Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #196
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land

Look at how much tread there is on the front tire in that middle pic. We can rule out bad tires, I think.

(Hiya, Clay! )

Chris
Yeah, note how you don't really see tread in the first picture, nor do you clearly see tread on the rear tire in the second.

To me it looks like his hard parts have levered his front wheel right off the ground, and he may have even grabbed a bit of brake after this happened.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #197
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,716
Well, the guy in the OP is still a mystery, though I think at least two people have claimed to be him. I guess he's preferring to stay in the shadows.

So... just so we know we all make mistakes. Here's my bike on the Dragon during my first trip there:

It was a completely noob mistake. I skidded the rear tire when I got spooked around a right corner. You'll notice my bike ended up on the inside of the turn.

I think the most rewarding part of the incident is the couple on a Harley who stopped to help. The woman was amazed that I slid down the highway and was completely unhurt. She was wearing jeans and a tanktop.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #198
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
I agree that the road doesn't belong to him (as an individual, anyway), but he does have a right to expect that oncoming traffic will not be in his lane. The lane "belongs" to him in that sense.

All the best,
Chris
Well, you can expect it, but it would be insane to count on it. Sometimes I wish there were forcefields instead of just lines painted on the ground.

"He was right, dead right as he rode along, but he's just as dead as if he'd been dead wrong." - David Hough
Old 04-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #199
SCQTT OP
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:

Look at how much tread there is on the front tire in that middle pic. We can rule out bad tires, I think.

(Hiya, Clay! )

Chris

FYI a 100% bald tire has more traction in the dry than one with grooves.

Grooves in a tire are only there to evacuate water.

Also looks to me like he lost the front end by levering it off the ground by draging hard parts.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #200
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
Well, the guy in the OP is still a mystery, though I think at least two people have claimed to be him. I guess he's preferring to stay in the shadows.
Oh, there's enough info here to figure out who it is, at least in relation to an inmate who has posted in this thread. One guy is who he claims to be, and he does not claim to be the guy in the thread-opening pic.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #201
Land
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT

Oh, I know. I was a poor(er) rider at one time, too, and I glanced at a race bike once. I was just pointing out that he grabbed a whole fistful of brake within a very, very short time after waving at the camera.

Quote:
Also looks to me like he lost the front end by levering it off the ground by draging hard parts.
Yep. That'd be my conjecture, as well. I have one of those under my belt from when I had been riding for about 10 years. (I would use the excuse that it was on my father's bike, but I'd then be honor bound to admit that I had sold him the bike after having owned it for a couple of years and about 15K, so I just won't mention that. )

Chris
Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #202
Land
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
Well, you can expect it, but it would be insane to count on it. Sometimes I wish there were forcefields instead of just lines painted on the ground.

"He was right, dead right as he rode along, but he's just as dead as if he'd been dead wrong." - David Hough
Hey, I'm with you, but we do count on it. I'm not saying that it's not insane to, but we all count on it every time we get on the road.

Chris
Old 04-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #203
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:

Um, Not really. You're forgetting about how a tire is manufactured. The first few layers of a street tire are very hard and have almost no grip. They are there to give the tire its shape and rigidity. A race slick and a bald street tire do not have much in common other than being round.

Carry on with the flaming
Old 04-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #204
SCQTT OP
Zwei Kolben

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gravy*
Um, Not really. You're forgetting about how a tire is manufactured. The first few layers of a street tire are very hard and have almost no grip. They are there to give the tire its shape and rigidity. A race slick and a bald street tire do not have much in common other than being round.

Sorry, I am right and you are wrong. Tread is to get rid of water, not to provide grip. Grooves even make tires more slippery, the treadblocks squirm too much. This is why we see ultra performance street tires with almost no grooves.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #205
FILLETI
mild asphalt allergy

Oddometer: 184
Wink Theory

If I had to take a guess at what the hardley rider did?

1. showboating instead of braking
2. late breaking while leaning, locking the front
3. Flop, skid, roadrash, regret
4. headed to nearest dealer to replace the chrome

I doubt he was suprised by where his 10lb floorboads are located relative to the road (benefit of the doubt). Hope he was alright and bought some gear with his new chrome bits.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #206
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gravy*

+100
Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #207
SCQTT OP
Zwei Kolben

OK BEEMERPECKER & Gravy I can't wait for you guys to come up with something to validate your point. I'm very interested in your opinion.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #208
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
OK BEEMERPECKER & Gravy I can't wait for you guys to come up with something to validate your point. I'm very interested in your opinion.
I'm not either of them, but I know what they're getting at.

All else being equal, a tire with tread blocks will have less grip than a tire with a slick surface, if the road is clean and dry. But not all is equal. A road tire that has worn down to a 'slick' surface is all out of the compound the manufacturer ever intended you to actually use on the road surface. Now you're down into the construction layers, not the traction layers.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #209
Salvate
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 S

Oddometer: 6
If a may submit thought...

http://jalopnik.com/5168730/stop+mot...-of-the-dragon

just my .002

My grammer so sucketh on a fine friday afternoon, time to go for a ride :)

Salvate screwed with this post 04-24-2009 at 11:54 AM
Salvate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #210
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Sorry, I am right and you are wrong. Tread is to get rid of water, not to provide grip. Grooves even make tires more slippery, the treadblocks squirm too much. This is why we see ultra performance street tires with almost no grooves.
What you said is that a 100% bald tire has more traction than a grooved tire an a dry surface. That statement is completely incorrect.

A state of "baldness" is achieved by wear. By the time a tire's tread is worn off to such a point that it is "bald", the tire is shit. Not only has the tire's structure been compromised by loss of material at this stage, the tire has been through so many heat cycles that the rubber that is left, if any, has dried out and hardened and most likely has the coefficient of friction of a brick. More contact area does not necessarily mean more traction; I don't care what the tread is there or not there for.

I'll take a new Shinko cruiser tire over a "bald" Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP every day of the week.

On the other the other hand, on a dry, clean well maintained asphalt track, I'll take a new warmed up Bridgestone Superbike Slick in medium compound over any treaded tire.

There is no doubt that a new purpose built "treadless" tire has more grip than a new treaded tire under the right conditions, but that's not what you said, or implied.

Sorry----Gravy is right and you are wrong.

P.S.---- Tell Bubba Stewart that the treadblocks on his tires are not there for traction and only to evacuate water. I'd like to hear his answer.

BEEMERPECKER screwed with this post 04-24-2009 at 12:11 PM
BEEMERPECKER is offline   Reply With Quote