Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 05:21 AM   #241
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Ass****?

No, he's just an opinionated rider that will live long because he remains focused when he rides.

If a rider pulls an asshat move and can’t learn from his asshatery then I too think he should go back to four wheels.
Asshats on four wheels pose a greater danger to others than asshats on two wheels.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:25 AM   #242
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by blammo
I may be wrong on this, but it's my understanding that the road is so tight & winding that 18-wheelers take up the whole road on some of the tighter turns.

Yet another reason to be very attentive while heading through the gap.
It is impossible for 18 wheelers to negotiate that section of road without violating the law numerous times, and enforcement refuses to take action. That pisses me off. Selective enforcement pisses me off. That section of road needs to be closed to trailer truck traffic for the simple reason that they cannot possibly comply with the law.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #243
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori
This assumes that once a rider attains 'goodness', it is a
permanent quality like... say... breathing. If only life were like that.

I think a more accurate statement would be that a rider does not get distracted when he or she is riding well.

Sadly, most humans move often between the land of the human and the realm of the gods. That's why the great Roger Clemens ... in spite of his
numerous Cy Young awards pitched some really shitty games and why
Valentino Rossi falls of his horse from time to time.

In fact, the likes of Nicky Hayden have claimed to get distracted from time to time.

I know it's tough to embrace, but even the good get it wrong from time to time.

Life's like that.

It's what makes all this dumping on the poor GS riding s.o.b. so silly.

It's all a moment in time for which there is nothing but speculation.

well said

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #244
KLRKowboy
can I go to bed yet?

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Here is my read on what happened. I have been to the Dragon several times. That is a comparatively wide turn that has reasonably good sight lines. The traffic coming toward the camera is traveling at about 10-15MPH hence the very upright posture. I suspect that there were some slow moving vehicles in front of them and a lot of activity on the side of the road. Ricky Racer on the sport bike is traveling about 30-35 MPH. The ADV rider adjusted his speed to match the traffic conditions which was the right thing to do. He evaluated that Ricky Racer was already well set intio his line. He gave the roadside activity a generous berth while trying to give Ricky Racer a safe berth as well. At his speed and with my knowledge of that turn he most assuredly had the time and sight lines to evaluate the situation and exercise the option I laid out. I did not excuse his crossing the centerline, but to suggest it's an such an egregious sin is probably not fair or accurate. In this photo it did not create a highly dangerous situation.

I know of any number of places where motorists of all types routinely (50-60% of the vehicles) stray across the centerline in certain curves. I don't do it routinely. I have done it intentionally when I thought it was in the best overall interest of safety, and I have done it accidentally. It happens and shit happens. In my glass house I don't cast stones. Without the full benefit of knowing the totality of the circumstances perhaps you should do the same.

I've been a member here for awhile but as you can see I don't say much, but I gotta say...this is one of the most honest and fair statements on this whole thread.

+100

KLRKowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #245
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4020

I've been a member here for awhile but as you can see I don't say much, but I gotta say...this is one of the most honest and fair statements on this whole thread.

+100
No No No. That post was lame.

There was a complete lack of finger pointing, arm chairing, holier than thou, I'm better than you, BMW bashing, condescending asshatery, colorful metaphors and name calling.

What’s up with that? -1.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #246
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
Point is no one has his point of view here. Is he passing the bike (shadow....Harley ?) calculated a squid hugging the line in the opposit direction doesn't use much of the road in a right hand corner or is he just trying to avoid all the fucking people standing in the road taking pictures ?...

until I see a picture taken from behind the guy looking up the road I'm not passing judgement.
I think that it is laudable that folks want to give this rider the benefit of the doubt.

That shadow isn't a Harley he was passing.

There aren't pictures on the killboy site from the rider's point of view, obviously, but there are several photos from this particular corner and others on the day this photo was taken. It's free to check them out.

