Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #676
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Since when a life insurance just pays for the funeral cost?
We're talking health and bike insurance.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #677
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
We're talking health and bike insurance.

That's bullshit.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #678
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
I went to a beer bar, on TN side. Granted the idea of beer bars, being from the UP and WI, strikes me as so backward and repressive. Bartender was going on about the deaths they had that year on the Dragon. I don't know if its ignorance, trying to scare you, or just southerns. But if you actually research, there is not as many deaths as some would lead you to believe.

Granted, if you are the one that year, its to many.
Maybe next time you decide to come south to ride our great roads you'll decide to stay home. We don't need or want you here clogging up our roads. And it is "southerners" not southerns. Talk about ignorance.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #679
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
So you are saying that the guys in brain buckets and chaps DON'T brake anything?
Quote:
That's bullshit.
What is Bullshit?

Porsche Audi VW
Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #680
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
"Medical bills from a serious get-off are likely to dwarf repairing any kind of bike. It does seem to me that minimizing that expense (not to mention the physical pain that goes along with it) is a good idea."

Be careful, and think about statements like this.

I could see this being the opening language in HR 666 "Omnibus Transportation Safety and Motorcycle Prohibition Act of 2013"

If it saves just one life...
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #681
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Quote:
So you are saying that the guys in brain buckets and chaps DON'T brake anything?
Quote:
That's bullshit.

Let me clarify.

Quote:
In that same wreck I also destroyed the Arai I was wearing. If I had been helmetless it would have been cheaper for me and my ins company.

Just sayin.
I.E. I'd be dead. No need to fix the wrist of a dead guy and cremation is pretty cheap (my choice for when I go).

Porsche Audi VW
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #682
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
What is Bullshit?
Saying that AGATT increases your insurance costs.

The inference being that the guys putting on all the gear are doing so because they crash more.

Which is bullshit.

In raw numbers 1000-1800cc bikes have the highest accident rate in the US, and as I noted there are a LOT more heavy cruisers than 20 something with GSXR1000s we are talking by a factor or 10 or so.

So while 20 somethings with sportbikes are over represented (with something like a 21% accident rate) the fact that they make up a less than a 1/5 of the total number of bikes on the road makes them statistically insignificant.

There is no hard set formula for a crash, so you can't correlate the amount of gear to the extent of injury, you can't no one can. Its a moot argument.

If you take a 30mph lowside who is going to be be more injured? Brainbucket Harley uniform or clowsuit? Hmm?

Vehicular damage, the $4000 959 highsiding a couple pages backis a write off if there is a scratch on the frame, the guy that rode dirty on the street glide will get his bike rebuilt for the low low price or $12,000.

I don't agree with your position.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #683
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Let me clarify.

I.E. I'd be dead. No need to fix the wrist of a dead guy and cremation is pretty cheap (my choice for when I go).
Except there are no assurances.

You may have just ended up brain damaged or paralyzed...which makes your rehabbed wrist pocket change.

See what I mean though?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #684
lemieuxmc
Banned

News Flash; B Curvin is pulling your chain a bit...

I get his point and it actually has been shown to some extent in the shortage of donor organs in CA.

Prior to the mandatory helmet law, more people rode bare headed. When the inevitable whatever percentage crashed, often at low speed, they would often suffer a fatal head injury. Nice, healthy, young specimen with only minor damage to the body, excellent donor material.

After mandatory helmet use was enacted, lots of casual riders quit and this reduced the total number of crashes. The remaining riders who suffer the inevitable percentage of crashes now are almost always wearing a helmet, so the previous minor, low speed fall that was an excellent source of donor bodies due to head trauma is converted to an orthopedic situation requiring surgery and rehab.

The percentage of disasterous, high speed crashes where the motorcyclist's body is unsuitable for organ donation because it was turned into carne asada meat is unchanged because head trauma was NOT the only injury that would result in fatality.

Think about it.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #685
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
If he survived the crash, did he survive the beatdown you gave him?
He survived but he removed my left peg with his leg. His leg was as close to being amputated as it could be and still have it. One blown curve has been changed the rest of his life. He still has his leg but the damage was extensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
What else could he have done!!? If he had touched the front brake, he would have flown right over them thar handlebars, which are sitting at the end of a 35 degree rake front end...

Such a huge shame of the ST1100. I hope you came out of that bowling frame OK.
Thanks to good gear, I had only fairly minor injuries. There was purple Harley paint on the left knee of my leathers. The ST was not as lucky. The impact from the HD destroyed all the plastic on the left and the pavement took care of the right side. My body removed the windshield. The tail light was unharmed but the bike was totaled.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #686
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Quote:
Saying that AGATT increases your insurance costs.

I didn't say it did. I said I'd be more inclined to think so. There is no proof one way or the other. I was making the point that people that claim no gear makes insurance go up are talking out their back sides. No one to date has linked any sort of study on this.

The inference being that the guys putting on all the gear are doing so because they crash more.

I never said they did. I wear ATGATT. But that's my choice.

Which is bullshit.

Quote:
Except there are no assurances.

You may have just ended up brain damaged or paralyzed...which makes your rehabbed wrist pocket change.

I was in the helmet when it smacked the ground. HARD. I assure you I would have been dead. I'm pretty certain the egg sized dent in the back would have seen to that. Sure, anything is possible (Phineas Gage comes to mind) but I don't believe I would have survived without the helmet I was wearing.

See what I mean though?

Sure, but I get tired of people spouting the insurance rate BS when there is zero proof.

See what I mean?

Porsche Audi VW
Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #687
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
News Flash; B Curvin is pulling your chain a bit...
I'm glad somebody gets it.

Porsche Audi VW
Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #688
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
"Medical bills from a serious get-off are likely to dwarf repairing any kind of bike. It does seem to me that minimizing that expense (not to mention the physical pain that goes along with it) is a good idea."

Be careful, and think about statements like this.

I could see this being the opening language in HR 666 "Omnibus Transportation Safety and Motorcycle Prohibition Act of 2013"

If it saves just one life...
I'm not going to suppress what I consider to be sensible ideas on the off chance that someone, somewhere, might legislate based on it. If you wish, then please do argue against my points on the merits of what I wrote. I don't think it gains us anything, however, to argue against saying it because of what someone else might do if they were to encounter that thought. Perhaps I should thank you for believing that my thought process is unique enough that this would never occur to anyone else without this post?
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #689
lemieuxmc
Banned

Last summer my friend nearly had his left foot removed by the cruiser peg on the Harley with apes that came over the double yellow and took him off his '69 Triumph.

If we hadn't been so busy trying to save Virgil's life, we may have been more motivated to work off the adrenaline rush by shortening the other guy's life expectancy.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #690
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
Huh? What's backward and repressive about a beer bar? Never been to TN (at least not while of drinking age AND of mind to drink. I presume it's a place to get a cold one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Er... isn't "Beer Bar" redundant?
They only sell beer, thats why they call them beer bars.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote