people also swear up and down they saved a whole lot of money in fuel costs with a tin can, water, and some wire.

And that one bottle of Acetone netting them a 25% upgrade in fuel mileage.

Or that a $5 button fan added 25hp.

People are really good at deluding themselves.
agreed. but everything you mention above has at least as many nay-sayers - from those who have actually tried it! not so w/"the dark side". so, your statement is meaningless. not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Quote:
exactly - which is why it works! duh! so, lemme fix it for ya:
"Less weight, less heat, less stress on the tire, that's probably why it works."

Quote:
I'm not a fan but could give a shit if somebody else does it, I just don't want people preeching about how much better it is all the way around, just be honest and say it saves you a decent chunk of change when your focus is superslab and I'll be happy.
and, i guess you have never wanted to share something you tried and liked, when you thought it was better than what you were doing before; i guess no one ever likes to do that, eh?

doug s.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #19359
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
So, Doug, do you have a car tire on a bike or are you just white-knighting for the odd crowd of the day?
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #19360
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Fixed for all that don't know about my fascination with making myself look like an idiot by agreeing with things that are ridiculous.

You want to play that game.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 10:00 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #19361
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's also everybody else's right to call you a dick and tell you you're wasting breath.
Truth to correct folly is never a waste.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #19362
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
So, Doug, do you have a car tire on a bike or are you just white-knighting for the odd crowd of the day?
read my prior posts about what type of bikes i own...

i am only "white knighting" for what is reasonable.

doug s.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #19363
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's also everybody else's right to call you a dick and tell you you're wasting breath.
Quote:
Truth to correct folly is never a waste.
true - which is why we correct you.

doug s.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #19364
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
true - which is why we correct you.

doug s.
...and make yourselves look silly.

Quote:
except the facts speak otherwise. and the wideo's clearly indicate that the tire has a big contact patch, when the bikes are leaned over.
doug s.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #19365
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...and make yourselves look silly.
only the ignorant think we look silly. that's ok, we don't mind.

doug s.