Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #21646
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post

Only one visible license plate in the group, and it's the same guy who still has turn signals. The other guys just might get to bring home a TN award, handwritten on a beautiful multipart paper form!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #21647
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
Only one visible license plate in the group, and it's the same guy who still has turn signals. The other guys just might get to bring home a TN award, handwritten on a beautiful multipart paper form!
Not all states require MCs to have turn signals. (only 18 states require them)

TN is one that does NOT require them.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #21648
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Not all states require MCs to have turn signals. (only 18 states require them)

TN is one that does NOT require them.
Sure, but haven't they been a federal DOT requirement going on almost 40 years?

ac
avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #21649
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
Sure, but haven't they been a federal DOT requirement going on almost 40 years?

ac
Nope. There are DOT requirements listing specifications for signals IF used. But there is no DOT requirement to have them on NON-Commercial vehicles.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #21650
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post

another hack job failure having fun at our expense

I met him at the 2 stroke rally last year. That bike is far from a hack job. FZR brakes, egt gauges, ignition hooked up to a smart phone so he can change ignition maps on the fly. Looks like crap. He's got a sticker on the tank that says "What a fuckin toilet"

The rd400 he had down there was way more impressive though. Had a full on sand drag banshee motor in it. Said he couldn't make a full pass there on a full tank of fuel with that bike.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #21651
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Made my first trip to the Dragon...

Just got back from the Can-Am Spyder Owner's Event out in Maggie Valley this past week... had a blast. BRP puts on a really nice gig, great rides, great free food. If you check out Killboy or 129Slayer for 13-14 June, you're likely to find PLENTY of Spyder fail.

During my trip the GF and I finally got to ride the Dragon after reading about it all these years (alas, on the Spyder instead of my bike). My noob impressions:

1. There are a LOT of grumpy poseurs on this board: make no mistake, the Dragon *is* objectively a great road if all you're counting is quality corners and solid pavement.

2. That said, it was only great for us because we woke up dog early to leave Maggie Valley at 6 am on Friday in order to beat the Dragon rush. Riding it ~8:30 am on a chilly Friday morning, there wasn't a *single* rider or car ahead or behind us on either our pass north or return south. When empty, it's a great road.

3. However, I'm positive when it's NOT empty, that road is a nightmare. I spent a lot of time in the area riding behind slooooow bike and car traffic afraid of any kind of cornering. All these awesome twisty roads in the Smokies, and time & again the riders turn them into straight lanes at ~15 mph. I imagine I'd prefer to swallow a basket of hornets than be stuck behind a parade on 129.

4. This was my first rally, and I learned a valuable lesson within the first few hours: group rides are NOT for me. While it was awesome to be around a zillion other Spyders for the first time, there wasn't anything great about being BEHIND said Spyders, especially the ancient retirees trucking along on their RT's. I bought my Spyder because it's like taking an ATV onto pavement, it's unique fun in its own way and a great change of pace from riding two wheels. Alas, it's obvious many owners bought them because they're too infirm to ride two wheels-- and they're still afraid of *three*. Yeah, the Smokies scenery is nice, but I've got pretty mountains here at home, too-- what I *don't* have are those great roads, and I wanted to ride them, dagnabbit!

Oh well-- I love the old riders, too: they were great people to meet and hang out with, DECADES of motorcycling experience. Besides, they keep Can-Am in business, so more fun for me!

Anyway... I don't recall failing too much on the road. It's definitely technical, but nothing too insane. I had no idea where the cameras were set up, so I made sure to spend as much time hugging the WHITE lines to ensure I didn't embarrass myself in this thread.

However, here are the obligatory pics, so fail away, I'm at your mercy!

* Disclaimer: I'll save you the first fail-- no matter that I've bought her three pairs of armored pants, the GF still insists on wearing plain old jeans while riding most of the time. Not happy with it, but it's her choice, and at least she gears up everywhere else.

daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #21652
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,073
Great report, Dave.

But... izzattacartire?

Sorry.

--Bill
Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #21653
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

4. This was my first rally, and I learned a valuable lesson within the first few hours: group rides are NOT for me. ...................

Oh well-- I love the old riders, too: they were great people to meet and hang out with, DECADES of motorcycling experience. ............

I don't do "group" rides, but riding with 3-6 other riders with similar skill, and all enjoy a spirited ride is great fun.

This spring my riding consisted of a group of 2 to as many as 7, but we all string out, and ride our own ride, no "rules" just have fun. Believe me when I say, we don't hold up 99% of the sport bike riders out there, in fact they hold us up! And the average age is about 60, ranging from 29-74. In fact the 29 year old rides from Texas to ride with us.

Just to give you an idea of our pace I wore out a new set of pilot ROAD 2ct, after 2700 miles.WooHoo BTW, front was worn out too, this is not from burnouts.
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #21654
bess227
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Gremlin bell. It's a device used by idiots to enhance the notion it's not their fault when they have to lay 'er down.
EPIC!

this has to be my all time favorite definition of the gremlin bell. work with a guy that managed a Harley shop for 10 years and he is still laughing his hind parts off.

thanks for the chuckle
Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #21655
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Great report, Dave.

But... izzattacartire?

Sorry.

--Bill
Ha! Actually, technically the Spyder's rear OEM Kenda *is* a motorcycle tire, and not a car tire. That said, plenty of owners run car tires back there when time comes to replace it, there ain't much lean back there as you might imagine . I already replaced it with another OEM after 10K miles, so I might consider the "dark side" the next time around to try to eke out some more miles.

The fronts on these things, however, squish like mad in the turn. The Spyder's got a super-fancy traction control system (aka the "Nanny") to help "even out" the tendency to lift an inside wheel on a turn, adjusting braking and slip to keep you planted. I don't normally ride all that aggressively when two-up, but this past week I couldn't avoid it on the Dragon (the GF offered to let me ride alone after our passes but the road was already building up and we had a lunch to get to).

I'll just say that in two years of owning the bike, I *never* tripped the Nanny as much as I did riding two-up on the Dragon.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #21656
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,204
Quote:
However, here are the obligatory pics, so fail away, I'm at your mercy!

Are those the new Aerostich Chuck Taylor's you're wearing?

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #21657
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
You have a sharp eye for fashion
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #21658
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
. While it was awesome to be around a zillion other Spyders for the first time, there wasn't anything great about being BEHIND said Spyders, especially the ancient retirees trucking along on their RT's.

No wait, you drive a Spyder and down talk RTs? (Please note, "drive", not ride.) Too funny.

Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #21659
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-street-shoes

Very nice riding shoe. Not as protective as my big boots obviously, but protective enough since I don't have to put my feet down on the Spyder.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #21660
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbocaj View Post
No wait, you drive a Spyder and down talk RTs? (Please note, "drive", not ride.) Too funny.
What can I say? There's ALWAYS a pecking order.