Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #20491
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edder B View Post
Seems like he saw the yellow barrels, target fixated on them and ran into the guard rail.
there was also some crap on the roadway......look like a spill of some sort..
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #20492
fonztheyeti
king of all i survey

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
there was also some crap on the roadway......look like a spill of some sort..
clearly he had to lay 'er down... if only that guardrail hadn't prevented that.

Originally Posted by Kommando
People that want to try to dictate my life to me can suck it.
fonztheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #20493
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post
Start around 6:40
And end before 7:00.

He was over his head and fixated on the barrells. Game over.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #20494
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,883
I am going to be a bit more generous in this instance. For riding a none sport bike he was doing a nice job of body position. Not hanging off but clearly getting his butt and torso over and for the most part his shoulders as well. Some earlier shots showed him nicely to the inside of the center line of the bike with upper arm extended and inside arm tucked.. In those series of curves they were becoming more like sweepers and the pace was increasing. I think he simply pushed too hard, ran out of ground clearance was on that arc of, things are scrapping and I can't turn more and that arc carried him off the road.

Corrections could have been done before the commitment to that line in the curve. Perhaps revs high enough that a simple roll off would have better controlled speed at entry and allow corrections easy enogh Once there perhaps he might have really hung off to get more turn effect without more lean, maybe also a bit of throttle to raise front a bit to gain a bit more lean, but once he was really at that late point in the trajectory I think he really didn't have many choices. If a bit earlier perhaps rolling off the throttle would have caused lost of clearance but if done early enough he would have scrubbed off enough speed to make his arc a decreasing one and maybe stay inside the white line.

To his fail
Just a little bit earlier as the pace was increasing I noticed he was running a bit wider on exits than he had when things were a bit slower. In this turn not a bad set up line but seems like ran wide of a normal line about the entire time with an apex in his arc a bit early even if he never came down close to the DYL. The guide rail here was perhaps a bit friendlier than a grill of a Buick had it been a right hander.

OK.. feet up here, glass of water on desk, leaning back.. my Thursday look back at someone else's fail. What did I learn?

Ride the pace I can ride, follow my lines, look through curve, better to late apex than early. Plan to exit mid lane to give myself some leeway. If I have been failing on those things, my pace is over the abilities I bring to bear.

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #20495
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,399
he was all crossed up in every turn. He did do a decent job compensating for it.

I really think he hit some slick shit, topped with beginner riding position, and pushing a POS too hard for his skill level.

Conclusion:

FAIL!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #20496
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
Oh, and I will say this... it is HARD not to look at the photographers. Especially Killboy. Coming from the NC side, you come up on Killboy real quick out of a turn, and you need to be setting up quickly for a right hand turn. I can see how someone could spend too long looking at Killboy and fuck up that right hand turn.
Not always. The last time I rode through there (2009) I didn't even notice Killboy and didn't realize they'd taken a pic until I got home and looked it up. (And my pic probably came out better because if it.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #20497
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
Looks like a waste of ten minutes of my time.

+1

The first thing I thought was a 10+ minute video for THAT?

It looked to me like he was going too fast through the turn trying to keep up with the bikes in front.

Plus, he had poor lines, as did the camera man.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #20498
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Yeah, maybe he was looking at the orange barrels instead of looking ahead at his necessary line. He starts to straighten before the turn ends. He just quits turning. He could have made it if he'd just continued turning.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #20499
genespleen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
I am going to be a bit more generous in this instance. For riding a none sport bike he was doing a nice job of body position. Not hanging off but clearly getting his butt and torso over and for the most part his shoulders as well. Some earlier shots showed him nicely to the inside of the center line of the bike with upper arm extended and inside arm tucked.. In those series of curves they were becoming more like sweepers and the pace was increasing. I think he simply pushed too hard, ran out of ground clearance was on that arc of, things are scrapping and I can't turn more and that arc carried him off the road.

Corrections could have been done before the commitment to that line in the curve. Perhaps revs high enough that a simple roll off would have better controlled speed at entry and allow corrections easy enogh Once there perhaps he might have really hung off to get more turn effect without more lean, maybe also a bit of throttle to raise front a bit to gain a bit more lean, but once he was really at that late point in the trajectory I think he really didn't have many choices. If a bit earlier perhaps rolling off the throttle would have caused lost of clearance but if done early enough he would have scrubbed off enough speed to make his arc a decreasing one and maybe stay inside the white line.

To his fail
Just a little bit earlier as the pace was increasing I noticed he was running a bit wider on exits than he had when things were a bit slower. In this turn not a bad set up line but seems like ran wide of a normal line about the entire time with an apex in his arc a bit early even if he never came down close to the DYL. The guide rail here was perhaps a bit friendlier than a grill of a Buick had it been a right hander.

OK.. feet up here, glass of water on desk, leaning back.. my Thursday look back at someone else's fail. What did I learn?

Ride the pace I can ride, follow my lines, look through curve, better to late apex than early. Plan to exit mid lane to give myself some leeway. If I have been failing on those things, my pace is over the abilities I bring to bear.

NCS
Good read on this; well-said.
genespleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #20500
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,052
Appears he did not want to lean the bike OR ran out of room to lean further. Also appears an early apex to a shallow but decreasing radius turn caught him out. That's what I saw, but I only watched it twice, and I'm sleepy.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #20501
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Ok, dual car tires on this thing riding the dragon? This guy must be loaded with accidental/disability/life insurance.

Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #20502
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Target Fixation

My humble guess is that the rider looked at the orange barrels & was distracted just long enough so he did not lean over in time...

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #20503
gpounce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
also he's a pretty slow turner and tends to early apex to the inside, probably freezing on the bars a bit too. +1 for trying to shift weight but his upper body tends to be crossed up. agree with the "over his head" crowd- turn was too sharp for his technique & speed, maybe he chopped throttle & or braked when the fear came on & made it worse. variations of that have only happened to me like a million times....
Old 04-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #20504
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I'm no expert, but it looked like the guy never started his turn from the far outside. In these situations I like to use all the lane available to me. It looks like this guy always starts his turn from the middle of the lane.

Cheers,

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #20505
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Not always. The last time I rode through there (2009) I didn't even notice Killboy and didn't realize they'd taken a pic until I got home and looked it up. (And my pic probably came out better because if it.)
I've noticed the Photogs out here tend to try to hide. One guy was setup under a guardrail. I would have never saw him but saw the camera moving tracking me as I leaned into the corner.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote