Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #23416
Squarehead
Crazed Lunatic

Oddometer: 55
I just titled a custom bike for a fella here in Montana. First one for me, Just followed the title manual. It was pretty straight forward, a couple of inspections, MCO for the Frame that has a VIN, invoices for the major components. Regular price, $95 for perm plates.

2004 R1150RS, anybody wanna trade for a 1150GS ???
Squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #23417
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,335
[QUOTE=Chivvalry;22098339]
Not positive but I parked next to a very similar looking bike and girl this morning at Moto Gp, extremely militant Lesbian, Just seemed angry about everything, I said good morning as she was taking her gear off and got back a Yea Whatever!! when another lady got off her Husbands bike and commented that she loved those BMW's the girl looked at her and said you should get one and walked away. This afternoon after the race we were putting our gear back on at the same time when another rider walked by and said I like your bike and she threw her hands up and just grunted. Just a pissed off person I guess. I just don't get how you could come to place like that and not want to talk about Motorcycles!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #23418
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
[QUOTE=car94;22129061]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post

Not positive but I parked next to a very similar looking bike and girl this morning at Moto Gp, extremely militant Lesbian, Just seemed angry about everything, I said good morning as she was taking her gear off and got back a Yea Whatever!! when another lady got off her Husbands bike and commented that she loved those BMW's the girl looked at her and said you should get one and walked away. This afternoon after the race we were putting our gear back on at the same time when another rider walked by and said I like your bike and she threw her hands up and just grunted. Just a pissed off person I guess. I just don't get how you could come to place like that and not want to talk about Motorcycles!
Maybe she's gotten some grief from being on the internets crashing her expensive bike...
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #23419
KaHOnas
One big piston

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
Maybe she's gotten some grief from being on the internets crashing her expensive bike...
Pfft, they're not that expensive. Heck, I own three.

All kidding aside, it does go to prove that no matter how many cool systems and such (ABS, traction control, engine management, et cetera), you can still crash it, be it through over-confidence, inattention or just being an appropriately incompetent rider.

I hate to see an S1000 get scraped like that.

This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
It's not an adventure unless you lose your pants.
KaHOnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #23420
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Earlier in this thread somebody mentioned his LOUD PIPES scare the shit out of deer. (Too late in the day to try to find it again.) While I hate loud pipes, just wondered if any of you have found this to be true? Do LOUD PIPES riders not experience the collisions with deer that are a real danger to those of us with stock exhausts?

My guess is that this is bullshit. I recently fired a 12 gauge shotgun over the heads of 5 deer feeding in my neighbor's vegetable garden. (Yes, we live out in the country.) All heads came up for a look at me, then went back to their browsing. Light bird shot into the butt of the closest dear did send him scampering and the other deer slowly left. Told the story to a friend who used to live on the Queen Charlotte Islands. The annual bag limit of these small deer was 10 and he took them with head shots to avoid meat loss with a 30.06. He recalled missing a close deer 3 times (because the scope was wonky) and the deer simply ignored the noise.

But maybe the constant sound of a loud exhaust is different in its effect on deer than gunshots? Probably the wrong thread, but the topic did come up here.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #23421
gpounce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
If you want to scare the deer, do it like you should if you want your bike's noise to make other drivers more aware; tape down the horn button. Much better than loud pipes because the sound is aimed forward, where all the danger is. Or, mod the pipes so they aim forward. Seems to me loud pipes out the back is the least effective approach.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #23422
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 872
I recommend a cd with five Black & Tans barking their heads off. Any thing else will probably attract NC deer.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #23423
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounce View Post
If you want to scare the deer, do it like you should if you want your bike's noise to make other drivers more aware; tape down the horn button. Much better than loud pipes because the sound is aimed forward, where all the danger is. Or, mod the pipes so they aim forward. Seems to me loud pipes out the back is the least effective approach.
That is what I tell the "loud pipes save lives" advocates. Tape down your horn.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #23424
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
Earlier in this thread somebody mentioned his LOUD PIPES scare the shit out of deer. (Too late in the day to try to find it again.) While I hate loud pipes, just wondered if any of you have found this to be true? Do LOUD PIPES riders not experience the collisions with deer that are a real danger to those of us with stock exhausts?
Probably about as effective as the whistles. I can honk at the ones around here all I want to, and the just sit and look at me like WTF. A couple braps and they'll usually scatter, although yesterday, I did run into two that just stared me down until they got ready to go on their own terms; no amount of revving, horn honking, or light flashing got any reaction.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #23425
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:

My guess is that this is bullshit. I recently fired a 12 gauge shotgun over the heads of 5 deer feeding in my neighbor's vegetable garden. (Yes, we live out in the country.) All heads came up for a look at me, then went back to their browsing. Light bird shot into the butt of the closest dear did send him scampering and the other deer slowly left. Told the story to a friend who used to live on the Queen Charlotte Islands. The annual bag limit of these small deer was 10 and he took them with head shots to avoid meat loss with a 30.06. He recalled missing a close deer 3 times (because the scope was wonky) and the deer simply ignored the noise.

But maybe the constant sound of a loud exhaust is different in its effect on deer than gunshots? Probably the wrong thread, but the topic did come up here.
Figuring out what a deer is going to do is as hard as figuring out what a woman is going to do.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #23426
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Rain, rain, rain go away, I wanna go ride the Dragon so the will have something to fail.
I know that it is a fail if I won't go pleasure riding when it is raining so hold that .
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #23427
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
works about half the time.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #23428
trumpet
Group W Bench

Oddometer: 1,386
Loud pipes scare deer?

Want to scare deer, grab you slug gun.

Loud pipes don't scare turkeys either.
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #23429
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
Loud pipes scare deer?

Want to scare deer, grab you slug gun.

Loud pipes don't scare turkeys either.
or turkey vultures.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #23430
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:

My guess is that this is bullshit. ......
I agree! The louder than stock pipes on my Ducati did not prevent a deer from trying to hitch hike a ride with me a couple of years ago.

Fortunately I survived, but the deer? Lets just say that the deer wasn't wearing the same level of protective gear as I was.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote