Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #24706
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
WRONG LEG !!
I'm betting he's a racer. It's sort of customary to wave or leg out like that to the corner workers after a race, on the cool down lap.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #24707
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post
Have you tried the heros or just the contour? I like the unobtrusiveness of the contour but have heard the heros have better quality and features.
I like the Contour becase it's not the size of a brick. It will record in 1080p with good sound, but the wind noise is worse than on a gopro. The pic above is just a screen grab, so it's not the best looking. It's also mounted on my tank shroud, so there's a little shudder at certain RPM as well.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #24708
Bleemus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
Pulled some contour vids, this guy.... this guy...

That douchebag is gonna end up as a hood ornament or kill another biker.
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #24709
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I think so too. Pics don't lie. Van is a shitty driver clearly over the yellow. Rider panics and jams rear brake.
Rider had rear wheel locked and smoking when he was about 5 feet away laterally from the van. Then as he was going down he slid to the outside and that's the only reason he was anywhere near the van. Pics don't lie. (Unless they're Photoshops, LOL.)

Rider panicked and locked up after from dragging hard parts, not because of the van.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #24710
RDTCU
Banned

Meant to post this the other day too, took this of a friend of mine on Wednesday night.

and this was further down south on Friday, spot the guys with no experience on slippery wet rocks
(No real damage, the SXV was already busted up from being, well, ridden in Chicago...)

Old 10-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #24711
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,739
Quote:
Meant to post this the other day too, took this of a friend of mine on Wednesday night.

and this was further down south on Friday, spot the guys with no experience on slippery wet rocks
(No real damage, the SXV was already busted up from being, well, ridden in Chicago...)

Thanks for the laugh...

What does the guy with the blue bike have around his neck..

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #24712
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
was there Sat, what a farkin circus

Friend from previous job wanted to "ride the dragon", French engineer on Sportster

did pretty good all weekend

saw 2 crashes on the Gap, one right beside 129.com

start here

http://xtremesportsphotography.photo...00&po=0&pc=145

somebody post 'em up, I'm tired

since the Gov shutdown CLOSED THE FOOTHILLS PARKWAY (WTF??), the ricky racers were coming the back way to Happy Valley road

saw a bad "off the road" who was airlifted out

amazing that the BRP was open (Pisgah Lodge was forced to close even though it's run by a PRIVATE concession by the same family since 1977)
but there were 4 Parkway ranger/cop types making sure no one entered the parking lot ... armed even :wtf

so no money saved by paying the BRP employees, but revenue lost from customers who had to leave their rooms, and NO BRP employees work in the Lodge, again it's private contractor.

Cades cove road was blocked and manned too.

stoopid politics sh!theads

we now step off the soap box and return you to your fail analysis
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #24713
RDTCU
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
What does the guy with the blue bike have around his neck..
Self-inflating neck brace that pops out when you pull the tether from the bike.

He should have unhooked it before going offroad...

It's repackable with a new CO2 cartridge, though, so he's not out the $400 for a new one.

He was a streetbike guy without much dirt time, but it was pretty hilarious.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #24714
RDTCU
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak View Post

was there Sat
Cades cove road was blocked and manned too.
Being anywhere near there on a weekend was your first mistake. Almost no traffic all day wed/thurs, at least nothing you couldn't jump around.

As for Cade's Cove, I might know why it was more heavily manned than it was earlier in the week...
Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #24715
majlee_vmi
Tidewater 41009

Oddometer: 392
Quote:

I don't do much off road trail riding, so sorry for the potentially ignorant question, but why stop on the outside of the apex of a turn on the trail? The inside is already clogged with two bikes down and riders trying to get unscrewed; doesn't stopping where they did make it harder for other riders coming around that bend to ride the turn? Just curious - how should it be handled? Pull all the way around the turn and then stop or stop short or what?

thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #24716
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Rider had rear wheel locked and smoking when he was about 5 feet away laterally from the van. Then as he was going down he slid to the outside and that's the only reason he was anywhere near the van. Pics don't lie. (Unless they're Photoshops, LOL.)

Rider panicked and locked up after from dragging hard parts, not because of the van.
You might not want sympathy but youve got it anyway. All the best from Australia, hang in there!
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #24717
RDTCU
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by majlee_vmi View Post
I don't do much off road trail riding, so sorry for the potentially ignorant question, but why stop on the outside of the apex of a turn on the trail? The inside is already clogged with two bikes down and riders trying to get unscrewed; doesn't stopping where they did make it harder for other riders coming around that bend to ride the turn? Just curious - how should it be handled? Pull all the way around the turn and then stop or stop short or what?

thanks
At the slow speeds we were going, with everyone backing up, we weren't really in the way as it's pretty wide right after the rock. There were only those couple guys behind us.

If it were a motocross track, or people were booking through there, we would be nowhere near the outside of a corner
Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #24718
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by majlee_vmi View Post
I don't do much off road trail riding, so sorry for the potentially ignorant question, but why stop on the outside of the apex of a turn on the trail?
Off road you don't so much worry about the concept of an apex. The fastest line might be what you'd call an apex when road riding but most likely isn't. Watch some mx races to see what I mean. Of course, as RDTCU mentioned, they were taking it easy. I myself was actually laying down (off the bike, just resting) on the outside of a turn on an off road ride yesterday. In that case the turn was at the top of a decent hill and the less experienced guys were not making it to the top so it was pretty safe too. ;)
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #24719
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Heard there were a couple of fatalities over the weekend. Something about a car losing control and taking out a group of bikes? Anyone got the scoop?

ETA: Nope, not a group... just 2 bikes. And apparently not actually on the Dragon. From the website:
Quote:
Sadly we report two motorcycle deaths on US 129 today between Yellow Creek Road and and Tapoco (not on the Dragon). Details are still sketchy, but reportedly a car lost control in a corner and hit two motorcycles almost head-on. Car rolled and driver was seriously injured.

SxyRdr screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 11:17 AM
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #24720
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
Heck, No problem... likely just a brit or aussie.