Have fun.
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #247
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
He evaluated that Ricky Racer was already well set intio his line. He gave the roadside activity a generous berth while trying to give Ricky Racer a safe berth as well.
We need Marisa Tomei to do "My Cousin Vinny 2: The GS Killboy Failure Debacle" to sort out the forensic evidence and reconstruct the roadside crime scene.

Was there some kind of hazard (such as a stopped bike) on the right edge of the roadway to the right of the photo? If so, Mr. Big-ass BMW would be correct to "split the difference" and aim for the middle of the roadway.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #248
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
We need Marisa Tomei to do "My Cousin Vinny 2: The GS Killboy Failure Debacle" to sort out the forensic evidence and reconstruct the roadside crime scene.

Was there some kind of hazard (such as a stopped bike) on the right edge of the roadway to the right of the photo? If so, Mr. Big-ass BMW would be correct to "split the difference" and aim for the middle of the roadway.
The shadow suggests that somone was on the side of the road to ADV Riders right. I love that movie!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #249
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,818
Quote:
It is impossible for 18 wheelers to negotiate that section of road without violating the law numerous times, and enforcement refuses to take action. That pisses me off. Selective enforcement pisses me off. That section of road needs to be closed to trailer truck traffic for the simple reason that they cannot possibly comply with the law.

Do a traffic count. I've seen more trucks able to negotiate the road than not. It's all a matter of paying attention and understanding their limits.

Beyond that, how else are the people in those areas going to get their provisions? Wish them into existence?
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #250
wolfy_9005
The Wolf

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilybimmer
Can somebody tell me which side of the road do you guys drive on again ?

Stewart
The left, last time i checked.....
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #251
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander
Do a traffic count. I've seen more trucks able to negotiate the road than not. It's all a matter of paying attention and understanding their limits.
Yeah, they can negotiate it. They just can't negotiate it without spending a significant amount of time taking up both lanes -- and then some, in some turns.

I am fully aware that our roadways exist for commerce and defence, mainly, but 129 is just not suitable for tractor-trailer traffic, no matter how skilled the driver.

Quote:
Beyond that, how else are the people in those areas going to get their provisions? Wish them into existence?
Smaller trucks. More expense, I know, but think of the jobs created. Seriously, I'd be curious to know how many regular route drivers in the area who drive semis/articulated trucks do or don't drive the Tail of the Dragon.

Nobody lives on the Tail of the Dragon, as I'm sure you're aware based on your location, so there aren't any people there who need provisions. Well, other than motorcycle riders and others who stop at Deals Gap.

My guess -- and that is all it is, I admit -- is that most of the truck drivers who go over that route do it because they had no idea what they were getting into, despite the signs warning them. It looks like a good shortcut through the mountains on a map or GPS receiver. By the time they get to the stretch of 129 from the "Fugitive Dam" through the Tail of the Dragon, it's either plow through and hope for the best or turn down 28, which also has quite a few turns through which they would have to use all available roadway, and lose all the time they have invested in their shortcut and then some.

Wouldn't you love to see some so-what'd-you-think type interviews with the truck drivers who drive through there?

All the best,
Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #252
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,724
Quote:
The shadow suggests that somone was on the side of the road to ADV Riders right.

The shadow is from the rider that is following him.

Start here http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orde...1060546&po=546 and move forward through the pictures. The rider he was following had no problems, nor did the riders behind him. He just picked a lazy line and got his picture taken doing it.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #253
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4020

+100

silence can be a virtue
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #254
b12xplore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber
The shadow is from the rider that is following him.

Start here http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orde...1060546&po=546 and move forward through the pictures. The rider he was following had no problems, nor did the riders behind him. He just picked a lazy line and got his picture taken doing it.
Problem Solved!
b12xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #255
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:

I'm calling BS on that one. I'd have to see it to believe it. If deliveries need to be made to the area along that stretch of 129 they can use smaller trucks. If not, then the trucks should go around. You are from the area right? Have you ever heard of a trucker being cited for crossing the center line? Do you think they should be?