Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #4561
Tirespin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
I thought she was holding down her ring finger, and expressing her preference for The Shocker.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #4562
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
What... no KY for The Shocker?

That strikes me as pretty tasteless and offensive!

WARNING NOTICE!
This post may contain comments and observations that some Advrider readers as well as Cub Scouts travelling via Greyhound bus to a certain un-named convention may find sarcastic and offensive.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #4563
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:

the bottom photo of the hd is fuuny as i wear the same sort of helmet as the lady if i do out door rock climbing .so i wont be the best if you fall off .
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #4564
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
the bottom photo of the hd is fuuny as i wear the same sort of helmet as the lady if i do out door rock climbing .so i wont be the best if you fall off .
That chromed behemoth is a Yamaha Starliner but yeah, I see your point...

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #4565
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Hark! Is that no chin strap on the ridiculously gay dude's chin, with the ridiculously bulbous turtle shell? Riding that ridiculous Yamaha, obviously "covering" for the lady on the back?

I thought only Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston had a "relationship" like that...
Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 AM   #4566
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
i would of thought that be band from the road was it looks a death trap. and i cant think it would corner well ether
I think it would probably corner just fine. It looks like there are tie rods between the wheels, meaning that the wheels themselves turn, not the entire contraption. Can't say that I like it, but I do have to give the owner points for originality.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #4567
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,959
So let me understand this, You're busting on this womens worthless choice for a helmet out of experience because you use the same thing .The difference being she might fall off a motorcycle and you might fall while rock climbing
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #4568
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
The difference being she might fall off a motorcycle and you might fall while rock climbing
wearing a helmet while rock climbing is just as much, or more, for keeping stuff falling from above you from cracking your head open as for protecting your head in a fall. kinda more like a hard hat.

it does also help protect your noggin from being banged into the cliff face when you fall (and are caught by the rope which gradually slows you down and then brings you into the cliff face once your vertical fall is stopped), but it is an entirely different kind of fall and impact from a motorcycle get off. that helmet would work fine for rock climbing...not so fine for a motorcycle crash.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #4569
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
wearing a helmet while rock climbing is just as much, or more, for keeping stuff falling from above you from cracking your head open as for protecting your head in a fall. kinda more like a hard hat.

it does also help protect your noggin from being banged into the cliff face when you fall (and are caught by the rope which gradually slows you down and then brings you into the cliff face once your vertical fall is stopped), but it is an entirely different kind of fall and impact from a motorcycle get off. that helmet would work fine for rock climbing...not so fine for a motorcycle crash.
I don't think thats a rock climbing helmet anyway...just looks like one of those half helmets HD guys wear in states that have a helmet law....

The guy does have a chin strap on you can see the strap on the sides...
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #4570
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I don't think thats a rock climbing helmet anyway...just looks like one of those half helmets HD guys wear in states that have a helmet law....
yes. i was just explaining why a helmet that is not really adequate for riding could be perfectly adequate for rock climbing.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #4571
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
yes. i was just explaining why a helmet that is not really adequate for riding could be perfectly adequate for rock climbing.
I was right there with ya....
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #4572
scottfromboston
Turd poker.

Oddometer: 146
Being an ice-debris magnet, +1 with LittleRedToyota. Almost ate a falling ice axe one day, helmet wouldn't have helped that.

Both of their helmets look like legit DOT helmets - no beanie action there.

2002 FZ-1
1999 SV650 Trackbike
scottfromboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #4573
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I find it sad that the owners and webmasters of http://tailofthedragon.com/ are naive enough to use this explanation...

Quote:
“I went out and looked at where it happened. That motorcycle rider didn’t have much of a chance. He saw the truck way too late and tried to put on the brakes and lay it down, but didn’t get it done.”
in that article to describe the accident.

This article says:
Quote:
He struck the left side of the empty flatbed trailer being pulled behind it.
I am thinking he was coming from where the police cars are in the picture, (He struck the left side of the empty flatbed trailer ) got on the brakes, then the flatbed part of the rig was closing in at neck or shoulder level and that is where the "lay it down" came in to play. Lay it down to avoid body contact with the flatbed, as opposed to the classic "I had to lay 'er down to avoid an accident" technique.

He seemed like a good rider from his video. Sad situation!

scooteraug02 screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 09:07 AM
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:08 AM   #4574
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:

This article says:

I am thinking he was coming from where the police cars are in the picture, (He struck the left side of the empty flatbed trailer ) got on the brakes, then the flatbed part of the rig was closing in at neck or shoulder level and that is where the "lay it down" came in to play. Lay it down to avoid body contact with the flatbed, as opposed to the classic "I had to lay 'er down to avoid an accident" technique.

He seemed like a good rider from his video. Sad situation!
I know it dilutes the message of justifiable ridicule of the untrained/ignorant riders who think that "lay'er down" is a viable accident avoidance technique, but this has always struck me as the acceptable exception to said ridicule. If you had two choices-- swerve or brake-- and you chose brake, only to discover something is going to take your head off (jacknifed tractor trailer being a fan favorite), there's no dishonor in throwing the bike down. Ditto the "Oh crud, I ran off the road, I'm about to sail over a 500-foot cliff, time to exit the bike and take my chances that way" scenario. Both are rare, and in the overwhelming majority of cases brakes and/or maneuver is the right call, but those crazy exceptions happen where staying upright will hurt more than going horizontal.

Of course, to someone too stupid to realize that "lay 'er down" isn't avoiding an accident but CREATING an accident, such highly-technical nuance is surely lost on them.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #4575
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
I'll take my chances using the tires and brakes to stop me over steel and chrome any day. To me, sliding under a trailer would be far worse than hitting the side of it and possibly getting knocked away from it.
After posting the other day I was thinking this may have been one of those instances where the rider was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The closer he got to the truck, the more the trailer was coming into his lane and by the time he realized it, it was too late to do anything.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote