Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #23131
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
His line looks way too inside for this part of the corner. He should be over near the white line to catch the apex.
Are you familiar with this particular corner? I'm not. I'm guessing by his lean angle that he's about 1/2 way through a 180 switchback. That was just my impression. If he's half way through, he's right where he should be. Well, he's a little left of where he should be.

If this isn't a 180 turn, then yeah - he's way too close too far left.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #23132
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
Should his body not be leaning more other the other side of the bike
There's only so much to move over with a rider's legs and feet that far forward.

Lean too much of your butt off with your feet up that high ahd that far forward, and chances are many wouldn't be able to get their butt back on the saddle. This is why sport bike ergonomics are such that it's easier to use the inner thigh to pull yourself back up.

Could he lean over more? Possibly, but with a much increased amunt of time to get back up.

He gave up certain abilities when he chose a bike with such forward controls, although it does seem he gained some footpeg clearance vs. other cruisers.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #23133
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Are you familiar with this particular corner? I'm not. I'm guessing by his lean angle that he's about 1/2 way through a 180 switchback. That was just my impression. If he's half way through, he's right where he should be. Well, he's a little left of where he should be.

If this isn't a 180 turn, then yeah - he's way too close too far left.
I think this is a 90 degree turn. You can see most of the turn from the photo. Not sure what precedes it. It must be hard to athletically move your weight to the inside when your feet and buttocks are on the same plane.

Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #23134
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post
IF this rider made the turn I'd be surprised. Dragging hard parts, sparks flying, WAY to the inside line on a RH turn leading directly into a LH turn. On the brakes (brake light blazing). Bike loaded and low. No body english at all (I have seen capable HD riders hang off inside of turns). Fail, fail, fail all over!

To set up for that LH his bike should be much nearer the center line than he is at now. IF he made the RH turn I doubt he could do anything but slow WAY down quickly while straight up before leaning into the LH turn. Turns are mostly about setup, once you're in them your correction choices are much less, and have to happen MUCH quicker.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #23135
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post

Good smile... and an unusual ride.
She certainly seems to be enjoying herself. I agree with comments about the rider's helmet and taste in paint-jobs (to each his/her-own I guess).

My first observation was to wonder how the heck she can see anything on the road closer than about twenty or thirty feet in front of her - and that would be looking through the flyscreen, rather than over it.

Secondly, I'm curious why one would want to add the lower panel that appears to be hiding a radiator when (unless I'm very much mistaken) the bike is based on a good old-fashioned air-cooled Harley.

Finally, if the graffiti is to be believed, she has taken that bike quite a few places that most pirates only dream of, so kudos is due there. I'm assuming the bike doesn't always travel by trailer due to the top box, coz I don't know why you'd add onle like that unless you needed the space to actually carry something with you on the bike.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #23136
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
So wait, are you trying to fault a guy for riding dead center in his lane?
Woman. Fail.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #23137
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 928
Biggest fail is no eye protection with visor up.
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #23138
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak View Post
helmet seems a bit disproportionately large

big hair?

or bubble headed alien?
Reminds me of this little guy...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #23139
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
She certainly seems to be enjoying herself. I agree with comments about the rider's helmet and taste in paint-jobs (to each his/her-own I guess).

My first observation was to wonder how the heck she can see anything on the road closer than about twenty or thirty feet in front of her - and that would be looking through the flyscreen, rather than over it.

Secondly, I'm curious why one would want to add the lower panel that appears to be hiding a radiator when (unless I'm very much mistaken) the bike is based on a good old-fashioned air-cooled Harley.

Finally, if the graffiti is to be believed, she has taken that bike quite a few places that most pirates only dream of, so kudos is due there. I'm assuming the bike doesn't always travel by trailer due to the top box, coz I don't know why you'd add onle like that unless you needed the space to actually carry something with you on the bike.
No radiator. That is indeed an air cooled Harley.

According to folks who were there that day, she is from England. More power to her!

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #23140
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Relevance? At 20 MPH, 30ft ahead is only looking one second ahead. Personally, I take off my front fender because it blocks my view of the road.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #23141
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
There's only so much to move over with a rider's legs and feet that far forward.

Lean too much of your butt off with your feet up that high ahd that far forward, and chances are many wouldn't be able to get their butt back on the saddle. This is why sport bike ergonomics are such that it's easier to use the inner thigh to pull yourself back up.

Could he lean over more? Possibly, but with a much increased amunt of time to get back up.

He gave up certain abilities when he chose a bike with such forward controls, although it does seem he gained some footpeg clearance vs. other cruisers.
Ummm...

Have you ever sat on a dual sport or supermoto?
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #23142
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
According to folks who were there that day, she is from England. More power to her!
That would explain the Union Jack
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #23143
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
I just noticed that Envious was part of the 2nd definition of Jealous. That being said, there really is a distinction between the words. They are different emotions/resentments. Envy makes it to the number six postion in the seven deadly sins.

From the Wikipedia article on the Seven Deadly Sins.

Envy

Like greed and lust, Envy (Latin, invidia) is characterized by an insatiable desire. Envy is similar to jealousy in that they both feel discontent towards someone's traits, status, abilities, or rewards. The difference is the envious also desire the entity and covet it.
Envy can be directly related to the Ten Commandments, specifically, "Neither shall you desire... anything that belongs to your neighbour." Dante defined this as "a desire to deprive other men of theirs". In Dante's Purgatory, the punishment for the envious is to have their eyes sewn shut with wire because they have gained sinful pleasure from seeing others brought low. Aquinas described envy as "sorrow for another's good".

(Just trying to raise the quality of discourse on this cursed thread!)
I think the grammar forum is over on www.librarians.com, if you'd like to take your stupid argument elsewhere.

Thanks.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #23144
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
I am liking the old bike look the bike has. I bet if it had some dirt and grease on it people would think it is pre 1950.
It has dirt and grease on it. I live up a three mile gravel road here in WNC.
Most people think it is a old bike like they think my Ural and W650 are old bikes. I get tired of correcting them so let them believe it.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #23145
Mark_O
Drain Bamaged

Oddometer: 14,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
IF this rider made the turn I'd be surprised. Dragging hard parts, sparks flying, WAY to the inside line on a RH turn leading directly into a LH turn. On the brakes (brake light blazing). Bike loaded and low. No body english at all (I have seen capable HD riders hang off inside of turns). Fail, fail, fail all over!

To set up for that LH his bike should be much nearer the center line than he is at now. IF he made the RH turn I doubt he could do anything but slow WAY down quickly while straight up before leaning into the LH turn. Turns are mostly about setup, once you're in them your correction choices are much less, and have to happen MUCH quicker.

Cut him some slack, he's handicapped.