Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #3301
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Wrong.

I've go a pint of real Vermont Maple Syrup for the person who can tell me why the cows are where they are.

After all they are Vermont cows.

Mooooo.
I can not imagine why you would have (dozens of) pint(s) of Vermont Maple Syrup laying around...

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #3302
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,397
Didn't quite make it to the Dragon

Video posted on another forum (not by me!). Rider's description of what happened below:

"coming down 'the 152 curves' on the 89 other side of jerome. i was riding way too aggressive on an unfamiliar road and not paying attention to the actual road surface.

asphalt was new so still pretty smooth/slick and the rear broke loose on downshift and came out. i was not going to get it back so i got on the front brakes as well and counter steered for the soft-er stuff. got it down to 20mph before it left the road.

at least that is the way i remember it. it happened pretty darn quick.

i regularly take corners like this at 35mph with complete confidence but all of my canyon carving experience has been on mature surfaces.

i think over-confidence and a lack of experience were primary factors in this case.

i was geared up, no injuries (just sore), moderate non-fatal damage to the bike. duct tape, a coat hanger and some redneck engineering prevented this spill from terminating a 400 mile ride for 3 people halfway in.

patched up the bike and finished the second 200 miles with no further incidents.

pics of the damage and roadside redneck engineering to follow.

OK guys, i am ready to take my lumps - fire away.
"

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler

Reryder screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 07:25 PM
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #3303
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,269
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #3304
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt View Post
Ace100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #3305
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder View Post

Video posted on another forum (not by me!). Rider's description of what happened below:

"coming down 'the 152 curves' on the 89 other side of jerome. i was riding way too aggressive on an unfamiliar road and not paying attention to the actual road surface.

asphalt was new so still pretty smooth/slick and the rear broke loose on downshift and came out. i was not going to get it back so i got on the front brakes as well and counter steered for the soft-er stuff. got it down to 20mph before it left the road.

i regularly take corners like this at 35mph with complete confidence but all of my canyon carving experience has been on mature surfaces.

i think over-confidence and a lack of experience were primary factors in this case.

i was geared up, no injuries (just sore), moderate non-fatal damage to the bike. duct tape, a coat hanger and some redneck engineering prevented this spill from terminating a 400 mile ride for 3 people halfway in.

patched up the bike and finished the second 200 miles with no further incidents.

"
Well, at least he was honest about it, rather than making up some lame excuse.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #3306
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder View Post

"
Wow, is it really possible to crash going that slowly?
Must be a pirate thing.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #3307
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Must be a pirate thing.
It's an irrational fear of front brakes. You can tell by the waggle that he locked up the tear brake as he approached the corner. By the time he "got on the front brakes as well" he was plowing dirt clods.
Ace100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #3308
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,102
Well, it could have been that but it coulda been the waggle was caused by catching that downshift he mentioned. I've done that (plenty of times on my Buell lol) .... of course it didn't end like that. Get back on that throttle, son . It woulda straightened back out. You coulda made that easy.

BTW. Never choose to head off the road (unless you have absolutely no other choice ...like an oncoming gravel truck taking up all of a single lane road ). We live on the road, we die in the ditch. Those guardrails/tree/culverts/signs/posts will eff you up much worse than a little rash.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #3309
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Must be a pirate thing.
One day I came up on a sharp curve, narrow country road, pavement slanted downhill with a gravel driveway just before the apex.
I got on the brakes but slid in the washed out driveway, pumping and adjusting my turn angle I just couldn't quite make it. I slowly rode into the ditch on two wheels and came to a stop.

My target was the edge of the road where it should have been the far left and 25yds ahead, my mistake.

The ditch was 2' deep, maybe 3' wide and luckly mostly tall grass, probably slid in at about 20mph. I rode out of it BTW.
ARRR..
One new lower and frame slider fixed be up.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #3310
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Well, it could have been that but it coulda been the waggle was caused by catching that downshift he mentioned. I've done that (plenty of times on my Buell lol) .... of course it didn't end like that. Get back on that throttle, son . It woulda straightened back out. You coulda made that easy.

BTW. Never choose to head off the road (unless you have absolutely no other choice ...like an oncoming gravel truck taking up all of a single lane road ). We live on the road, we die in the ditch. Those guardrails/tree/culverts/signs/posts will eff you up much worse than a little rash.
Did you watch the video, did you hear a downshift? The motor speeds just keeps dropping steadily until it revs a touch during the crash. No downshift that I could tell.

He blamed his crash on a downshift that didn't happen and "slick" asphalt because it was new.

Atleast he finally got the right answer at the end. "i think over-confidence and a lack of experience were primary factors in this case"

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #3311
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,102
lol. I watched it. Twice or thrice. I just don't have any sound on my computer after last night's lightning storm so I'm at a distinct disadvantage in my accident reconstruction. I'll have to take your word for the lack of down-shifting.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #3312
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,440
Was he a stunt driver? Looks like he did it for the camera.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #3313
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Did you watch the video, did you hear a downshift? The motor speeds just keeps dropping steadily until it revs a touch during the crash. No downshift that I could tell.

He blamed his crash on a downshift that didn't happen and "slick" asphalt because it was new.

Atleast he finally got the right answer at the end. "i think over-confidence and a lack of experience were primary factors in this case"
Watch the hand on the clutch, he pulls clutch then revs engine before he lets out clutch. Thats how they downshift. ??
Thats what I seen.
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #3314
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by zDollar Bill View Post
Watch the hand on the clutch, he pulls clutch then revs engine before he lets out clutch. Thats how they downshift. ??
Thats what I seen.
All I see is a handful of clutch and the rear is already waggin, the RPM's never stop dropping so he doesn't let the clutch out nor blip the throttle.

He panicked, grabbed the clutch, hit the rear brake and drove the bike off the road.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #3315
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
All I see is a handful of clutch and the rear is already waggin, the RPM's never stop dropping so he doesn't let the clutch out nor blip the throttle.

He panicked, grabbed the clutch, hit the rear brake and drove the bike off the road.
At the 3 second mark he blips the throttle after he pulls in clutch.
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote