ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #23131
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer
 
gravityisnotmyfriend's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: ((kg*m)/s^2), IA, USA
Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
His line looks way too inside for this part of the corner. He should be over near the white line to catch the apex.
Are you familiar with this particular corner? I'm not. I'm guessing by his lean angle that he's about 1/2 way through a 180 switchback. That was just my impression. If he's half way through, he's right where he should be. Well, he's a little left of where he should be.

If this isn't a 180 turn, then yeah - he's way too close too far left.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #23132
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
Should his body not be leaning more other the other side of the bike
There's only so much to move over with a rider's legs and feet that far forward.

Lean too much of your butt off with your feet up that high ahd that far forward, and chances are many wouldn't be able to get their butt back on the saddle. This is why sport bike ergonomics are such that it's easier to use the inner thigh to pull yourself back up.

Could he lean over more? Possibly, but with a much increased amunt of time to get back up.

He gave up certain abilities when he chose a bike with such forward controls, although it does seem he gained some footpeg clearance vs. other cruisers.
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #23133
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A
 
KilLeR Kawasaki's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Are you familiar with this particular corner? I'm not. I'm guessing by his lean angle that he's about 1/2 way through a 180 switchback. That was just my impression. If he's half way through, he's right where he should be. Well, he's a little left of where he should be.

If this isn't a 180 turn, then yeah - he's way too close too far left.
I think this is a 90 degree turn. You can see most of the turn from the photo. Not sure what precedes it. It must be hard to athletically move your weight to the inside when your feet and buttocks are on the same plane.

__________________
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Honda XR400R
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #23134
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen
 
Andyvh1959's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Da frozen tundra, 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post
IF this rider made the turn I'd be surprised. Dragging hard parts, sparks flying, WAY to the inside line on a RH turn leading directly into a LH turn. On the brakes (brake light blazing). Bike loaded and low. No body english at all (I have seen capable HD riders hang off inside of turns). Fail, fail, fail all over!

To set up for that LH his bike should be much nearer the center line than he is at now. IF he made the RH turn I doubt he could do anything but slow WAY down quickly while straight up before leaning into the LH turn. Turns are mostly about setup, once you're in them your correction choices are much less, and have to happen MUCH quicker.
__________________
When life throws you a curve,.....lean into it!
42+ year rider, 22+ year MSF Coach, Street, Dirt, Ice, ride em all!
Andyvh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #23135
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post

Good smile... and an unusual ride.
She certainly seems to be enjoying herself. I agree with comments about the rider's helmet and taste in paint-jobs (to each his/her-own I guess).

My first observation was to wonder how the heck she can see anything on the road closer than about twenty or thirty feet in front of her - and that would be looking through the flyscreen, rather than over it.

Secondly, I'm curious why one would want to add the lower panel that appears to be hiding a radiator when (unless I'm very much mistaken) the bike is based on a good old-fashioned air-cooled Harley.

Finally, if the graffiti is to be believed, she has taken that bike quite a few places that most pirates only dream of, so kudos is due there. I'm assuming the bike doesn't always travel by trailer due to the top box, coz I don't know why you'd add onle like that unless you needed the space to actually carry something with you on the bike.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #23136
Jarvis
DC GSer
 
Jarvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Washington DC
Oddometer: 10,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
So wait, are you trying to fault a guy for riding dead center in his lane?
Woman. Fail.
__________________
Support DC voting rights.
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #23137
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A
 
KilLeR Kawasaki's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Oddometer: 928
Biggest fail is no eye protection with visor up.
__________________
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Honda XR400R
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #23138
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak View Post
helmet seems a bit disproportionately large

big hair?


or bubble headed alien?
Reminds me of this little guy...

__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #23139
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
She certainly seems to be enjoying herself. I agree with comments about the rider's helmet and taste in paint-jobs (to each his/her-own I guess).

My first observation was to wonder how the heck she can see anything on the road closer than about twenty or thirty feet in front of her - and that would be looking through the flyscreen, rather than over it.

Secondly, I'm curious why one would want to add the lower panel that appears to be hiding a radiator when (unless I'm very much mistaken) the bike is based on a good old-fashioned air-cooled Harley.

Finally, if the graffiti is to be believed, she has taken that bike quite a few places that most pirates only dream of, so kudos is due there. I'm assuming the bike doesn't always travel by trailer due to the top box, coz I don't know why you'd add onle like that unless you needed the space to actually carry something with you on the bike.
No radiator. That is indeed an air cooled Harley.

According to folks who were there that day, she is from England. More power to her!

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #23140
thetable
Beastly Adventurer
 
thetable's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Western Loudoun Co, VA
Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
My first observation was to wonder how the heck she can see anything on the road closer than about twenty or thirty feet in front of her - and that would be looking through the flyscreen, rather than over it.
Relevance? At 20 MPH, 30ft ahead is only looking one second ahead. Personally, I take off my front fender because it blocks my view of the road.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #23141
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
There's only so much to move over with a rider's legs and feet that far forward.

Lean too much of your butt off with your feet up that high ahd that far forward, and chances are many wouldn't be able to get their butt back on the saddle. This is why sport bike ergonomics are such that it's easier to use the inner thigh to pull yourself back up.

Could he lean over more? Possibly, but with a much increased amunt of time to get back up.

He gave up certain abilities when he chose a bike with such forward controls, although it does seem he gained some footpeg clearance vs. other cruisers.
Ummm...


Have you ever sat on a dual sport or supermoto?
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #23142
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
According to folks who were there that day, she is from England. More power to her!
That would explain the Union Jack
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #23143
kbasa
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 65,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
I just noticed that Envious was part of the 2nd definition of Jealous. That being said, there really is a distinction between the words. They are different emotions/resentments. Envy makes it to the number six postion in the seven deadly sins.

From the Wikipedia article on the Seven Deadly Sins.


Envy

Like greed and lust, Envy (Latin, invidia) is characterized by an insatiable desire. Envy is similar to jealousy in that they both feel discontent towards someone's traits, status, abilities, or rewards. The difference is the envious also desire the entity and covet it.
Envy can be directly related to the Ten Commandments, specifically, "Neither shall you desire... anything that belongs to your neighbour." Dante defined this as "a desire to deprive other men of theirs". In Dante's Purgatory, the punishment for the envious is to have their eyes sewn shut with wire because they have gained sinful pleasure from seeing others brought low. Aquinas described envy as "sorrow for another's good".

(Just trying to raise the quality of discourse on this cursed thread!)
I think the grammar forum is over on www.librarians.com, if you'd like to take your stupid argument elsewhere.

Thanks.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #23144
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
I am liking the old bike look the bike has. I bet if it had some dirt and grease on it people would think it is pre 1950.
It has dirt and grease on it. I live up a three mile gravel road here in WNC.
Most people think it is a old bike like they think my Ural and W650 are old bikes. I get tired of correcting them so let them believe it.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC 2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB hard tail bobber
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A Z50 clone monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #23145
Mark_O
Drain Bamaged
 
Mark_O's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Moran Nation
Oddometer: 14,851


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
IF this rider made the turn I'd be surprised. Dragging hard parts, sparks flying, WAY to the inside line on a RH turn leading directly into a LH turn. On the brakes (brake light blazing). Bike loaded and low. No body english at all (I have seen capable HD riders hang off inside of turns). Fail, fail, fail all over!

To set up for that LH his bike should be much nearer the center line than he is at now. IF he made the RH turn I doubt he could do anything but slow WAY down quickly while straight up before leaning into the LH turn. Turns are mostly about setup, once you're in them your correction choices are much less, and have to happen MUCH quicker.

Cut him some slack, he's handicapped.
__________________
Sarcasm, just one more free service I provide.
Mark_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014